1 Corinthians 14:26

jonathan

1 Corinthians 14:26

Post by jonathan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:39 am

the chapter of 1 Cor. 14 is tantalizing but difficult! tantalizing because when we study ways God prefers our worship meetings to be conducted it makes sense to look at how churches did them under paul's watch & this chapter gives us the best glimpse we get of how things were functionally carried out. difficult because...well, just try to study it & read the commentaries.

anyhow, i think i've made a little progress on this one verse & wanted to share what i found & gather feedback from anyone else who has wrestled with this or other parts of the chapter. let me start off by quoting the verse. i'll use the NKJ.
26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.
the reason i was curious about this verse is that when i have read it i seemed to get the impression paul is expressing frustration, as in "how can it be that you all do this disgraceful thing i'm about to name?" this little verse seems to be an important turning point in the charismatic/noncharismatic divide. charismatics tend to see it as paul's encouragement for everyone to come to church prepared to give "a psalm, a teaching," etc., while noncharistmatics tend to see it as paul expressing frustration with a church that was too charismatic and needed to sit quietly while the pastor conducted affairs. i'm exaggerating the debate, i guess, but you get the point. churches seem to be adamantly on one side or the other in their interpretation.

what i did was looked at the greek for "how is it, then, brethren?" (i'm not a greek scholar but you may not need to be in this case). the greek is transliterated: Ti oun estin adelphoi. the definition given for these words in Biblos.com (a great resource, BTW) in order is "what then is it brethren."

when i saw this it reminded me of the many places in Rom. where paul is in argument mode & says "what then shall we say, brethren?" or "what shall we say then?" or even just "what then?" sure enough, when i went back to those other places i find almost identical greek words with slight variation.

for instance Rom. 3:9 begins "What then?" (Ti oun) which is (not surprisingly, i guess) "what then?" Rom. 4:1 begins "What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found..." in greek this is Ti aun eroumen which literally translates as "What then will we say?" there’s many other examples i could name. searching for “what then” or “what shall” in paul’s epistles turns up 13 examples in paul's epistles.

so what i concluded was that the present verse is probably not anything more than paul regathering his readers after a short discursis & saying “so where does that leave us in my larger argument?” there wouldn’t be anything pejorative in his tone. and in modern english, at least, “how then is it” can have that pejorative impression. like “how is it we can’t seem to get anything done around here?” or some other sarcastic utterance. it’s an idiomatic thing.

so i wondered why didn’t the NKJ translators use the more literal “what is it, then, brethren.” the answer seems to be obvious, that this is an ambiguous phrase in english, though its equivalent apparently was not in greek. if i was going through an argument & made an illustration, cited some scripture & then said “what is it, brethren?” your first impression is probably “what is what?” so apparently the NKJ translators opted to change it to “how is it,” but overlooking the unfortunate prompt of sarcasm we seem to unwittingly get as modern english speakers.

i looked at other good word for word translations & they seem to have avoided this mistake. since “what is it, brethren” (a word for word literal translation) is ambiguous they had to go anouther route, but i think they preserved the right meaning (if i am indeed correct). the NASB says “what is the outcome then, brothers?” (adding the word "outcome") the ESV says “what then, brothers?” (leaving untranslated the verb estin). the message translation says “so here’s what i want you to do” (added for grins).

so what is the outcome, then, brethren? it seems like i have to abandon the impression that paul is expressing frustration. but this change still leaves the passage tantalizingly ambiguous for me. it now appears that in saying “what then, brothers?” paul is gathering together his discursis of v. 21-25, or perhaps back to v. 6, and saying “so how should we apply the truths i’ve just brought forward for you.” that discursis has some interpretive challenges of its own, but it basically seems to be committed to showing that spiritual speaking gifts need to be comprehensible to edify the church & edifying the church in a church gathering is more important than merely exercizing a speaking gift for its own sake.

but paul’s following sentence still doesn’t say (as many charismatics seem to assume) “whenever you come together each of you should have a psalm, etc.” it only says “each of you has.” so that sounds descriptive of what they were doing, not prescriptive of what they should be doing. i wish we did have something prescriptive from paul here! and maybe with his words “whenever you come together...” are meant in the sense of “suppose you have a situation where you come together and each of you has...” i could see that as a valid reading. then his answer would be “the solution is to let everything be done for edification.”

but even paul’s descriptive words may be of some value. he doesn’t forbid each member (“each of you”) to come with these as long as everything is done in order. here we have a church that had sat under paul’s personal teaching for 18 months & was operating in this way that would be impossible in the typical modern institutional church & though he doesn’t endorse everyone coming with something to share (it appears it wasn’t in his purview) he doesn’t take the opportunity to correct it.

so maybe this is all we are able to walk away from the passage with. i find many “one another” passages in the NT that seem logistically to require every-member participation in the church. (i’m still looking at them, but it seems naive to think all of that “one anothering” was only to happen outside of the specialized church meetings). but i’m left with something less than an apostle telling us to keep the meeting open & away from being dominated by one or two specialized people set before a passive audience.

any comments?
Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers (Eph. 4:29).

