Zechariah 12 & the Esther Connection

Blev

Zechariah 12 & the Esther Connection

Post by Blev » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:04 pm

I was listening to this sermon by Gary DeMar and I thought his interpretation of Zehariah 12: 1-9 sounded like another possible interpretation of the versus. Seems he is still working on versus 10-14. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this if anyone gets the time to listen to it.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.a ... 2205174644

Suzana

Re: Zechariah 12 & the Esther Connection

Post by Suzana » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:39 pm

I’ve had a listen, and it seemed to me like it could be a valid interpretation (that is, based on just one listen without looking into it more deeply; I'm not an expert, and I’ve never done an in-depth study of Zechariah).
Of course I am aware of how those passages are used by dispensationalists; I haven’t yet heard Steve’s verse by verse teaching on this.
Suzana

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:25 pm

What a strange co-incidence.

From time to time I listen to the archived TNP radio shows from 2006, and just decided to listen to the next one I was up to, which is 2006/10/25.

Around the 19th minute, Tyson from Texas called in with this very question; apparently there’s a book by Gary DeMar - ‘End Times Fiction’ where he discusses this, and Steve apparently had also read the book.
Blev, if you’re interested, the archives are found at: http://tnp.theeggbeater.net/

I was also interested to hear the verse by verse teaching on Zechariah by Steve is VERY old and not necessarily reflecting his current understanding.

Steve, if you see this, I really hope your plans to re-teach through the whole bible will eventuate some time!
Suzana

Blev

Post by Blev » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:38 pm

Thank you for you reply. I have listened to almost all of Steve's verse by verse teachings and he always gives the different veiw points on a subject. This is one I didn't hear him talk about on the subject. I know the recorded tapes I listened to were old, that is why I posted the question. I will listen to the show you posted. I have read Gary DeMar's book and have heard lots of his debates and stuff. He has a very good interpretation of end times and the prophecies. I don't hold to his view of the postmillennial, I guess I am too negative and just don't see the things of the postmillennial view point happening in anyway ever before the return of Christ. Thanks for the reply.

Blev

Post by Blev » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:42 pm

This is a good Austrailian teacher I like to listen to, wondering if you ever heard of him...Andrew Corbett.

http://www.andrewcorbett.net/home.html

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:56 am

I haven't heard of him but I've looked at the site. Seems he's an AOG minister in Tasmania (an Australian state), and is preterist and calvinist, which as far as I know are both out of the ordinary for AOG beliefs.
I've listened to his video / discussion of Todd Bentley & the Lakeland Revival and thought it was done well.
Last edited by Suzana on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suzana

Blev

Post by Blev » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:17 pm

I hate to sound stupid, but what is AOG? I don't believe in Calvanism for the most part. My common sence tells me that is wrong, though I like some of the points of Calvanism. Can you tell me what part of the Andrew Corbett site is Calvanism? Thanks.

I can not find salvation information on most of the sites I like to listen to, besides here. I am still studying, eternal salvation vs. you can loose your salvation. Most teachers I listen to online don't have studies on the salvation, they only have studies on the escatology debate, which I am very interested in. The only teacher I have found that teaches eternal salvation and a partial preterist view like I belive, is Hank Hanegraff, but he is hard to understand and pin down at times.

Most of the good sites I find about my beliefs of a partial preterst escatology have no teachings on a salvation message, Gary Demar and Ken Gentry to name a couple. I am still debating amongst myself of eternal salvation or you can loose it, earn it, loose it, and earn it again. I have heard good info both ways.

Thanks, any info would be helpful.

Jess

Post by Jess » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi Blev,

Aog=Assemblies of God (I think). Usually dispensationalist and Non-Calvinist.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:11 am

That is correct. In America, we more often abbreviate it simply as "AG," but in Australia, they use the fuller abbreviation, "AOG."

