Gospel Editing Precludes Divine Inspiration

steve

Re: Gospel Editing Precludes Divine Inspiration

Post by steve » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:38 pm

From the almost 50 years I have spent in the church, I have found that questioners are usually dealt with quickly. First they are labeled "liberal" (or apostate) for questioning orthodoxy/ancient creeds. Then they are accused of creating a caricature of God so they can ridicule God, the Bible, God's followers, Christianity, etc. This usually shuts them up or causes them to leave the church that no longer welcomes them.
It must be a relief, then, to have found this forum, where that is not our policy. We obviously welcome any honest dialogue from every side of the broad spectrum. One thing that I, personally, do not tolerate well is people who are not honest enough to address the challenges to their views that others present. You will note, for example, that every time someone challenges me on any point, I show up to clarify and defend my position. If they state multiple objections, I immediately post answers to each objection. This is because I am honest, and will not repeatedly make unsubstantiated, irresponsible assertions without defending them from scripture. I see this as the code of honor required in every honest discussion, and it is the standard that I tend to hold out for in others’ participation here, as well.

As for calling someone’s view a “caricature,” if you think I use the term incorrectly, I would point out that the last time I used it was with reference to your earlier post, in which you blatantly misrepresented a passage in Deuteronomy in order to heap scorn upon it. If you wish to take the passage for what it actually says, and then to scorn it, that is your prerogative. However, even after I pointed out to you what the teaching of the passage is, you have again, in your last post, resorted to presenting the same caricature (see below). If you don’t want people to call your view a caricature, my advice would be for you to stop misrepresenting the contents of the passage which you wish to critique. I understand well enough, of course, why you feel compelled to transmogrify the passage. When the passage is presented on its own terms, without caricature, few reasonable people would find it objectionable, and your objections look misguided.
Steve wrote:
Not the way you misrepresented it, no. Neither would Moses. However, this is another example of you (or somebody you have been reading) misrepresenting the actual content of the law.

Deuteronomy 21:11-14 is an addendum to 20:14, which talks about the sparing of women and children who survive when the enemy's men are slain in war. The passage you referenced goes into the treatment of the females of marriageable age among the prisoners. Under ancient conditions, in any society, such prisoners would become eligible for marriage (or rape) to their captors. The Torah does not forbid such marriage (though it does not permit rape).
I didn't write this and I've never read it before...strike two
Strike two? I don't remember a first one being called. In any case, it seems to be you that strike out in this discussion. Why are you denying what you wrote? You certainly did present your slant on Deuteronomy 21 (are you denying it?). Look at your first post of September 8th, to me (above). Your comments about Deuteronomy 21 are very prominent there.

In my paragraph (which you quoted) I was presenting a more responsible treatment of the passage—looking at the actual text without the gratuitous emotional verbiage. What do you mean that you never wrote what you did?
The way you spun Deuteronomy 21:11-14 was pretty impressive. According to you the pretty girls that were taken by the soldiers were widows of enemy soldiers, so taking them in to have sex with them wasn't a bad thing. So why exactly did they take the beautiful ones?
This is where your caricature emerges again. You speak of “taking them in to have sex with them” instead of the stated purpose, “she shall be your wife” (Deut.21:13). You spin this as if promiscuous sex or rape are somehow permitted here, when it is explicitly discussing marriage. Granted, a man who has a wife will probably "have sex with" her—but since you have five children, I am guessing that even you would not find fault with that.

“Why do they take the beautiful ones?” you ask. Are you that naive? When men choose their wives, it is very common for them to choose women whom they regard as beautiful, if possible. Haven’t you noticed? Did you marry a woman that you did not find attractive? I doubt it. Why, then, fault the Israelites for being like you and like all other men?

You apparently don’t realize that all the female prisoners of war, beautiful and otherwise, were taken into captivity. The captive women became part of Israelite society. As such, they became part of Israel’s female population, the pool from which men would naturally choose their mates. They should not be faulted if they chose women who were easy on the eyes.

When correct exegesis is dismissed without argument, simply as "impressive spin" the integrity of the dialogue is being compromised. Is this intentional with you?
It's also interesting that you don't apply this verse to what actually happened during the conquest, when God said kill everyone man, woman, child, and animal but keep the virgins.
You are apparently confusing unlike situations. Since you mention killing the animals, I assume that you are talking about the wars of annihilation, in which no virgins were spared. The wars of annihilation were exceptional—and applied only to the wars against the Canaanites and Amalekites.

