Small Group Bible Study on Sermon on the Mount

TK

Re: Small Group Bible Study on Sermon on the Mount

Post by TK » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:20 pm

There are other threads somewhere in this forum that talk about forgiveness from a "heart" perspective and forgiveness from a "relationship" perspective. Paidion, if I remember correctly, was rather adamant that there is more to forgiveness than simply not holding a grudge against someone. For example, we talked about the difficult topic of a parent "forgiving" a family member who abused one of their children and what that forgiveness actually entails. I cant remember all the details of the discussion but I remember it was quite interesting. Maybe someone else can find it.

TK

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks, Homer - I recall that exchange, but it's nice to read again - there may be another one, TK, but Paidion's point was really about the atonement being to enable us to avoid sin (forsaking sin) vs. the mere forgiveness for those sins (something he contended was easy for God). Really, an empowerment distinction vs. the point we're engaged in as to our attitude as a Christian against our brother (unilateral) vs. the formal restoration of the relationship with that brother (takes two to tango).

I've added some vss. to my letter from one of Steve's debates on the subject of eternal security.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Just to note this study is still going (though we've dropped participation to my wife and I and another close couple we know and are doing it at home.)

Feel free to follow along... Still working through Beatitudes (typically updated 1st and 3rd week of the month).

http://www.duphorne.com/sotm (main download site for study questions/notes and corresponding segments of Steve's lecture)
http://www.duphorne.com/sotm/rss.php (podcast/rss feed)

This week -- Week 7 - Blessed are the Peacemakers

IsaacJ

Post by IsaacJ » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Hey, just wanted to say I hope you guys are being blessed in your study. I lead a young-adult group at my church and we've been going through the book of Matthew and have been in the Sermon on the mount for the last 6 months. I've never spent this much time on the sermon and it's been revolutionary for myself and the small core group that's committed to it. Really makes me respect and worship Jesus more and see how far my sanctification has to go. Steve's lectures on it have been a sure blessing. I've also been reading (depending on how much time I can find in the week):
-Martin-Lloyd Jones 'the sermon on the mount'
-John Stott 'Christian Counter-culture'
-Matthew Henry's Commentary
-Dietrich Bonhoeffer's 'the cost of discipleship' -includes his commentary on the sermon
-Dallas Willard's 'the divine conspiracy' -also includes a commentary on the sermon

Anyway, I was just stoked to see other people studying it. May we live it by the power of the Spirit! I think we lived 20% of it we'd see some revival. I would come join you if I lived closer.

Be blessed,
isaac

Return to “The Gospels”