What exactly does God reveal through his creation Rom. 1:20

dizerner

Re: What exactly does God reveal through his creation Rom. 1

Post by dizerner » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:51 pm

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:32 pm

[quote="dizerner"]
because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him
they became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened

they changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an imageso professing to be wise, they became fools

they exchanged the truth of God for the lieTherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts

they worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator For this reason God gave them up to vile passions

they did not like to retain God in their knowledge so God gave them over to a debased mind

I see.

So, in a practical sense, a person would know that they were experiencing God's wrath by discerning that they have a debased mind, vile passions, lust, uncleanness, etc.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:28 am

morbo3000 wrote:
dizerner wrote:
because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him
they became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened

they changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an imageso professing to be wise, they became fools

they exchanged the truth of God for the lieTherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts

they worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator For this reason God gave them up to vile passions

they did not like to retain God in their knowledge so God gave them over to a debased mind

I see.

So, in a practical sense, a person would know that they were experiencing God's wrath by discerning that they have a debased mind, vile passions, lust, uncleanness, etc.
Actually, I think that listing does a great job of nailing down who it is that we are talking about in the passage. They previously knew God, had a connection with glory, had truth, worshiped the creator, and did not retain their knowledge of God. Now, who in the Biblical narrative does that apply to? Was wrath shown to those people in the lifetimes of the Apostles?

It's reasonable to spiritualize passages to some extent to apply them to us. But, we are not directly the focus of this passage.

Doug

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:23 pm

They previously knew God, had a connection with glory, had truth, worshiped the creator, and did not retain their knowledge of God.
Paul refers back to creation in verse 20, that's a long time for this to have occurred. Couldn't it be anyone, Jew or gentile, who fit the description?

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:19 pm

Homer wrote:
They previously knew God, had a connection with glory, had truth, worshiped the creator, and did not retain their knowledge of God.
Paul refers back to creation in verse 20, that's a long time for this to have occurred. Couldn't it be anyone, Jew or gentile, who fit the description?
Which Gentiles in the past fit this description?

Which Gentiles in Paul's day, who the passage could possibly apply to, fit this description?

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:24 pm

What is the visible, tangible manifestation of wrath in these passages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Return to “Acts & Epistles”