I saw, you saw, he saw, Esau

_Swiftelk

I saw, you saw, he saw, Esau

Post by _Swiftelk » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:51 pm

Hebrews Chapter 12 Verse 16 Says

"Lest ther be an fornicator, or profave person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears"

SO... Would this be making the case that if someone were to commit a (meaning one) sexual sin that they are in the same shoes as Esau and that even if they tried to repent they could not?

Is the "birthright" and the "blessing" equivalent to heaven?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Murf

Post by _Murf » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:17 pm

I don't believe committing one sin of any kind excludes one from heaven; otherwise neither Peter nor Paul would be in Heaven.

The book of Hebrews is written to Jewish Christians who were considering returning to Judism, probably due to persecution by their Jewish friends and family. That is why the author compares them to Esau who lightly regarded his birthright as the firstborn son and sold it for a meal.

If the Jewish Christians returned to Judism they too would be lightly regarding the blessing in Christ. Even though Judism was also established by God it was replaced by Christianity.

The birthright/blessing in the passage could be a symbol for Heaven but I think it more likely represent the blessings we receive from a relationship with Christ.
[/list][/code][/quote]
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:29 am

If the Jewish Christians returned to Judism they too would be lightly regarding the blessing in Christ. Even though Judism was also established by God it was replaced by Christianity.
Not quite accurate, I think. Rather Christianity is the expression of true Judaism as God intended it to be.

But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, a wild olive shoot, were grafted in their place to share the richness of the olive tree, do not boast over the branches. If you do boast, remember it is not you that support the root, but the root that supports you. Roman 11: 17, 18

Christianity is not a different "olive tree" from that of Judaism, but non-Jews were grafted into the same one, supported by the same "root".
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:11 am

Christianity is not a different "olive tree" from that of Judaism, but non-Jews were grafted into the same one, supported by the same "root".
Please see my new topic under "Miscellaneous Theological Topics".
Reason:
A Berean

Return to “Acts & Epistles”