Romans Lectures

dean198

Re: Romans Lectures

Post by dean198 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:57 pm

mikew wrote:I haven't felt like the Spain trip was anything central to the idea of the letter. The main thrust was to remove Gentiles' boasting and promote in them a benevolent heart toward Jews. Gentile believers initially had their experience of salvation through the Jewish believers' synagogues and such Gentile believers got a dose of legalism that soured any interest in the Law (Jewish Law or Law of Moses). So by the time the Jews returned from banishment, the Gentiles had new rules and new doctrines. The Gentiles controlled things and rejected the Jews from fellowship in the main gatherings.
Sounds like you put all the blame on the Gentiles. I get the impression that all sides were equally at fault. I do think that the Spanish mission was very central to Paul's plans, since he had finished up his preaching in the East. Rome was of course halfway to Spain from Jerusalem. Going via Rome also gave Paul a good 'excuse' to make an exception to his normal practice of not going where Christ was already named.
Jewett in the end does not show the letter to the Romans in a simple light. He doesn't provide a key that makes Romans easy to read and understand.
I don't know. I would love to see a summary of all the various commentators and scholars and how they interpret and view Romans. Even if Jewett was wrong on everything else (and I don't know where he 'fits' in), his research in discovering the cultural setting, and his arguments vis a vis the Spanish mission, would still be good in themselves, in my opinion.
What is critical to understand here is that Paul had to write a letter that could be understood quickly by his audience with the letter read aloud to the group. If the letter were so difficult that it took them ten years to figure it out, that would be too late for Paul's purpose.
Yep, I agree. It would have been obvious to them. I don't know how this relates to Jewett - perhaps you could summarise why you think his view isn't simple, or why you think it fails this test? Perhaps he would say that they would have instinctively read it the way he teaches it. I can't comment, because I don't know what sets him apart or how he differs from you.
When we can see that Paul addressed problems of the Gentile audience and that the transition from Rom 1 into Rom 2:1 was an appeal similar to Nathan's approach to King David (2Sam 12:1-9), the letter can start to be seen as having a very simple flow to it. Our difficulty comes from a detachment from the circumstances of the times and the emotions of the letter.
Yep, that was one of the insights I really appreciated in Steve's messages (which I'm still half-way through). I'm not sure where you are going with all this - it seems to me that you are arguing against something without really stating what it is, so I'm not really following where you are trying to go, or what points you are trying to make (or why you seem to phrase them as though I didn't hold them myself).
Even chapter 16 makes sense when we understand the divisions in the Roman Church. The greetings were to those who were not welcomed in the general fellowship. If they were direct audience to the letter, Paul would have given direct greetings. So Paul was giving sort of a practical step to reconcile the Church groups.
Well I totally disagree with this one - I take it to have been written to all the house churches in Rome. I don't think there was any general fellowship beyond the various house churches, and this is where some of the cultural setting can help us. Nor do I see things as an either/or - the occasion that Steve gave doesn't exclude that this was within a wider context of a Spanish mission (Jewett holds that there were divisions between the Jews and the Gentiles). I simply wanted to make the observation that many scholars do now see the epistle as occasional. But you are almost suggesting that Paul just half-heartedly suggested he might go to Spain. But if he really did plan to go, this would present huge logistical challenges. The people Paul writes to in chap. 16 are people he was already acquainted with, and therefore his greeting to them was a way of encouraging good-will towards him. He sends Phebe on the delicate mission - someone who has already underwritten Paul's work - and he asks the Romans to help her in whatever business she proposes to them.

mikew

Post by mikew » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:55 pm

dean198 wrote:
mikew wrote:I haven't felt like the Spain trip was anything central to the idea of the letter. The main thrust was to remove Gentiles' boasting and promote in them a benevolent heart toward Jews. Gentile believers initially had their experience of salvation through the Jewish believers' synagogues and such Gentile believers got a dose of legalism that soured any interest in the Law (Jewish Law or Law of Moses). So by the time the Jews returned from banishment, the Gentiles had new rules and new doctrines. The Gentiles controlled things and rejected the Jews from fellowship in the main gatherings.
Sounds like you put all the blame on the Gentiles. I get the impression that all sides were equally at fault. I do think that the Spanish mission was very central to Paul's plans, since he had finished up his preaching in the East. Rome was of course halfway to Spain from Jerusalem. Going via Rome also gave Paul a good 'excuse' to make an exception to his normal practice of not going where Christ was already named.
I don't know who was at fault. Paul just was addressing the letter to those in control. Probably the circumstances just progressed naturally to the point where Paul had to resolve the problem. The main problem at this point was that the negative attitude of Gentiles had stopped any success in making any unsaved Jews jealous that the Gentiles were converting to Christ.
dean198 wrote:
mikew wrote:Jewett in the end does not show the letter to the Romans in a simple light. He doesn't provide a key that makes Romans easy to read and understand.
I don't know. I would love to see a summary of all the various commentators and scholars and how they interpret and view Romans. Even if Jewett was wrong on everything else (and I don't know where he 'fits' in), his research in discovering the cultural setting, and his arguments vis a vis the Spanish mission, would still be good in themselves, in my opinion.
I haven't made any conclusion on the significance of the plans for Spain.
dean198 wrote:
mikew wrote: What is critical to understand here is that Paul had to write a letter that could be understood quickly by his audience with the letter read aloud to the group.
Yep, I agree. It would have been obvious to them. I don't know how this relates to Jewett - perhaps you could summarise why you think his view isn't simple, or why you think it fails this test? ... I can't comment, because I don't know what sets him apart or how he differs from you.
If the lettter is still complex to us after seeing the proposed structured argument, then i doesn't seem like the proposal is correct. I found the same trouble with the writing of Douglas Moo. See? Once the situation and argument were reconstructed, we too should have a simple time reading it. It just doesn't seem that this letter is to be understood as being in a formal rhetorical format.
I have found a simple or logical flow that shows Romans in a manner that would be sensible to the original Gentile audience and to us today.
http://www.theos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2721