I taught Zechariah again this week in Kona for the School of Biblical Studies. Though I have taught through Zechariah almost twenty times, I had not done so in the past ten years, so I restudied and created all new notes, which I would love to teach again on record. The lectures in Kona were not recorded, and I had to use their version (NRSV), which I detest. I would like to teach this book again soon, from an acceptable translation. I will post, below, the new notes I created from scratch last weekend (These are note that I would teach from. They may not be formatted in such a way as to make sense to others reading them):

The Book of Zechariah

The man
Zechariah (“Yahweh Remembers”) More than 30 biblical men bear this name.
Like Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Zechariah the son of Jehoiada, John—priest by birth; prophet by calling
In Ezra (Ezra 5:1; 6:14) and Nehemiah (12:16), Zechariah is called “son of Iddo”
Iddo was a prominent priest, who returned from exile with Zerubbabel (Neh.12:1, 4)
Zechariah was actually son of Berechiah, and the grandson of Iddo
Son of Berechiah? Matt.23:35/ Luke 11:51 (2 Chron. 24:20-21)

Historical Setting
Contemporary with Haggai (Ezra 5:1; 6:14)
Exiles return in 538 BC (Ezra 1)
Foundation laid in 536 BC (Ezra 3)
People became discouraged by opposition (Ezra 4)
Haggai began to prophesy August 29, 520 BC (Hag.1:1) and preach for four months
Zechariah began two months later, in November (Zech.1:1), preaching for at least two years
The people obeyed the prophets and finished construction in March of 515 BC (Ezra 6:15)

The Book
Heavily alluded to in NT—by some estimates, about 54 Zech. passages echoed in 67 NT places
Eight visions in chs.1-6 possibly all occurred in one night
Acted parable in ch.6 crowning of the high priest
Four oracles in chs.7-8 in response to question on fasting
Major division between chs.1-8 and chs.9-14
In first section, prophecies are dated; not in second section
In first section, prophecies are attributed to Zechariah; not in second section
In first section, prophecies are concerned with building temple; not in second section
Style and vocabulary are consistent throughout
Apocalyptic style
Bizarre images are more memorable

Commentary:

Chapter One

1:1-6 Eighth month (Oct./Nov.) second year (520 BC)
“Lord of Hosts” 46 times in Zech. (12x in Haggai; 53x in Isa.; 71x in Jer. Rarely elsewhere)

1:7-17 First Vision: Scouts doing reconnaissance among the nations (cf., 4:10)
Eleventh month, twenty-fourth day— February 15th, 519 BC
A night vision—a dream? (v.8; cf. 4:1)
Horsemen (v.8)—red, sorrel (chestnut/reddish brown) and white (their number is not given)
Myrtle (v.8)—evergreen tree, once common around Jerusalem, used for booths (Neh.8:15)
In the glen (v.8)—the Kidron Valley (outside Jerusalem, the temple not being completed)?
Earth at rest (v.11), but not Judah and not God (v.15)
Seventy years (v.12) —the temple lay in ruins from 586 to 515 BC
God’s jealousy (v.14)
Nations used by God, but not in a manner pleasing to God (v.15; cf., Isa.10:5-7)
God’s choosing of Jerusalem (v.17; “again” 4 times in Hebrew—cf., 2:12; 3:2)

1:18-21 Second Vision: Four horns and four blacksmiths (or craftsmen)
Four “horns”: Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persia [Greece, Rome]? or Generic?
Reminiscent of the horns of the altar to which the victim was tied
“Smiths”: Angelic powers? (2 Sam.5:24/ 2 Kg.6:16-17; 7:5-6; 19:35)
Each succeeding empire a “smith” to the previous? (cf., 2:9/Dan.5:18-19/ Isa.45:1)

