Ephesians 6:1-2 "parents in the lord"

_darin-houston

Ephesians 6:1-2 "parents in the lord"

Post by _darin-houston » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:02 pm

I have a little Father's Day question for you guys....

Our sermon today was based on Ephesians 6:1-2.
6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
6:2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;
I was struck with the syntax differences between 1 and 2 -- the commentaries I've read suggest that the "in the lord" reference is to the instructions needing to be consistent with the Lord's will before before you need to obey. However, I also note the term "parents" in 1 and "father and mother" in 2. Is it possible that the "obeying" in verse 1 is intended to be in reference to obeying your spiritual mentors or those who led you to Christ, where the "honouring" in verse 2 is in reference to your actual mom and dad.

Anyone a greek scholar? Any ideas?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_anothersteve

Post by _anothersteve » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:40 pm

Anyone a greek scholar?
Not me :)
Any ideas?
I do have an idea.

In verse 2 he may have simply been quoting the command, as recorded in the OT, in order to solidify his point in verse 1.
Reason:
Avatar...My daughter and I standing on a glass floor. well over 1000 feet above ground at the CN Tower in Toronto...the tiny green dots beside my left foot are trees.

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:17 pm

It might be helpful to look some other passages which seem to use "in the Lord" in a similar manner:

Colossians 3:18 Wives, be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

The idea seems to be that being "in the Lord", that is, being disciples of Christ, it is only fitting that wives be subject to their husbands.

1 Corinthians 16:19 The churches of Asia send greetings. Aquila and Prisca, together with the church in their house, send you hearty greetings in the Lord.

Sending hearty greetings is fitting for those who are in the Lord.

2 Corinthians 2:12 When I came to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ, a door was opened for me in the Lord.

Because Paul was in the Lord and operated in the Lord, it was only fitting that God should open a door for him to preach the gospel.

A few more to consider:

Ephesians 4:17 Now this I affirm and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds;

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.

Philippians 2:19 I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I may be cheered by news of you.

Philippians 2:29 So receive him in the Lord with all joy; and honor such men.

It seems that in each case, people in the Lord do things or are expected to do things which further the Lord's purposes.

And so:

Ephesians 6:1 Children, listen to your parents in the Lord, for this is right.

It is my guess that Paul had in mind Christian families, families who are "in the Lord. In such families it is only fitting that children listen to their parents. When children obey their parents the Lord's will and purposes are being fulfilled.

There's no doubt in my mind that Paul is talking about natural parents here, and that the following verse is a quote from the law of Moses to back up his request.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:41 pm

Makes sense - I'd just heard people refer to their "Father in the lord" in the context of their spiritual mentor and wondered.
Reason:

_MoGrace2u

Post by _MoGrace2u » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:18 pm

It would seem that those "in the Lord" are the ones abiding in Christ. (1 John)
Reason:
Robin

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:39 pm

It would seem that those "in the Lord" are the ones abiding in Christ. (1 John)
I agree. Yet, "in the Lord" also seems to refer to certain actions which are carried out in His name, or in accordance with His will.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

Return to “Acts & Epistles”