dean198 wrote:
mikew wrote: When we can see that Paul addressed problems of the Gentile audience and that the transition from Rom 1 to 2:1 was an appeal similar to Nathan's approach to King David, the letter can be seen to have a very simple flow to it.
Yep, that was one of the insights I really appreciated in Steve's messages. I'm not sure where you are going with all this - it seems to me that you are arguing against something without really stating what it is, so I'm not really following where you are trying to go ... (or why you seem to phrase them as though I didn't hold them myself).
Yes sorry that I only am able to hint at my concerns and differences. I don't know much of your view so I've only targeted general misconceptions. I have seen how rarely anyone has noticed the Nathan/David similarity but do realize that folks here are familiar with it. I'm interested in the topic and try to present some ideas and see what happens.
dean198 wrote:
mikew wrote:Even chapter 16 makes sense when we understand the divisions. The greetings were to those who were not welcomed in the general fellowship. ... So Paul was giving sort of a practical step to reconcile the Church groups.
I take it to have been written to all the house churches in Rome. I don't think there was any general fellowship beyond the various house churches, and this is where some of the cultural setting can help us. ... I simply wanted to make the observation that many scholars do now see the epistle as occasional. But you are almost suggesting that Paul just half-heartedly suggested he might go to Spain. ... The people Paul writes to in chap. 16 are people he was already acquainted with, and therefore his greeting to them was a way of encouraging good-will towards him.
Thanks. Sounds like there Jewett has provided some interesting and useful information. I have been getting curious about the cultural, living and educational situation of the Gentiles. I just read some of the info about Jews in Rome by Wiefel that is helpful. Yes indeed there were people in the house churches that Paul knew. There are just different ways of interpreting the role of chapter 16. Its all quite an interesting study though.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

dean198

Post by dean198 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:30 pm

mikew wrote: If the lettter is still complex to us after seeing the proposed structured argument, then i doesn't seem like the proposal is correct. I found the same trouble with the writing of Douglas Moo. See? Once the situation and argument were reconstructed, we too should have a simple time reading it. It just doesn't seem that this letter is to be understood as being in a formal rhetorical format.
I haven't read Moo, and I'm not sure if his approach is classical Reformed or whether he incorporates the New Perspective. But I agree that the solution, despite the fact that it has been missed for 1900 years, should be so obvious that we kick ourselves, once we've cleared away all the mistaken notions - I'm still going through the latter process, and adding to that a awareness of different ways of approaching different passages (something I love about Steve's lectures is he usually gives all the various options out there, and I find that helpful and it saves a lot of time).
I have found a simple or logical flow that shows Romans in a manner that would be sensible to the original Gentile audience and to us today.
http://www.theos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2721
Thanks, I'll try to study that.
Yes sorry that I only am able to hint at my concerns and differences. I don't know much of your view so I've only targeted general misconceptions. I have seen how rarely anyone has noticed the Nathan/David similarity but do realize that folks here are familiar with it. I'm interested in the topic and try to present some ideas and see what happens.
I don't really have any views about Romans. I used to have a more or less typical reformed view of it, and have been spending years unlearning that. I was ready to shelve trying to understand Romans a few years back, but got some encouragement after reading N T Wright and having some old conceptions challenged - particularly with regards to the idea of the righteousness of God. Now I'm just taking it all very slowly.
mikew wrote: Thanks. Sounds like there Jewett has provided some interesting and useful information. I have been getting curious about the cultural, living and educational situation of the Gentiles. I just read some of the info about Jews in Rome by Wiefel that is helpful. Yes indeed there were people in the house churches that Paul knew. There are just different ways of interpreting the role of chapter 16. Its all quite an interesting study though.
Yes, one article that is quite good is “Paul, Phoebe, and the Spanish Mission” by Robert Jewett, in The Social World of Formative Christianity and Judaism, edited by Jacob Neusner, Ernest S. Frerichs, Peder Borgen, and Richard Horsley (Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1988). In his commentary he argues that most of the Christians would have met in dilapidated tenements, and that few would have been able to meet in the houses of the rich, and he draws some implications from this.

dean198

Post by dean198 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:31 pm

darinhouston wrote:NT Wright has a lot to say about this -- I'll try to find something when I get a chance unless Rick beats me to it.
That would be great. He holds the same view as I do doesn't he?

Return to “Acts & Epistles”