Chapter Two

2:1-13 Third Vision: Measuring line (cf., 1:16)—destiny of the New Jerusalem
Zechariah a “young man”? (v.4)
Spiritual walls Isaiah 60:18/ 26:1
Many inhabitants Isa.49:19-23 / 54:1-3
God the glory in Jerusalem (v.5; cf., Rev.21:1-3, 23)
Calling the remaining exiles to come back to Jerusalem (vv.6-7)
“After glory” (v.8) Heb. uncertain “after his glory sent me” or “he sent me after…”
“the apple of his eye” (v.8) = the pupil, a poking of God’s [or one’s own?] eye
When enemies fall—“Then you will know that the Lord of hosts has sent me” (v.9)
When nations come-“Then you will know that the Lord of hosts has sent me” (v.10)
“In that day” (v.10; altogether twenty times in Zechariah) the Messianic Age
Gentile nations included in “Judah” and “Jerusalem” (vv.11-12)
“The Holy Land” (v.12) used only here in the Old Testament

Chapter Three

3:1-10 Fourth Vision: The vindication and re-clothing of the high priest
“Joshua the high priest” (v.1) represents the nation of Israel/Judah (Ex.28:29)
“The Satan” means “the adversary” (Ezra 4:1, 6)
“The Lord rebuke you, Satan” (v.2; cf., Jude 9)
“brand plucked from the fire” (v.2) remnant whose faith endured the captivity
“filthy garments” (v.3) literally “befouled with excrement” (cf., Isa.64:6)
Replacement of filthy apparel for clean (vv.4-5)
Commission to Joshua personally (vv.6-10)
He can be priest, if he is obedient (vv.6-7; cf., 1 Sam.2:30)
He is a sign (v.8; NASB “symbol”; NRSV “omen of things to come”)
“The BRANCH” (v.8; cf., 6:12; Isa.4:2; 11:1; 53:2/ Jer.23:5-6; 33:15/ Matt.2:23)
A single seven-eyed stone (v.9; cf. 4:10; Rev.5:6)
Replacing two engraved shoulder stones? Or the twelve stones on breastplate?
Replacing Urim and Thummim?
The temple cornerstone? The Capstone (4:7)?
Guilt removed in a single day (v.9)
Under individual vine and fig tree (v.10; cf., 1 Kings 4:25/ Micah 4:4)

Chapter Four

4:1-14 Fifth Vision: Lamps and olive trees
Zechariah awakened (v.1)
One lampstand with one bowl, seven lamps, two olive trees (vv.2-3) two pipes (v.12)
General interpretation: God’s Spirit will give Zerubbabel success (vv.6-10; cf., Hag.2:5)
“O great mountain…a plain!” (v.7) the harassment of detractors (Ez.5:3-17)
For similar imagery, cf., Isa.40:4; 49:11/ Matt.17:20/ 1 Cor.13:2
“Eyes of the Lord…through the whole earth” (v.10; cf., 2 Chron.16:9)
Identification of two trees/branches: two “anointed ones” (vv.11-14; cf., Rev.11:4)
Lit. “sons of fresh oil” Joshua and Zerubbabel? Haggai and Zechariah?

Chapter Five

5:1-4 Sixth Vision: Flying Scroll—The judgment on wickedness
Flying scroll (v.1)— ancient equivalent of “sky-writing”
Giant scroll (v.2) —The size of a billboard (15 x 30 feet)
Thieves and perjurers (v.3-4) violators of 1st and 2nd tablets of the ten commandments
Houses consumed “timber and stones” (v.4; cf., Leviticus 14:43-45)

5:5-11 Seventh Vision: Woman in ephah—Removal of wickedness
Ephah (v.6) —a unit of dry measure, about half a bushel or 5 gallons (22 liters)
(ten “omers” [about 2 qt. or 2 liters] Ex.16:36)
Lead disk (“leaden cover”—v.7)—lit. a lead talent (75 lb.)
Woman (v.7, 8) —“Wichedness” Heb. Rish’ah sounds like Asherah.
(Foreign wives [Ezra 9]? Jezebel?)
Two women (v.9) —not identified. Two good women counter balance wicked woman?
“Stork” wings (v.9)—unclean, northbound migratory bird
Shinar (v.10)—location of Babel/Babylon (Gen.10:10; 11:2/ Dan.1:2)

