Church of Christ

For the discussion of the distinctives of the various mainstream Christian denominations
wwalkeriv

Church of Christ

Post by wwalkeriv » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:12 pm

I have a question about the Church of Christ (CoC). I don't want to call the CoC a denomination because I think they would take offense to that, but can anyone shed any light on why the CoC takes such a hard stance on musical instruments in the worship service? I also understand that the CoC labels the various CoC churches in an area as conservative or liberal. A friend of mine attends, what's labeled a liberal CoC (I think because they allow some music during the service). At any rate, his family was told by a member of the conservative church in the area that they would be going to hell if they joined the liberal CoC. Anyone have any insight into this group?

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:31 pm

Last edited by Jill on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mattrose

Re: Church of Christ

Post by mattrose » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:36 am

On the issue of instruments in worship, there are 2 ways of looking at things

1. We should only do something if the NT says do it
2. We are free to do anything unless the NT forbids it

The Church of Christ argues that instrumental worship isn't used taught in the New Testament and therefore we shouldn't do it. I would suppose that the so-called "liberal" churches of Christ would be those who are leaning more towards view #2.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:37 am

wwalkeriv,

Matt is correct in what he wrote. There are various permutaions of what is known as the "Restoration Movement" or "Stone - Campbell" movement which is splt into three main branches: Disciples of Christ, Independent Christian Church, and Church of Christ. Then there are differences among these groups. The Disciples are a main-line denomination, and very liberal.

The majority of Churches of Christ are non-instrumental, but the congregations are highly independent, as are the Independent Christian Churches, and there are at least two Churches of Christ in my area that are instrumental.

The Church of Christ you mentioned:
At any rate, his family was told by a member of the conservative church in the area that they would be going to hell if they joined the liberal CoC. Anyone have any insight into this group?
is, technically, a sect, believing themselves to be the one true Church, while most Churches of Christ today have become evangelical, as have the Independents, believing they are part of the universal Church. There are other churches who are also sects, some among the Baptists.

SamIam

Post by SamIam » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:59 pm

Homer,

You wrote ...
... while most Churches of Christ today have become evangelical, as have the Independents, believing they are part of the universal Church ...
Who does the word "they" refer to? Do they consider themselves as individuals to be a part of the universal Church? Or do they consider their congregation to be part of the universal Church?

Do you consider the "universal Church" to be composed of individuals, congregations or denominations?

I think it is important to make these distinctions.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:17 pm

SamIam,

I believe there is only one universal church composed of all who put their faith in Christ as both Lord and Savior, and I believe only God knows for sure who they are.

Homer

SamIam

Post by SamIam » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Homer,

It seems that you and I and Thomas Campbell (in his "Declaration and Address") agree.

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:10 pm

SamIam,

Yes, that was quite the speech he gave. I especially have never forgotten the story about the missionary to the Indians in upstate New York.

God bless, Homer

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Last edited by Jill on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

selah

Post by selah » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:56 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:I wonder if Thomas Campbell was related to, or by teachings, to Alexander Campbell of "The Campbellites"? Many of Campbellites, from Sindey Rigdons group in Kirkland Ohio, merged with the early Church of Christ group when Joseph Smith had brought over some copies of the book of mormon in 1831. The Church of Christ had been the official name chosen by the first (The Bible+BoM) group comprised of only 6 members in Fayette New York April 6, 1830. Many, who did not follow The Church of Christ group on into deeper waters, as The Church of Latter-day Saints, and then futher onto The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I think, remained The Church of Christ even is day. David Whitmer for instance. Eliza R. Snow, and her brother Lorenzo snow, from that early Campbellite group in Kirkland Ohio, remained with this first early group and on into the later LDS group as key presidential figures who's writings are still quite well read as "classic" by today's LDS members. We get materials from The Church of Christ I've noticed, that are used in official LDS Church historical compiliations.
Karen, I have an LDS friend (offline) of 23 years who is a descendent of the Campbells. I could ask her if she knows.
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Return to “Denominations”