"Law written on their hearts" Rom. 2:15

_Derek

"Law written on their hearts" Rom. 2:15

Post by _Derek » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:17 pm

Hey everyone,
Rom 2:14 For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law.
Rom 2:15 They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them

Would this be talking about Gentile Christians? The only other place I see God's law written on anyone's heart is in Jer. 31:33 where the New Covenant is spoken of.
Jer 31:33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

God bless,
Derek
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_Les Wright

Post by _Les Wright » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:49 pm

Hi Derek,

Biblically speaking.. most likely you are right! I didn't catch it myself, but Steve pointed it out in his lectures on Romans (which by the way are very good!).

The implication of this being a reference to Gentile believers means that this isn't a proof text for the 'universal moral law' or whatever you want to call it.

Les
Reason:

_DonO

Post by _DonO » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:46 pm

Could it be the human conscience Paul was refferring to here? We all are born with the knowledge of good and evil. It's just as we get older we can sear sp? our conscience so much we become sin hardened.
Reason:
All that glitters ain't gold, BEWARE of false prophets and satans ministers who decieve the flock.

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:36 pm

Could it be the human conscience Paul was refferring to here? We all are born with the knowledge of good and evil. It's just as we get older we can sear sp? our conscience so much we become sin hardened.

I had thought that that was what he meant, and I do think that men have a conscience. But it says that they have God's law written on their hearts, which again, is said to be a result of the New Covenant from Jer. 31:33.
Steve pointed it out in his lectures on Romans (which by the way are very good!).
I went looking for this part of the Rom. lectures and it said that this section was missing. Does he mention it in another section of the lectures?
Thanks for the help!

Derek
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_Les Wright

Post by _Les Wright » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:57 pm

Hi Derek,

I have another set of Romans lectures from the GCS in Thunder Bay in 2003/04 I believe that should have this section.

If you or anybody else is interested, why don't you private message me for more info.

Tx
Les
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:06 am

This thread's kind of old but....

Here's a link to the N. T. Wright Page where Wright has an article: "The Law in Romans 2." (If you google it you can view it in HTML).

To quickly summarize Wright's position on the Gentiles in Ro. 2 -- he sees them as Gentile Christians. I do too.

I've "guessed" that Steve Gregg's position is the same as Wright's, going by Steve's overall exegesis of Romans.

If anyone sees this thread, lol, what would you think about a new thread on "N.T. Wright and the New Perspective on Paul?"

Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift, this, and all days!
Rick
Reason:

_Les Wright

Post by _Les Wright » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:34 pm

Since I've had a few requests for the 'missing' lecture, I have posted two of Steve's teachings from the GCS in ThunderBay when I was there at:

http://www.mediamax.com/moreorleswright ... MANS03.mp3
http://www.mediamax.com/moreorleswright ... MANS04.mp3

These may not be posted for ever.

Les
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:12 pm

'Got em...Thanx Les Wright (I'm sort of new around here).
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

Return to “Acts & Epistles”