Chapter Six

6:1-8 Eighth Vision: Horses and chariots
Four chariots (v.1) = “four spirits” or (more likely) “four winds” (v.5; cf., Rev.7:1)
1st Red horses (v.2) presumably patrolled east and west (v.7)
2nd Black horses (v.2) lead the charge to the north country (v.6)
3rd White horses (v.3) follow to the north (v.6) and give God’s Spirit rest (v.8; cf., 1:15)
4th Dappled horses (v.4) “gray, with spots of another color”—these go to the south (v.6)
Number and colors similar to Revelation 6:1-8
“He called (cried out) to me” (v.8) in concluding, God speaks directly, not by the angel

6:9-15 Acted parable: The crowning of the high priest
“Captives” (v.10) returning from exile with a gift of gold and silver
Heldai [Helem, v.14]; Tobijah, Jedaiah, Josiah [Hen, v.14] son of Zephaniah
Make crown, place on the high priest (v.11)
Oracle concerning the BRANCH (vv.12-13; cf., 3:8)
He shall “branch out” (v.12) Literally, “sprout up”
“he will be a priest on his throne”(v.13) or “there will be a priest on [or “by”] his throne”
Two offices combine in Christ (v.13; cf., Jer.33:17-18/John 1:49/ Heb.3:1; 7:11-14)
“Build the temple of the Lord”—not Zerubbabel’s (vv.12-13; cf., 2 Sam.7:12-13)
Gentile laborers (v.15; cf., Matt.16:18/ Eph.2:20-21/1 Cor.3:9-17/ 1 Pet.2:5)

Chapters Seven and Eight: A question about fasting

December 7th, 518 BC Messengers from Bethel
Four fasts (8:19):
Fourth month (June/July)—Babylon breached wall of Jerusalem (Jer.52:6-7)
Fifth month (July/August)—Temple burned (Jer.52:12)
Seventh month (Sept./October)—Gedaliah was murdered (2 Kings 25:25), or else Yom Kippur
Tenth month (Dec./January)—Seige began (Jer.52:4)

Four messages, each introduced with: “The word of the Lord of hosts came to [me]”
In chapter 8 there are nine recurrences of “Thus says the Lord” (vv.3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 14, 19, 20, 23)

7:4-7 Seventy years (v.5): it had been 68 since 586 BC. What motivated your fasts? Did I command it? Were you concerned about my interests, or only feeling sorry for yourselves?
The message of God is the same as before (e.g., Isa.1:11-20; 58:3-7).

7:8-14 God told their ancestors through the former prophets (vv.8-10; cf., Micah 6:8; Isaiah 58).
They deserved what they got by rejecting the prophets’ words (vv.11-12)
“I am the one who brought these disasters on them” (vv.13-14)

8:1-17 Possibly double fulfillment? God will return to Zion to dwell there (v.3; cf., 1:3, 16).
“Faithful city” (v.3; cf., Isa.1:21, 26)
Restoration of peaceful times (vv.4-6; cf., Jer.33:11).
I will gather my people from the East and the West (vv.7-8; cf. Isa.43:5-6/ Matt.8:11-12)
Interestingly, returning exiles came from the “north” (cf., 2:6)
They will be my people, I will be their God (v.8; cf., 2:11/ Jer.31:33/ Hos.2:23)
“Let your hands be strong!” brackets vv.9-13.
I determined (purposed) to judge; I now determine (purpose) to restore (vv.15-16)
Since I am changing my behavior, I expect you also to change your behavior (vv.16-17).

8:18-23 Time of fulfillment will be of feasting, not of fasting (vv.18-19; cf., Isa. 65:18-19/ Matt.11:16ff; 9:14f).
Many Gentiles will participate (8:20-23).