Deuteronomy 20:13-18 clearly distinguishes between regular wars and the wars of annihilation. The wars described in Deuteronomy 20:13-14 are regular wars, specifically differentiated from the wars of annihilation. Deuteronomy 21:10-14 obviously gives more detail on these regular wars. This should be obvious by the fact that, in a war where everyone was killed, there would be no problem of captive women to administrate.

You find it interesting that I actually read the text and apply normal means of interpretation? It would not be half so interesting if you cared to read the Law with a mind to understand it, rather than to fault it (or even if you had read my previous post to you, which explained this). I find it interesting that you didn't.

Your reference to keeping alive the virgins, it seems to me, must refer to the unique case of the slaughter of the Midianites. This was not part of the conquest of which Moses and Joshua so frequently spoke. It was a reprisal against those who had brought a plague upon Israel through sexual seduction. The virgins were to be spared, since they were the only women who could be proven to be innocent of this crime (Num.31:14-18). They were told to spare the virgins "for yourselves." A pervert reading this might assume that this meant there would be an orgy that night. In the context of God's law, it would more likely be taken to mean they were taken into Israelite society, where they became servants and wives. What kind of mind sees perversion here?
And you are determined to keep sugar coating everything Moses said so that it's suitable for a Baptist Sunday school class.
Really? Can you give me an example of my doing something like this? Most Baptist Sunday School classes would find much in my teachings to make them uncomfortable. What I have done (something you don’t seem to know how to do, nor to recognize when someone else does it) was simply to exegete the text and to expound its obvious meaning in context. Such exposition would hardly be called “sugar-coating” unless it served to remove an objection that you were determined to maintain. If you can exegete the texts better than I did, be my guest. If not, then you might ask yourself, “Why do I not want to see this in an accurate way that removes my objections?” Makes one wonder, does it not?

I think it's highly troubling that Paidion, who has been an active and valuable member of this forum for 10 years, is told that he can't advocate his "one-dimensional God" doctrine anymore on this forum until he answers your objections. But when he answers your objections you call his answers "subjective platitudes." (I also think it's silly to imply a god of love and peace is one-dimentional and somehow lesser than a full-orbed God of love, peace, hate, and violence.)
If the platitudes Paidion has cited count as the best “answers” that his view can produce, then the argument can be formally declared as over. No need for further input. Yet, he continues to make absolutely irresponsible criticisms of the Bible—disagreeing with every Old Testament author and every New Testament author. If his only available answer is, “God loves His enemies and tells us to love ours,” then this is platitude indeed—unless he can demonstrate that this principle nullifies ¾ of what the Bible (including Jesus and the apostles) says about God. This is what he has been challenged to do. This is the next thing he is required to do in this discussion. Refusal to do so does not bespeak honesty. If his answer is, "Well, Jesus, Paul, Peter, and the rest of those guys just did not understand the nature of God as well as I do,” then that is truly an attitude worthy of being banned in a forum like this, where Christians are expected to see themselves below, not above, the authority of Christ and the scriptures.
Steve, don't forget that you, not so long ago, moved away from the traditional view of hell and have put a lot of energy into demonstrating the inadequacy of the traditional orthodox view. So be careful where you draw your lines.
Yes, I changed my view of hell by looking more closely at the biblical evidence–not by ignoring or denying it. I am not likely to change any view of mine by neutralizing the teaching of both testaments, simply because it crosses my sentiments. Some people may think that I changed my view of hell for sentimental reasons. If they think this, they can hardly have read my book.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:43 pm

Steve, I've been following your forum discussions with Paidion for years now. And although I tend to see this issue the way you do, I think perhaps you're being a little harsh with Paidion and psimmond. I understand your frustration in wanting to hear specific arguments challenged and not getting what you want, but I don't doubt the motives of these brothers, nor would I call them dishonest.

Although I agree with your position on Moses, I have to admit that it's not easy to reconcile "do not resist an evil person" with "kill everything that breathes." Sure, it can be done (as you've demonstrated) but sometimes a rational answer still sounds hollow on matters of great emotional pull. "Let the little children come to me" and "let them perish by the sword" are instructions difficult to imagine as coming from the same authoritative Source. Yes, context and a nuanced understanding of the complexity of God's nature can resolve the issue intellectually, but may fail to do so emotionally.

