politics

Discuss your walk and aspects of the kingdom of God here with fellow brothers in the Lord.
jarrod

politics

Post by jarrod » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:50 pm

I see the kingdom of the Lord as an all-encompassing reality and change in mind and thought. We change our allegiance, but even more than that, our complete identify of who we are.

I was just discussing politics with someone and I was struck with the fact that I care very little about that aspect of life, because I don't want to necessarily vote for a "king" (I use that word lightly). As servants and citizens of the kingdom of God, we are able to have God as our King so why would we care about other's "ruling" over us which would be oppressive; "he will take the tenth!" (I wish)

And on the other hand, I was thinking we live here, and the Lord may use us to influence/sway the direction of the vote to preserve as much of his Holy "standard" in the Law of the land as a patient way of trying to reach the church and the people. I would pretty much assume once Christian standards go away, or for the majority of the population, it will not be too long before the ones that preach, "this is not right," will be told "go somewhere else" and it will happen in the form of making it illegal to follow the Lord (that's a guess of course).

Just weighing different thoughts on different sides... thought I would throw it out and see if it caused any discussion or assistance for me. :)

Perry

Re: politics

Post by Perry » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:10 am

Hi Jarod,

My feelings on this topic are quite ambivalent and are not simple enough to easily articulate. On the one hand, I see that we Christians are citizens of a kingdom that is not of "this" world. As such, like you, I sometimes feel like I don't want to get mired in local temporary politics of our current situation.

At the same time, I happily enjoy the fruit of a great deal of blood sweat and tears that made the freedoms we currently enjoy possible. Shouldn't I do my part to see that such benefits are preserved? I also think of the examples of OT Biblical figures like Joseph, Daniel, and Esther, who were involved in the secular governments of their time, and this to the great benefit of the people. But then, perhaps those were unique, divine appointments for which God had a special purpose.

But then, if I vote for a particular politician, what responsibility, good or bad, do I bear for the actions he takes?

In the end, I do vote, and, more often than not, along more conservative lines. I don't do this with a great deal of patriotic fervor, and, at times, I feel I have to choke back the bile as I feed that little slip of paper through the reader. I don't think I could ever campaign for an official position, and I can't, off the top of my head, think of any Biblical examples that would suggest that a Christian should or should not one way or the other.

I don't know if these ramblings are what you had in mind. As I say, my thinking on this topic is a bit muddled, and difficult for me to put into words.

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:03 pm

I like your ramblings; those are generally what I have in mind when I think of Spirit-filled discussion. :)

A lot of your thoughts ring home to me. I grew up with and have always had a patriot bent towards America. I love the men and women for their sacrifice to this country and I have a WWII vet for a grandpa. I love to listen to when he speaks about his experiences and the sacrifice of other men and women that contributed to our freedom. I think one thing that helps us realize this sacrifice, in part or maybe in whole, is we have experienced the true sacrifice of the Lord and know what it is to be rescued and lifted high and that not of our own doing.

When I consider the kingdom and take on a better understanding of Lordship, serving Him and loving Him as a Father, engulfs my entire mind. That mindset makes things of this world so much smaller in my mind that, it's not that those things aren't beneficial and great in themselves, it's they have been vastly superseded by a King who makes us want to consider His pleasure in having any participation in them or not.

But I like your balanced mention of followers in the OT having involvement in the governments. I would think that was just part of the Lord's plan to try, over and over, to lift up and bless a nation that He gave birth to. He wanted his kingdom to be represented and positioned in Israel, but they would never produce fruit, even after the Lord giving the oracles and prophets repeatedly. Instead, I think they worried about the things of this world, and it's hard not to because we live in it. If they (we) were more committed to His kingdom purposes and His good will, everything would have been taken care of by the true King who is more powerful than anyone or anything on this earth. <-- we have stories of His providence over and over.

I think I have been on a gradual shift in my entire way of thinking from some of my old thoughts about this subject.

Jarod

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:48 pm

I don't have any illusions about America being a Christian nation now, it's much more an IPAD & IPOD nation. But i think the right and responsibility to vote has value to me and so i vote for the guy who will more preserve freedom of religion & have a more biblical belief system.

Perry

Post by Perry » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:47 pm

steve7150 wrote:I don't have any illusions about America being a Christian nation now
Me either... check out this short video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4z64YjfEaQ
steve7150 wrote:It's much more an IPAD & IPOD nation.
Hold on now, I really like my IPad! Why would you use one computer to type a message criticizing the use of another? ;)
steve7150 wrote:But i think the right and responsibility to vote has value to me and so i vote for the guy who will more preserve freedom of religion & have a more biblical belief system.
I agree. The tough part is trying to figure out which guy that is... although, after seeing the video above, that seems a bit more clear to me.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Hold on now, I really like my IPad! Why would you use one computer to type a message criticizing the use of another? ;)

Great point! How hypocritical of me to pick on the IPAD from my Laptop. I better get that log out of my eye. Actually my wife has an IPAD & i use an IPOD, a lot.

Return to “The Kingdom”