Chapters Nine through Eleven: “The burden of the word of the Lord against…Hadrach”

Outline of section:

9:1-8 I. Deliverance from Alexander’s conquests (332-331 BC)
A. “Hadrach” an area of Northern Syria encompassing Damascas & Hamath (9:1-2)
B. Overthrow of Tyre and Sidon, in 332 BC (9:2-4; cf., Ezek.26:4, 12)
C. Four of the five Philistine cities—not including Gath (9:5-7)
D. Temple in Jerusalem spared (9:8; “eye” in vv.1, 8 tie the oracle together)

Josephus’ account of Alexander’s meeting with the High Priest is fascinating (Antiquities 11.8.4-5):
Now Alexander, when he had taken Gaza, made haste to go up to Jerusalem; and Jaddua the high-priest, when he heard that, was in agony, and under terror, as not knowing how he should meet the Macedonians, since the king was displeased at his foregoing disobedience. He therefore ordained that the people should make supplications, and should join with him in offering sacrifices to God, whom he besought to protect that nation, and to deliver them from the perils that were coming upon them; whereupon God warned him in a dream, which came upon him after he had offered sacrifice, that he should take courage, adorn the city, and open the gates; that the rest appear in white garments, but that he and the priests should meet the king in habits proper to their order, without the dread of any ill consequences, which the providence of God would prevent. Upon which, when he rose from his sleep, he greatly rejoiced; and declared to all the warning he had received from God. According to the dream he acted entirely, and so waited for the coming of the king.

And when he understood that he was not far from the city, he went out in procession, with the priests and the multitude of the citizens. The procession was venerable, and the manner of it different from that of other nations. It reached to a place called Sapha; which name, translated in Greek, signifies a prospect, for you have thence a prospect both of Jerusalem and of the temple; and when the Phoenicians and the Chaldeans that followed him, thought they should have liberty to plunder the city, and torment the high-priest to death, which the king’s displeasure fairly promised them, the very reverse of it happened; for Alexander, when he saw the multitude at a distance, in white garments, while the priests stood clothed with fine linen, and the high-priest in purple and scarlet clothing, with his mitre on his head having the golden plate on which the name of God was engraved, he approached by himself, and adored that name, and first saluted the high-priest. The Jews also did all together, with one voice, salute Alexander, and encompass him about: whereupon the kings of Syria and the rest were surprised at what Alexander had done, and supposed him to be disordered in his mind. However, Parmenio [Alexander’s second-in-command] alone went up to him, and asked him how it came to pass, that when all others adored him, he should adore the high-priest of the Jews? To whom he replied, “I did not adore him, but that God who has honored him with that high-priesthood; for I saw this very person in a dream, in this very habit, when I was at Dios, in Macedonia, who, when I was considering with myself how I might obtain the dominion of Asia, exhorted me to make no delay, but boldly to pass over the sea thither, for that he would conduct my army, and would give me dominion over the Persians; whence it is, that having seen no other in that habit, and now seeing this person in it, and remembering my vision and the exhortation which I had in my dream, I believe that I bring this army under divine conduct, and shall therewith conquer Darius, and destroy the power of the Persians, and that all things will succeed according to what is in my own mind.” And when he had said this to Parmenio, and had given the high-priest his right hand, the priests ran along by him, and he came into the city; and when he went up into the temple, he offered sacrifice to God, according to the high-priest’s direction, and magnificently treated both the high-priest and the priests. And when the book of Daniel was showed him, wherein Daniel declared that one of the Greeks should destroy the empire of the Persians, he supposed that himself was the person intended; and as he was then glad, he dismissed the multitude for the present, but the next day he called them to him, and bade them ask what favors they pleased of him: whereupon the high-priest desired that they might enjoy the laws of their forefathers, and might pay no tribute on the seventh year. He granted all they desired: and when they entreated him that he would permit the Jews in Babylon and Media to enjoy their own laws also, he willingly promised to do hereafter what they desired: and when he said to the multitude, that if any of them would enlist themselves in his army on this condition, that they should continue under the laws of their forefathers, and live according to them, he was willing to take them with him, many were ready to accompany him in his wars.

