Seventh-day Adventists

For the discussion of the distinctives of the various mainstream Christian denominations
RND

Re: Seventh-day Adventists

Post by RND » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:22 pm

TK,

Adventists are known for our proclamation of the "Three Angels Messages" in Revelation 14 but I can't answer your question regarding "Three Powers in Prayer."

David
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:11 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RND

Post by RND » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:47 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:RND,

I took note by previous posts of possible early SDA ties to the early LDS. Do you know anything of this? This of coarse is after the 1776 emancipation from Britain by at least 50+ years, when "freedom of religion" was spelled out just a bit more clearly, and small organized religions spread like wildfire, so it seems.

William Miller....was mentioned along with Joseph Smith's name and 1839 Masonry in the article Paidion had just linked in The Great Disappointment of aug 1844. (JS was killed in June 1844). Most LDS writings post date this time. Samuel S. Snow is mentioned just prior to the re-naming of the SDA movement. Then there is Ellen G. White (SDA) and her volumous writings that I know little about except what you've shared on the forum. There is an Eliza R. Snow (LDS), sister of Lorenzo Snow who later became an LDS President, she also became wife to two later LDS Presidents. I believe she was privy to the absurd LDS early church practice of polygammy. The numerous LDS writings mentioned so often by James White and other LDS protagonists, post date the murder of Joseph Smith (1805-1844).
There have been many woman involved in other smaller start-up groups. Mary Eddie Baker, I also know very little about. Even today an Elizabeth Claire "Prophet" is channeler for the Church Universal and Triumphant on the Forbes property in Montana. C.U.T. is a known little group to come out from Roman Catholicism. My point? Just currious about women and the church.....
Karen, thanks for your post and inquiring about a possible connection between Adventism and Latter Day Saints. Personally, I know of no specific connection between the two denominations. There are certain similarities but that is about as close as it gets. One would be that Miller certainly was a Freemason, but the references are very fleeting and historically it can be debated the role Freemasonry played in his life. I think Joseph Smith was much more active and it appears that much of the LDS ceremonies, temple services and hierarchy is based on Freemasonry. Also, Miller was not sabbatarian. He was your typical Sunday keeping Baptist. Another would be that many early Adventist's were non-trinitarian or Arian but that changed as well over time. Those are some of the similarities I know of.

Also Karen, I get uncomfortable taking about anothers denomination if I'm not fairly certain what I discuss. I know things about LDS but I would never call them a cult. I know loads about Catholicism but I would never call them a cult. Same with JW's. That's why you'll generally see that I don't offer anything much to some of your posts. I'm generally like this because just as I don't like to hear that EGW was a "false prophet" I'm not comfortable when I see this attached to people such as Joseph Smith or Brigham Young. I like the Bible to stand alone and then if certain clarity can be added the I'll try to add it. I quote others at times but I do certainly quote EGW quite a bit as well. Anyway Karen, I find 1844 to be a very interesting year but probably not for the same reasons you might! :D

David
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Jill

Post by Jill » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:30 pm

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:45 pm

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:13 am

Non-SDA Christians are wrong to judge SDA Christians for Sabbath worship, and SDA members are wrong to judge other Christians for non-Sabbath worship.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17)

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:20 am

Admittedly, I am not familiar with all of Ellen White's prophecies, but it is my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that she did make some predictions that did not come true. We need to look at how God defines a false prophet:

When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. (Deuteronomy 18:22)

In other words, a prophet that is 99% accurate is still a false prophet. That would make people like Harold Camping and others that have made end-of-time predictions that were wrong false prophets. I don't say this to be critical of your beliefs and your denomination. I view the SDA as a true Christian denomination (although I disagree with some doctrinal positions), but I'm always leery of the prophets that certain movements regard.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:22 am

I too have a keen interest in the subject of the Messianic movement btw.

Jill

Post by Jill » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:42 am

Hi Jill, not sure why you're mentioning Baptists, other than to say that SDA try to sound like they are Baptist-like...?

Return to “Denominations”