I Corinthians 7:18-19

_thrombomodulin

I Corinthians 7:18-19

Post by _thrombomodulin » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:00 pm

I Cor 7:18-19
. 18 Was anyone called while circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Was anyone called while uncircumcised? Let him not be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.
Is Paul is talking about a person being a Jew vs. Gentile, or the physical act of circumcision, or maybe both? I find this passage unclear because Paul implies that someone can change their status - but this is only possible in one of two directions. Namely, as far as I know, a Jew cannot become a Gentile, nor can one who is circumcised become uncircumcised. Why does Paul say "Let him not become uncircumcised" if in any case, such was impossible?

Thanks
Peter
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:53 pm

The Greek word "epispaomai" does not mean "to become uncircumcised". It means "to draw out upon". What follows is a note from the Online Bible's definition of the word:

From the days of Antiochus Epiphanes [B.C. 175-164] down, there had been Jews who, in order to conceal from heathen persecutors or scoffers the external sign of their nationality, circumcision, sought artificially to compel nature to reproduce the prepuce, by extending or drawing forward with an iron instrument the remnant of it still left, so as to cover the glands.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

Return to “Acts & Epistles”