9:9-12 II. Parenthesis: The salvation brought by the Messiah (“prophetic compression”?)
A. Triumphal entry (9:9; cf. Matt.21:4-5/ John 12:14-16)
B. Reign of peace (9:10; cf., Isa.2:4; 9:2-7/ Mic.5:10-11/ Ps.72:8)
C. Calling captives and prisoners to freedom (9:11-12; cf. Isa.61:1ff)

9:13-15 III. Maccabean victories
A. Sons of Zion defeat sons of Greece (9:13-15); but not without losses (Dan.11:31-35)
B. God will value and save them, like a shepherd (9:16-17; cf. 10:2; 11:4, 15; 13:7)

10:1-12 IV. Either Maccabean victories continued, or Messianic salvation continued
A. God would provide pasture, but false leaders lead Israel astray (10:1-2)
B. Shepherds (Syrian? Jewish? Demonic?) conquered by Judah (10:3; cf., Rev.19:11)
C. Messiah is from Judah (10:4; cf., Gen.49:10)—as were early Christian leaders
D. The church treads enemies underfoot (10:5; cf., Mal.4:3/ Luke 10:19f / Rom.16:20)
E. Strengthened and happy “as with wine” (10:6-7, 12; cf., Acts 2:13/ Eph.5:18)
F. No room for so many! (10:8-10; cf., Isa.49:19-23 / 54:1-3)
G. Second Exodus (10:11; cf., Isa.11:15-16; 43:2-6, 16-18/ Luke 9:30-31/ 1 Cor.10:1-6)

11:1-3 V. Close of previous prophecy, or destruction of the temple (AD70)?
Described as a forest of Lebanese cedars, because of its building materials?

11:4-17 VI. Acted parable giving reason for destruction of Jerusalem
A. The flock doomed to be slaughtered (11:4-6)
B. Two staffs: Favor and Unity (11:7)
C. Removal of “Three evil shepherds” (11:8) more than 40 different opinions
D. Breaking the first staff (11:9-11)
E. Devaluing of the good shepherd (11:12-13)
F. Breaking of the second staff (11:14)
G. Return of the worthless shepherd (11:15-17; cf. v.3)

Chapters Twelve through Fourteen: “The burden of the word of the Lord against Israel”
“On that day” used 17 times

Use of metaphors, hyperbole and symbolic images
Jerusalem a cup (12:2; cf., Isa.51:17/ Jer.25:15-16)
Jerusalem a stone (12:3)
All peoples, all the nations, every horse and rider (12:3, 4, 6, 9; 14:2)
Horses struck blind (12:4; cf. 14:15); plague of rotting flesh, eyes and tongues (14:12; cf., 11:17)
Clans of Judah like a firepan and like a torch (12:6)
Houses of David, Nathan [1 Chr.14:4?] , Levi, Shimei [1 Chr.6:16f?] (12:12-14)
Mourning like at Megiddo (12:11); fleeing like from Uzziah’s earthquake (14:5; cf. Amos 1:1-2)
A fountain that cleanses sin (13:1)
Graphic depiction of intolerance of false prophets (13:2-6; cf., Deut.13:6-10)
Messianic “Shepherd” [Ezek.34:23; 37:24] and sheep (13:7)
The Lord’s “sword” called to “awake” (13:7; cf., 11:17)
Two-thirds and one-third (13:8-9)
Refined like gold (13:9; cf. Isa.1:25; Mal.3:2-3)
“Half” of Jerusalemites go into exile (14:2)
The Lord goes forth and fights (14:3)
The Lord stand on Mt of Olives (14:4; cf., Ezek.11:23)
A day [literally, “day one” (of creation?)] neither day nor night
Living waters flowing (14:8; cf., Ezek.47:1ff/ Joel 3:18)
“No rain” on noncompliant nations (14:17; contrast 10:1)

