"shall have been bound in heaven". .???

MMathis

"shall have been bound in heaven". .???

Post by MMathis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:17 am

Charles Stanley quoted this on his program today with a few words changed.

He stated "whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.

That would seem to change the meaning completely. Is this a view anyone is familiar with?

Matthew 18:18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

Paidion

Re: "shall have been bound in heaven". .???

Post by Paidion » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 pm

I think the context tells us a lot:

If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Jesus founded His "Church" (or "Assembly"). There is only one Assembly of Christ. He gave His Assembly authority. If a person sins against another and will not repent, the church may excommunicate him. He will be "loosed" on earth. That act of the Assembly is recognized in heaven. However, if the man repents (has a change of heart and mind) the Assembly can receive him into it fellowship again or "bind" him.

This very thing happened in the Assembly at Corinth. One of its members had been copulating with his step-mother. In his first letter to the Assembly at Corinth, Paul told them to excommunicate the man—to shun him ("Do not even eat with such a one" )

I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people — not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler —  not even to eat with such a one. For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside. "Purge the evil person from among you." (1 Cor 5:10-13)

However, by the time Paul wrote his second letter to the Assembly, the man had repented. Now Paul asked them to forgive him, and accept him back into the assembly.

For I wrote you out of much affliction and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to cause you pain but to let you know the abundant love that I have for you. But if any one has caused pain, he has caused it not to me, but in some measure — not to put it too severely — to you all. For such a one this censure by the many is enough; so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him. For this is why I wrote, that I might test you and know whether you are obedient in everything. Any one whom you forgive, I also forgive. What I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ. (2 Cor 2:2-10)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “The Gospels”