Zebedee Brothers Question

Quilter2

Zebedee Brothers Question

Post by Quilter2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:19 pm

I read a book some time ago, and Steve mentioned on the radio program archive from last summer that James & John were Jesus' cousins through Mary's sister. I have been reading my Bible for 40 yrs but never picked this up. Can you point me to the verses? This book also said that most of the disciples were Jesus' relatives. Is that also true?
Thanks
Paula

steve

Re: Zebedee Brothers Question

Post by steve » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:50 pm

The relationship of Jesus to Zebedee's sons is deduced from three parallel passages that list the women who were present at the crucifixion of Christ.

Mark 15:40 identifies them as:

1) Mary Magdalen,
2) Mary mother of James the Less and Joses, and
3) Salome

Matthew 27:56 lists them as:

1) Mary Magdalene,
2) Mary the mother of James and Joses, and
3) the mother of Zebedee's sons.

By comparing the identification of the third woman in these two passages, we can conclude that Salome was the name of the mother of Zebedee's sons (the apostles, James and John).

Then we add what John 19:25 tells us about this group. He mentions four women, adding to the other three, a fourth, Mary the mother of Jesus. But his list looks like this:

1) Mary Mother of Jesus,
2) His mother's sister [unnamed],
3) Mary the wife of Clopas,
4) Mary Magdalen.

We see Mary Magdalen is common to all lists, and the mother of Jesus is mentioned only in John. However the two other women can be identified as follows:

Mary, mother of James the Less and Joses [who is also the wife of Clopas], and
Salome, the mother of Zebedee's sons [who is also Jesus' mother's sister—or Jesus' aunt]

Thus, Salome is Jesus' aunt and her children (James and John) would be His first cousins.

TK

Re: Zebedee Brothers Question

Post by TK » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:23 am

Steve, your post reminds me a lot of geometry and deducing proofs. I guess that is what I liked geometry the best out of the various math courses. I found that aspect interesting.

TK

Return to “The Gospels”