The Instructions of Jesus

TK

The Instructions of Jesus

Post by TK » Sun May 08, 2011 8:17 am

As you know, Jesus gave a lot of instructions to his disciples. A lot to them seem to have been for the disciples alone-- but how are we really to know?

For example, when he sent them out, he said: " And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give." Mt. 10:7-8. (This is something of a "mantra" in the chuch I attend-- i.e. this is something of a mission statement).

Most Christians dont have a problem with the "preaching" part-- we all know we are supposed to share our faith. But what about the healing and cleansing and casting out part? Does only part of this instruction ( that was truthfully given just to the disciples) apply to us, or does all of it, or none of it?

If none of it applies to us, then why does THIS apply to us: “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

If the passage from Mt. 10 DOES apply to us today (all of it) why do we tend to ignore the healing and cleansing and casting part?

TK

darinhouston

Re: The Instructions of Jesus

Post by darinhouston » Sun May 08, 2011 9:12 am

I think it was intended for them only, but there's nothing to suggest we shouldn't follow their model for our lives (and why not?). I think they had all the spiritual gifts, those of us with fewer might have parts of those instructions that we are led to follow, and of course perhaps all in measure from time to time.

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun May 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi TK

Consider what Jesus did before sending the twelve out:

Luke 9:1 (New King James Version)

1. Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases.

In the Greek behind the "power and authority" we find that the power is miraculous and the authority must be obeyed. IMO the question is whether that same power and authority has been given to us. However, we can for sure pray.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon May 09, 2011 9:11 am

TK wrote:If none of it applies to us, then why does THIS apply to us: “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
There is a group of Christians known as "Cooneyites" or "Two by Twos" who believe the great commission also applies only to the apostles (including modern day apostles which the Two by Twos call "The Workers").
So the ordinary "members" of the Two by Twos don't proclaim the gospel. The ones I know usually do not even speak of the things of God to others. This is the function of "The Workers" who go out "Two by Two" exactly as Christ instructed the first apostles.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

steve

Post by steve » Mon May 09, 2011 9:58 am

I do not believe that every Christian is a preacher. In the Book of Acts we find only a small number of preachers (mostly the apostles, as well as Stephen and Philip—though the latter is specifically called "the evangelist", distinguishing him from other Philips in the church who were not evangelists). Anyone can (and, I think, should) share Christ whenever and to whomever the Spirit may lead, but there are certainly other gifts that are equally important, which may be possessed by Christians who are not preachers.

When it comes to instructions to the apostles as preachers (as opposed to simply as Christians), it is probably safe to say that Jesus was identifying the principles defining the best platform from which to preach the Gospel. It may be that some preachers, whose ministries significantly differ from those of the apostles in other respects, might be led by the Spirit to slightly modify some of the principles, where doing so does not compromise some moral duty.

That not everyone is gifted to heal or work miracles is strongly suggested in Paul's listing of these things as gifts given to "another" and "another." That some (perhaps many) may indeed be gifted to do these things is suggested in the same passage.

It would seem desirable that the preaching of the Gospel be accompanied by supernatural attestation, and the working of healings and miracles can often provide such attestation, as we see in the Book of Acts, as well as the history of the later ages of the church. However, miracles are not the only manner in which the word may be confirmed supernaturally. Jesus said that His Spirit would bear witness to the Word preached. We see the hearts of the audience "pricked" by the Spirit in the preaching of Peter at Pentecost (though this occasion was not without a miraculous display—i.e., speaking in tongues). Paul said to the Thessalonians that the gospel came to them, not in word only, but in but "also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance" (1 Thess.1:5). This was supernatural attestation, though we do not know whether these people saw miraculous displays from Paul as well, or not.

I once thought that the instructions in Luke 10, since they were not given only to the apostles, but to the larger group of seventy, could be regarded as general instructions to all Christians. Since I am a preacher myself, of sorts, I like to think that I can count on God to do some or all of the things Jesus mentioned in that passage, though I have now come to think (in light of Paul's later insights) that these seventy were not, at that time, in the same position as ourselves generally.

For one thing, since the Spirit had not yet been given at Pentecost, I do not believe that the 70 were given a permanent endowment at this time, but, rather, an ad hoc delegation of authority for the occasion of the specific outreach upon which they were being sent.

For another thing, we do not know that 70 was the total number of disciples at that time. There may have been many more (e.g., Lazarus, Mary and Martha) who were not selected for the mission, and were never given those instructions.

Therefore, while I stubbornly hold out hope for miraculous signs to accompany my preaching, nonetheless, I do not think that passages such as these provide a guarantee for every Christian, necessarily.

Return to “The Gospels”