Zacchaeus

mattrose

Zacchaeus

Post by mattrose » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:13 pm

I was reading an award winning commentary on the Gospel of Luke today and came across a very different interpretation of the Zacchaeus story. Usually, at least as far as I know, the story has been interpreted as the story of a seeker who meets Jesus and converts. But this commentator interprets the story very differently. Here is the relevant section:

"The verbs in Zacchaeus's speech [19:8] are in the present tense: 'I give... I pay back.' They have often been interpreted as examples of the 'futuristic present' or as having the nuance of 'present resolve.' In this case, Luke would be portraying Zacchaeus as responding not to those who defame him in v. 7, but to the message of Jesus. Verse 8 would refer to his repentance, while vv 9-10 woudl refer to his being saved (usually understood in a spiritual sense).

It is fully consistent with the progression of the Lukan narrative to this point, however, to take these verbs as present progressives: 'My customary practice is to give half of what I have to the poor, etc.' Luke's narrative mentions nothing of Zacchaeus's need for repentance, act of repentance, or faith; nor of Jesus' summons to repentance; nor does he in any other way structure this episode as a 'story of conversion.' According to this reading, Zacchaeus does not resolve to undertake new practices but presents for Jesus' evaluation his current behaviors regarding money. He even joins the narrator in referring to Jesus as 'Lord.' Jesus' reference to 'salvation', then, signifies Zacchaeus's vindication and restoration to the community of God's people; he is not an outsider, after all, but has evidenced through his economic practices his kinship with Abraham. Zacchaeus thus joins the growing roll of persons whose 'repentance' lies outside the narrative, who appear on the margins of the people of God, and yet who possess insight into and commitment to the values of Jesus' mission that are exemplary."

I was curious if there were any thoughts on these differing interpretations. Was Zacchaeus already a member of God's people or did he become one in that day? I recognize that this is a minor issue.

Paidion

Re: Zacchaeus

Post by Paidion » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:42 pm

It's an interesting idea, but I doubt that this understanding fully fits the facts of the narrative. Consider the following statement of Zacchæus:

...if I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation, I restore fourfold." (Luke 19:8)

Barnes' comments reflect my own thoughts about the matter:
We cannot suppose that this had been always his practice, for no man would wantonly extort money from another, and then restore him at once four times as much; but it means that he was made sensible of his guilt; perhaps that his mind had been a considerable time perplexed in the matter, and that now he was resolved to make the restoration.
Also, I don't think the fact that Zacchæus addressed Jesus as "κυριος" indicates that he regarded Jesus as his lord. Rather addressing a person as "κυριος" was tantamount to our current practice of addressing someone respectfully as "Sir". Here is an example of this:

On the next day, which followed the Day of Preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees gathered together to Pilate, saying, "Sir, we remember, while He was still alive, how that deceiver said, ‘After three days I will rise.’ (Matthew 27:62,63 NKJV)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

The commentator (Joel Green) also doesn't think Zacchaeus was short (probably just young)

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:31 am

mattrose wrote:
The commentator (Joel Green) also doesn't think Zacchaeus was short (probably just young)
I disagree. Zacchaeus was a wee little man.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:41 am

I agree... don't mess with our favorite kid songs!

AaronBDisney

Post by AaronBDisney » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Not to swerve this away from the meaning of his repayment, but on the side issue of short in stature possibly meaning young in age; I understand the words could mean that possibly, but the context screams out that we're speaking in terms of physical height in my opinion

3 And he sought to see who Jesus was, but could not because of the crowd, for he was of short stature. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed up into a sycamore tree to see Him, for He was going to pass that way.

On the main point of your thread. Very interesting, but I have nothing to add other than trying to permanently divert your original intention I guess :lol:

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:25 pm

At first I, too, thought the context clearly required "short in stature", but as you say, Aaron, the Greek words themselves could mean "young in age." Then I thought, "Yes. Someone young in age might be quite likely to climb a tree in order to get a better view of a famous person.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “The Gospels”