Heb 12:2 vs Rev 3:21

_SoaringEagle

Post by _SoaringEagle » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:40 pm

What do you make of the three Isaiah, John, and Luke (Acts) account of it? Isaiah clearly refers to Yahweh. John seems to refer to Christ, and Paul refers to the Holy Spirit as the one who spoke. Thus, the Triune God.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:08 am

Nobody argues with the fact of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
But that fact doesn't of necessity imply "The Triune God".

In His prayer to the Father, Jesus said, "This is aeonion life, that they may know you, the only true God and Jesus Christ whom You have sent."

Here our Lord Jesus Himself calls the Father "the only true God."
If the only true God is a Triunity, then would not Jesus be included in "the only true God"? Why does He refer to Himself separately?

Paul also wrote:
1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

Paul, also, mentions the "one God" separately from "the one mediator".
But according to Trinitarianism, the "one God" should include the mediator.
The Father begat Jesus, His only begotten Son at the beginning of time. So He is Another like His Father. He is Deity as is His Father. But He is nontheless a different divine Individual from His Father.

Now let's consider the following passage:

John 14:23 Jesus answered him, "If a man loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

Jesus promises that He and His Father will make their home with those who love Him and keep His word. How do They do that? Don't They dwell in Heaven? I propose that They do that by extending Their Personalities into the minds and hearts of Christ's disciples. Is that not the holy spirit?
Why propose a third divine Individual? The Father and the Son share the same spirit. The spirit is the very Persons of the Father and the Son.
With this is mind, let's consider the three passages:

Isaiah 6:1-8
In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and his train filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim; each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory." And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke.

And I said: "Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!"

Then flew one of the seraphim to me, having in his hand a burning coal which he had taken with tongs from the altar. And he touched my mouth, and said: "Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin forgiven."

And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?"

Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."

And he said, "Go, and say to this people: ‘Hear and hear, but do not understand; see and see, but do not perceive.

John 12:41 Isaiah said this because he saw his glory and spoke of him.

Acts 28:25,26 So, as they disagreed among themselves, they departed, after Paul had made one statement: "The Holy Spirit was right in saying to your fathers through Isaiah the prophet: ‘Go to this people, and say, You shall indeed hear but never understand, and you shall indeed see but never perceive, etc.

Isaiah refers to Yahweh, as you have said. The Hebrew word "YHW" is translated as "LORD". But it is the "Lord" (adonai) who speaks --- the Son of God. And as John wrote, Isaiah saw the glory of Christ in His vision and spoke of Him.

Notice in the Acts passage, Luke wrote that Paul made the statement, "The holy spirit was right in saying to your fathers through Isaiah the prophet: Go to this people, and say, You shall indeed hear but never understand, and you shall indeed see but never perceive, etc."

Of course, it was always the spirit of God --- the spirit of the Father and of the Son --- who spoke through the prophets. But that in no way indicates that the spirit is part of a "Triune God". We often read about "the spirit of God" in the NT, as well as "the spirit of Jesus". Do we ever read about "the spirit of the Spirit"?

Please don't think that because I didn't capitalize "spirit" that I think the spirit is a mere force. I don't. I believe the spirit is personal --- the very Persons of the Father and the Son. In order to empasize that personality, I think it better to call the holy spirit "he" rather than "it", though "it" is appropriate if correctly understood.

In conclusion, I still don't see that these verses (or any other part of the Bible except I John 5:7 in the King James) which indicates a Trinity. And we know, of course, that John didn't write I John 5:7. It was added many centuries later.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

Return to “Acts & Epistles”