The imagery of Revelation aside, I cannot imagine Jesus lifting his sword against an infant and running it through. And yet, His Father once gave this order to the Israelites. I can intellectually make sense of this, but fully admit that it rips my heart to shreds. If God, through Ezekiel, says He takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked, then I have to assume that sometimes God has to command things that he hates.

Forgive the childish example, but I tend to think of God the way C.S. Lewis describes Aslan the Lion. Strong, fierce and powerful... but full of goodness. I can imagine Aslan tearing out the throat of an approaching enemy to protect his little flock, but I might be confused if I didn't even realize the flock was in danger. A casual onlooker would be revolted to see a lion eating a man, but the context will affect our perception. Especially if we're the one the lion was protecting. Yes, it's a bloody affair and hard to stomach, but I think this is a worthy analog.

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Steve, I have found this forum to be much more grace filled than many churches I've attended and I do thank you for that.

What I think is very interesting is that you claim you "actually read the text and apply normal means of interpretation" but I "blatantly misrepresented a passage in Deuteronomy in order to heap scorn upon it." Not only is this wrong, but it's condescending and far from charitable. Thankfully, this isn't how you normally express yourself on this forum.
Steve wrote: Strike two? I don't remember a first one being called.
I was trying to respond in a humorous way to your statement that the text you pasted into your post was either written by me or somebody I've been reading. I didn't write it and have no idea who wrote it since I hadn't read it until you posted it.

I think your interpretations of these verses come across as naive and sugarcoated. You think they are the product of sound exegesis, so we'll agree to disagree, ok?

I don't think you changed your view on hell for sentimental reasons. But if you change your view on this issue in the future (as many Christians have), you may regret the strong language you used while arguing your current position. ;)
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:26 pm

The imagery of Revelation aside
Perhaps setting an entire books of the Bible aside is one thing that might lead us to a wrong image of God.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:40 pm

dizerner wrote:
The imagery of Revelation aside
Perhaps setting an entire books of the Bible aside is one thing that might lead us to a wrong image of God.
I agree. This was in reference to the apocalyptic imagery in Revelation, which guys like Mark Driscoll have used to paint Jesus as some kind of violent "tough guy." Jesus described himself as one who is meek and lowly in heart. Hopefully that makes sense of my qualifier.

steve

Post by steve » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Not only is this wrong, but it's condescending and far from charitable. Thankfully, this isn't how you normally express yourself on this forum.
If I am more adamant about these issues than about most (and I clearly am!) it is because your doctrine presents another Jesus and another Christianity, other than that which the four Gospels, Paul, and other New Testament writers taught. It is a departure from apostolic Christianity, and therefore from Christ.

Some doctrines rest only on a few verses, but others are the theme of scripture from beginning to end. The former may be matters of benign disagreement; the latter cannot be denied without abandoning the entire revelation of God.

You earlier said that you believe Jesus could have been wrong about Moses. And from whence gained you the competence to see the truth more clearly than Jesus did, and to sit as His judge? Surely, if Jesus (and Paul) believed everything written by Moses to be from God (as they both declared that they did), and you insist that Moses did not always speak or write from God, then you are claiming yourself to be right and Jesus to be wrong. Why, then, would you accept anything He said, including "Love your enemies," if He was so totally wrong in His ethics as to endorse the whole Law and the Prophets, which you have determined to be flawed?

And why should anyone believe Jesus was the Messiah of whom Moses spoke. After all, every holy and inspired man since Moses believed that Moses was the faithful witness of God's message and giver of His Law. If Jesus had differed from every inspired man before and after Him on that matter, then what reason would there be to believe that He is even in the stream of God's self-revelation at all?

Is it because you think He is the Messiah? But what makes you think so? Everyone who made such claims for oneself before and after Jesus has been deluded. Is it more likely that He would be the one True Messiah, though He disagreed with every other messenger God ever sent?
I was trying to respond in a humorous way to your statement that the text you pasted into your post was either written by me or somebody I've been reading. I didn't write it and have no idea who wrote it since I hadn't read it until you posted it.
I did not paste in any text. Those were my own comments. Apparently, you mistook the word "this" in the line "this is another example of you (or somebody you have been reading) misrepresenting the actual content of the Law" as referring to my comments that followed. I was describing, rather, your own comments cited immediately previous.

