1 Peter 5:8-10 (roaring lion devouring and suffering)

Suzana

Re: 1 Peter 5:8-10 (roaring lion devouring and suffering)

Post by Suzana » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 am

TK wrote: I peter 5:8 (NKJV): Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

what all goes into being sober and vigilant?

Well, it says (in 2 Corinthians 2:11, referring to need to forgive)
...lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices.

and
James 4:7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Romans 12:
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

I would think "being sober and vigilant" would be to maintain a life of discipleship, and all that entails (submit to God)- also being aware that the enemy is out to trip us up with various temptations, (probably tailor-made for each of us, according to our weaknesses). It's up to us to examine ourselves & see where we stand in our walk of following Jesus; are there areas of sin, and have we repented, or have we allowed ourselves to drift away.

In practice, I think this would involve various factors - studying God's word; a willingness to hear & be obedient to it; prayer and hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit, and also be on the alert to God speaking to us through others or through circumstances; a repentant attitude and willingness to be corrected when necessary.
We all of us stumble, but I think where Satan would be able to "devour" someone could only happen if that person refused to repent from sinning knowingly and consistently, & willingly walked away from a life of obedience to Christ.
Just some of my thoughts; it's a big subject!
Suzana

Return to “Acts & Epistles”