How can Perfected People be Continually Sanctified?

Paidion

How can Perfected People be Continually Sanctified?

Post by Paidion » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:14 pm

I am a bit puzzled over the following verse:
For by one offering He has perfected perpetually those who are being sanctified. (Heb 10:14)
The word translated as "perfected" is a perfect active indicative. The perfect tense indicates a completed act. The word might also be translated as "completed".

The word translated as "are being sanctified" is a present passive participle. "Are being sanctified" is the literal meaning of the word, or perhaps "are being made holy."

The word translated as "perpetually" literally means "carried through". This fact led me to think that perhaps "perpetually" (or as some render it "for all time" and others "forever") may not be a good translation. Perhaps it means that God has carried through the perfection of those who are being sanctified. But if they are already perfected, how can they be in the state of ongoing sanctification?

One possible solution may be that the word translated as "perfection" may, in this context, mean "maturity". After all, the adjectival form of the same word is rendered as "mature" by most translators in the following sentence:
Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. (Php 3:15)
Could the verse in question mean?
For by one offering He has carried through to maturity those who are being sanctified. (Heb 10:14)
I came to the above possibility just as I was writing this post. I had never thought of it previously. This solution makes sense to me. What do YOU think?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Acts & Epistles”