Since we must agree to disagree about the best exegesis of the passages in Deuteronomy, could you provide your alternative exegesis so that we might at least know what we disagree about? I found no exegesis in your statements—just emotional objections. I will watch with eagerness for your better exegesis than mine.

----------------------------------------------------

Hi Jason,
Although I agree with your position on Moses, I have to admit that it's not easy to reconcile "do not resist an evil person" with "kill everything that breathes." Sure, it can be done (as you've demonstrated) but sometimes a rational answer still sounds hollow on matters of great emotional pull.
As we all know, emotions can lead to spiritual harm, when not reined-in by truth. When Jesus pre-announced His impending crucifixion Peter had exactly this kind of emotional reaction: despite the fact that Jesus said it, Peter found it revolting. One mistake that Peter made was to express this emotional reaction in words, which earned him Christ's rebuke, "Get behind me, Satan."

It is evident that, when Jesus said "Do not resist the evil man," He was not addressing law enforcement officers, nor reforming the criminal justice system, but was merely instructing His disciples concerning their reaction to those who wished to offer them insult or imposition.

It is never hinted, in scripture, whether Jesus favored any changes in the criminal justice code of Israel, since He never addressed such issues, and, in fact, deflected them when He was asked to pronounce upon them (Luke 12:13-14). Only sentimental speculation could be presented as an argument, for example, that Jesus thought murderers should not be executed. It seems clear that He wished to establish His own spiritual kingdom, and not to denounce or commend the policies of the political rulers—whether Jewish or Roman.

This was not the case with Yahweh in the time of Moses and Joshua, when He was setting up a political nation with a court system and criminal justice code. It would be strange for God (or Jesus) to tell those charged with the public safety that they should not "resist the evil man." What good would such an officer or magistrate be then? He could certainly not be "God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil" (Rom.13:4).

If anything the Bible says is to be trusted, then God was giving Israel a piece of land to be their own. The land was already inhabited by the most corrupt societies on the planet, who would not simply walk away and give up their territory to Israel. This would mean armed resistance to Israel's incursions. It is hard to know what policies of war would have better served the demands of Israel's occupation than those given by God through Moses. One thing we cannot suggest, except from our wildest imaginations, is that Jesus thought Moses' policies came from anyone other than His Father.
"Let the little children come to me" and "let them perish by the sword" are instructions difficult to imagine as coming from the same authoritative Source.

Of course this is difficult. The question is, what did God see as the best way to let the Canaanite little children "come unto me"? Throughout history, God has brought little children to Himself through their untimely demise—sometimes through processes more painful than dispatch by sword. Our hearts have the luxury of remaining tender—and even being offended—in the face of such realities, only because we are among the few in history who have lived with unbroken peace in our land for our entire lifetimes. We are the ones out of touch with the world as it has been known by more than nine-tenths of those who have lived in history. Death—especially painful death—is a horrendous reality, but not the worst of all realities.

Though no one prefers the sorrow of death or of loss of loved ones, Solomon observed that there is more benefit to attending a funeral than a feast:

Better to go to the house of mourning
Than to go to the house of feasting,
For that is the end of all men;
And the living will take it to heart.
Sorrow is better than laughter,
For by a sad countenance the heart is made better.
The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning,
But the heart of fools is in the house of mirth.
(Eccl.7:2-4)

Jesus wept at the sight of Lazarus' tomb, no doubt because death is such a heart-rending reality. Yet, when He had previously been asked to heal the merely sick Lazarus, He chose, rather, to let him die "for the glory of God" (John 11:4) and for the benefit of His disciples (v.15). If this requires readjustment of our image of Christ's character, then we'd better get started readjusting. It is what Christ Himself declared.

The fact that everyone will lose every one of his/her loved ones through death is one of the terrible realities of living in a world scarred by sin. If this loss occurs in infancy, in youth, or in old age, makes little difference. The pain will be the same. If my child had died at infancy, it would have been almost unbearable for me. The same is true if he/she died at age 25. In fact, the same will be true if I live to see one of them die at age 75! It is time for us to wake up to unpleasant realities, which people throughout history, including Jesus, simply knew to be what the real world was like.