Topographical changes (cf., 4:7; Ps.46:1-6/ Mic.1:3-4/ Hab.3:6/ Isa.2:2; Isa.40:3-4)
13:1 Fountain opened
14:8 Living waters from Jerusalem
14:4 Mount of Olives split, creating a new valley
!4:10 Whole land (except Jerusalem) a plain

Indicators of accomplished or inaugurated fulfillment:
12:10 Alluded to in Rev.1:7 (cf., Matt.3:11; Joel 2:28-31)
13:1 Occurred at the cross (John 19:34, 37; cf. Ezek.36:25)
13:7 Quoted in Matt.26:31
13:9 Alluded to in 1 Peter 1:7 (cf. Hos.2:23 and 1 Pet.2:9-10) ?
14:4 Occurred in AD 70 (cf. Ezek.11:23)
14:8 Alluded to in John 7:37-39

Impossible to apply to future fulfillment:
14:21 Sacrifices (Heb.9:9-10; 10:4-6, 9-12)
14:16 Festivals (Col.2:16-17)
14:17 Centralized Worship (John 4:21, 23-24)
14:10 Obsolete geographical markers
14:16 Enemy survivors? (1 Thess.5:3/ 2 Thess.1:8-9)

Outline of section:

12:1-9 I. Jerusalem defended (Maccabean period, etc.)
A. Nations will find Jerusalem difficult to defeat (12:1-3)
B. Supernatural victory given to the men of Judah (14:4-9)

12:10--13:9 II. Messianic age inaugurated
A. Holy Spirit given (12:10)
B. Mourning—repentance and/or agony? (12:10-14; cf. Rev.1:7)
C. Cleansing of sin and uncleanness (13:1)
D. Intolerance of false prophets (13:2-6)
1. Even parents will not sympathize (vv.2-3)
2. Parody of Micah 7:14 (vv.4-5)
3. Desperate denial under interrogation (v.6)
E. Messiah smitten (v.7)
F. Destruction of Jerusalem, and survival of remnant (vv.8-9)

14:1-5 III. Jerusalem not defended (remnant delivered—vv.2, 5; cf. Joel 2:32)
Future destruction of future Jerusalem?(14:1ff) Then when does 14:11 occur?

14:6-21 IV. New Jerusalem (Isa.28:16-17/ Heb.12:22-24/Gal.4:25-26)
A. A strange day (14:6-7; cf. Isa.30:26)
B. Living waters flow from “Jerusalem” (14:8)
C. The Lord made universal King (14:9; cf., Matt.28:18/ 1 Tim.6:15)
D. Jerusalem elevated (14:10-11; cf., Isa.2:2; Mic.4:1)
E. Enemies plagued and subjugated (14:12-15)
F. Feast of Tabernacles (14:16-19; cf., Lev.23:39-43/ John 1:14/ 1 Cor.10:1-6)
Keeping this feast was the first thing done by the returned exiles (Ezra 3:3-4)
G.Holiness to the Lord [Ex.28:36ff] on horses’ bells, every pot and bowl (14:20-21)

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:02 am

Blev wrote:Can you tell me what part of the Andrew Corbett site is Calvanism?
On his website (column to the left of the page) there are links to 'Most Requested' articles, one of which is "WHAT IS T.U.L.I.P.?"
A. Corbett's article explains Calvin's teaching; though he doesn't explicitly state that he agrees with it, I think it is implied by the way the article is set out, and he certainly doesn't say anything to indicate disagreement.
So I guess I am assuming that he is a Calvinist, admittedly I haven't really looked at his other articles in any detail.

p.s.
Steve, that article from Josephus is fascinating; thanks for posting your notes.
Suzana

Return to “Major and Minor Prophets”