TK

Re: 1 Corinthians 14:26

Post by TK » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:13 pm

I am not sure if Paul was endorsing "every member must participate every time in every meeting" but neither do I believe he was endorsing a situation where we stare at the back of people's heads while listening to the same person give the sermon week after week.

I posted this quote from a Norman Grubb article under another discussion about revival, and it seems apropos here:
Suppose a pastor sees that his first job is not to preach sermons to a passive congregation, but to lead a fellowship in the light and in the Word. Suppose that not preaching services, but fellowship meetings of the New Testament pattern become the center of his church life, where the point of interest is not one paid and polished preacher, but a community who are learning to hear God's voice for themselves down in the dust of daily life, and who are ready to share with others in humility those spots in their hearts and lives where He has dealt with them that week and where He has spoken the word of light from His Word. And suppose this starts with the preacher, and his wife! Then you have community revival.
TK

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Jonathan,

Thanks for the informative post.

I Corinthians 14 seems to me to contain both prescriptive and descriptive elements. As I read it, Paul seems to be describing, and not criticizing, the basic format of how the Church was meeting. But he did have some criticism of a particular ingredient that had become problematic in the meetings. That is, speaking in tongues -- or rather, how that gift was being exercised in the context of the gathering. His overall purpose in this text seems to be to correct how this particular gift (tongues) was being used (or misused) during the meetings, and not to suggest a total revamping of the meeting format. I think Paul liked the participatory format of the meetings.

Those who use "How is it then, brethren?" to support the notion that Paul preferred an orator mesmerizing a placid audience, seem to be leaning on a straw. There is precious little support for that idea here, it seems to me. Paul ends the verse by saying, "Let all things be done for edification." Things (multiple elements of a participatory meeting), not thing.

Mutual, not unilateral, edification seems to be the goal.

Candlepower

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:34 pm

The disagreement appears to revolve around that little word "τις". Should it be translated "what", or should it be translated "how" in this context? The little word can be used in many different ways, but it seems it is used as "what" the most often. What follows are it's translation in the NAS, which I obtained from my ONLINE BIBLE program:

5101. τις tis; an interrog. pron. related to 5100; who? which? what?:—

NAS-anything (1), how (7), how* (2), person (1), something (3), suppose one (2), what (266), what each (1), what* (5), which (24), which one (3), who (128), whom (16), whose (6), why (70), why* (33).

I am not sure what the asterisks mean, but you can see that among the definitions without asterisks, the NAS translated the word as "what" 266 times, and as "how" only 7 times.

At first I was under the impression that Paul was advocating the ministry of the Body of Christ as opposed to the one-man ministry which developed much later. Indeed, I am still convinced that that was the practice of the first century churches, and that the overseers were not appointed to deliver all the discourses or lead all the studies, but to oversee the assemblies in order to keep them in order so that some individuals would neither "take over" the assemblies nor lead them into extremism.

But it seems that in Corinthian church, the local assemblies were, in fact, becoming extreme in a number of ways, and that Paul was trying to correct these through his letters to them. For example, they had all been speaking in tongues simultaneously (as is still done in some churches). Paul wrote that if an unbeliever should come in, he would think they were crazy. So Paul wrote (vs 27), "If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret..."

What convinced me that Paul was addressing disorder in vs 26, is the way it is worded in Greek, and is also translated so, in the NAS:

When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.[color]

Paul seems to have written that each person in an assembly tried to personally exercise every one of these gifts and ministries. I think he is suggesting here as well as elsewhere, that some have one or two gifts or ministries, and others have one or two different ones. No one should try to do everything. Nevertheless, the spirit of God should be permitted to operate in everyone as is fitting. Body ministry should be maintained, but in an orderly way.

The present concept of a single pastor doing everything, or if not, limiting the ministry to 3 or 4 persons, is an aberration. In the assembly, there should be room for each disciple to exercise his spiritual gift(s) and to minister to the others gathered, and so build up the body of Christ in the most holy faith.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Acts & Epistles”