Jesus and Christians, however, also know that there is another world that isn't like this one. Leaving this one to go there is not a disaster, except for those leaving unprepared to meet God (a category that does not, in my judgment, include children). For those prepared to meet God, Paul assures us, "to die is gain" (Phil.1:21). Isaiah suggested that the righteous man who dies young has enviably escaped the evils of this present world (Isa.57:1). Jesus said that the one seeking to save his life in this world loses out, while the one who dies on good terms with God wins (Matt.16:25).

The biblical world view (which is apparently as foreign to modern Christians as it is to pagans) was so strong in the first Christians as to transform their experience of loss, so that they did not mourn as others who had no hope (1 Thess.4:13). Yet we, the first generation to live lives insulated from most disasters, and the ones most out of touch with these realities, are also the first to criticize the justice and mercy of God because He addresses people who live in the real and ugly world we have never known.

Let those who malign the Laws of God for ordering the dispatch of Canaanite infants tell us what alternative action would have been more suitable to those children's own well-being and God's purposes. I can think of a few alternatives:

Option 1) Just leave the Canaanites alone to sacrifice their babies to Molech, or to allow them to grow up into Molech-worshippers themselves, and to die natural deaths before facing the judgment of God. Of course, this option would require Israel to either return to Egypt, or wander aimlessly and homelessly in the wilderness perpetually. This would be God's defaulting on the promises to Abraham and the Israelites;

Option 2) Have Israel invade Canaan without weapons, command the Canaanites to leave, and hope for the best;

Option 3) If war should surprisingly erupt, due to the invasion, Israel could just kill all the corrupt adults, but leave the babies alive to be nurtured by wolves like Romulus and Remus;

Option 4) Have Israel adopt all the Canaanite infants, or start massive Canaanite orphanages. This would quite probably tax Israel's resources to the point of either failing adequately to care for their own, or else their choosing not to have Israelite children. It also would probably have, within a few years, resulted in a generation of embittered and hostile Canaanite youth in their midst, who may well have outnumbered the Israelites themselves. God only knows, but these things can easily be imagined.

Option 5) Suffer the little children to come unto Jesus—the plan that God actually authorized through Moses.

If someone wishes to doubt that the wisdom of God stood behind these commands, then it must at least be argued that Moses, the man of God's choice and the recipient of continual communications from God, was a very poor choice, since he gave orders in God's name which (according to the critics) amount to war crimes. Even I could do better than that! Why pick such a miscreant as Moses to mediate His covenant?

We now live in such a convoluted age, that those of us who still argue (as everyone did a generation ago) that normative marriage is between a man and a woman are called "haters." I fear that those who, today, stand by what scripture has always been known to teach concerning the Torah will also be called haters, when in fact it is the critics who have denounced biblical doctrine and the authority of Christ. So be it. We live in twisted times.

"They have forsaken the word of the Lord; what wisdom is in them?"

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:55 pm

Steve wrote: I did not paste in that text that you are saying you didn't write. Those were my comments. Apparently, you mistook the word "this" in the line "this is another example of you (or somebody you have been reading) misrepresenting the actual content of the Law" to refer to my comments that followed. I was describing, rather, your own comments cited immediately previous.

Got it. No wonder we were both confused. :lol:
Steve wrote: Since we must agree to disagree about the best exegesis of the passages in Deuteronomy, could you provide your alternative exegesis so that we might at least know what we disagree about? I found no exegesis in your statements—just emotional objections. I await your better exegesis than mine.
If you look back a few posts at my response to Homer, you'll see why I don't find your interpretation of Deut 21:11-14 as convincing as Homer found it. The text clearly says the girl will mourn both parents, which wouldn't make sense if the mother was taken captive, but it would make sense if this was describing what we see with the attack on the Midianites in Numbers. I realize this is not a lot but I think it's enough to tip the scale slightly in favor of my interpretation.

Even though this wasn't directly addressed to me, I suspect you view me as one who maligns the Law of God, so I'd like to offer a few options off the top of my head (in red) that you might not have thought of:
Let those who malign the Laws of God for ordering the dispatch of Canaanite infants tell us what alternative action would have been more suitable to their own well-being and God's purposes. I can think of a few alternatives:

Option 1) Just leave the Canaanites alone to sacrifice their babies to Molech, or to allow them to grow up into Molech-worshippers themselves, and to die natural deaths before facing the judgment of God. Of course, this option would require Israel to either return to Egypt, or wander aimlessly and homelessly in the wilderness perpetually. This would be God's defaulting on the promises to Abraham and the Israelites;

Option 2) Have Israel invade Canaan without weapons, command the Canaanites to leave, and hope for the best;

Option 3) If war should surprisingly erupt, due to the invasion, Israel could just kill all the corrupt adults, but leave the babies alive to be nurtured by wolves like Romulus and Remus;

Option 4) Have Israel adopt all the Canaanite infants, or start massive Canaanite orphanages. This would quite probably tax Israel's resources to the point of either failing adequately to care for their own, or else their choosing not to have Israelite children. It also would probably have, within a few years, resulted in a generation of embittered and hostile Canaanite youth in their midst, who may well have outnumbered the Israelites themselves. God only knows, but these things can easily be imagined.

Option 5) Suffer the little children to come unto Jesus—the plan that God actually authorized through Moses.

Option 6) Made Canaan's wife barren so that there would have been no Canaanites.

Option 7) Have Israel adopt all the Canaanite infants and then provide the necessary resources for them to care for these infants.

Option 8) Send the death angel through the land to take them out painlessly so they wouldn't need to be run through with swords.
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

steve

Post by steve » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:15 pm

psimmond,

I should clarify that, in discussing Deuteronomy 21:11-14, I was not suggesting that every woman among the captives would be a widow. Nor would they all be virgins, as you seem to imply. Deuteronomy 20:13-14 makes this clear. There would be, among the female prisoners of war, both virgins and widows. Of course, both groups would mourn the loss of their families—which, for the virgin girls would include their parents, and for the widows, their husbands. By pointing out, as you have, that there would be virgins among the captive women, you have not addressed any point that I was denying, nor connecting with our area of disagreement.

I was not making an issue of the "formerly-married" or "never-previously-married" status of the women, but of the fact, to which you objected, that all the women, of both types, would be taken into Israelite society and would be available, just like other women, for marriage. I don't know why you would think that this would be more or less immoral in the case of virgins than in the case of widows, but both would be included.

You were (and are still) speaking of the situation as if it involved rape and violation of women (you seem particularly concerned about the virgin women, for some reason, more than others). My point was that the women were not to be violated and discarded, as you misrepresent it. They could become wives, and (like any other wives) they might subsequently end up divorced. The specific feature of this law that made it unique was that these women, though they would otherwise have been slaves, would instead be free women, because they had been previously married to Israelite men.

-------

Even by extending the list to eight options, you have not provided any obviously superior alternative to what God command to be done to Canaanite children. Some of your suggestions, I suspect, are being offered with tongue-in-cheek.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:09 pm

psimmond wrote:
dizerner wrote: Wouldn't you say that life itself paints a very nasty picture of God? The arbitrary pain of countless victims to the cruel acts of nature or man? This is where I think the "God is love only" people miss the bus. If God were love only we wouldn't have the world we live in.
No, I would not. I have 5 children. They have all gotten hurt in different ways (physically, emotionally, etc.) because I gave them freedom and let them mingle with others. Had I locked them in the house their whole life with no contact to the outside world and told them from the time they were babies that we were the only humans created, I could have protected them from many of the hurts they experienced. Knowing they would be hurt, I still gave them freedom because I love them and believe freedom is in their best interest, in spite of the dangers.

In ancient times, people blamed everything on God, which is why so much blood was shed to appease him and keep him from lashing out. Most modern people have moved beyond this view (although a few Calvinists still try to link every natural disaster to God's judgment.)
What is your counter argument? Because life is good for you and your children, it's not extremely nasty for many other people throughout time? I see no counter argument for you to reject the proposal that overall, human life paints a very nasty picture of God. What does your children getting hurt have to do with a girl raised from birth to be imprisoned as a sex slave and forced to be addicted to cocaine? You gave your children freedom because you love them and think it's best "in spite of many dangers"? But you gave not even one logical argument that it's far better for them to risk encountering these many dangers? Nor do you sufficiently demonstrate that the dangers your children face are equivalent to the dangers that all humans have faced since their inception. Sorry if I sound too harsh I just have a very strictly logical mind, and I can't ignore these things.

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:09 pm

This is getting a little comical and a bit unbelievable.

Dizerner, why are requiring psimmond to give such a detailed and full account to your one statement? I didn't see anything like what your asking for when you simply rhetorically posed a question which paralleled life as you might see it and his description of something else.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Return to “The Gospels”