Does Luke 16:19-31 speak of purgatory?

popeman

Re: Does Luke 16:19-31 speak of purgatory?

Post by popeman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:55 am

Dear Michelle,

Sorry, I thought I was dealing with a Christian that could take a little “in-your-face” as Tom has been catching the same from a good majority of you. If you can not see it then I may recommend that you go back to the beginning and read numerous “condescending” remarks made of Tom’s position and therefore inferring the same on all Catholic Christians.

You (Protestants?) appear to dish it out but when it comes back you act aloof and offended as if you never read your own remarks. If you are truly as Christian as you act out to be then I assume you will look to your Scriptural/historical Christians for guidance on how to act. No one here, me included, has cursed at you, called you some ethnic slur or posted hate pictures up, yet Christians have died to argue their Christian perspective, were cursed at in Scripture, cursing themselves in Scripture, cutting off ears, had terribly argumentative/polemic debates in Scripture and now you want to sequester my opinion because it may be a little strong?

My “prologue” was maybe 5% of what I had to say and you said the body of discussion was “pretty interesting”, yet you spent 95% of your discussion about being “hurt”? No where did I say anyone was “stupid”…you said that. My inferences were 100% on the money because not one Protestant has said anything to support Tom/Catholic position on Mary/Ark. That is a fact by just looking at the posts. If anyone should be mad it should be Tom. I inferred he “drinks”. That may offend some, but Tom probably took it with a smile as it was intended.

If you really want to impress anyone you should bypass the trite prologue and discuss the “very interesting” body of discussion how a Protestant(s) found themselves in a perplexing situation where they were neither in heaven or hell, rather in a place/moment that is very Catholic for the doctrine of purgatory.

As I appreciate your prologue observation and mis-opinion that I called Protestants “stupid” and bringing these observations/opinions to everyone’s attention I would also ask you to be more fair & balanced (to quote a great TV news channel) in your observations. How? Where were you when one Protestant posted a picture of a sick man holding the hand of the Pope and then making comments that men should not worship another man (ie, I assume some inference of, maybe, Mary worship?). The picture/comments no doubt inferring Catholics are into some psudeo-idol/man worship.

Where were you then? Did you come out with blazing guns telling your Protestant friend to “back off, that is uncalled for”? No. Not a single one of you did. So I waited and still no one critiqued this individual. Therefore, I came back with a pile of Protestant “failings” with a “don’t throw stones in a glass” house comment to this individual.

Sorry, if I am a little strong on you, but I figure since I am not calling you names, cursing at you, nailing you to a cross that therefore you can take a little criticism. If you want me banned from this site then simply have the web master do so with your explanation. The Nazi’s did the same to those that disagreed with them, too but my Dad fought from Normandy to Belgium, so we can be a little sternfully truthful to one another without worrying about being censured.

Oh, you also asked why I post? I have posted with questions but keep getting the dodge. Talk about my purgatory experience with Protestants. Talk about Act 15 and Matthew where Scripture tells us of an authoritative, mandating Church that NT Christians had to follow. I am not getting a whole lot of feedback except for one Protestant that said that Acts 15 was not intended for Christians in our times [paraphrased]. PAX Popeman

PS
Even though you may think another is being wrong to you please be Scriptural and “turn the other cheek”, also start your comments out with a salutation “Dear, hello, Hi…etc”, not just (dead zone) and then finish it with a departure remark “Goodbye, God bless, Peace, love…etc) and sign your name. Do not keep your Christian love simply within the confines of your friends. Peace out, Popeman

RND

Post by RND » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:04 am

tom wrote: I was only stating that purgatory was able to be defended in scripture.
Where?
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:31 am

My dearest popeman,

I really am not hurt or offended by your post and I don't want to have you banned or have your posts censured or sequestered; I merely wanted to point out that when you start out your post the way you did, it tends to override anything you might have to say, no matter how fascinating it is.

I'm sorry that I characterized your attitude as "protestants are stupid" when you actually said, "...if Protestants can not even comprehend the OT/NT figurement of Eve and Mary and the Ark which is right in front of them, how can you expect them to comprehend a state of purgatory, purgation, cleaning?" I tend to see lack of comprehension as stupidity, but apparently you don't.
Where were you when one Protestant posted a picture of a sick man holding the hand of the Pope and then making comments that men should not worship another man (ie, I assume some inference of, maybe, Mary worship?). The picture/comments no doubt inferring Catholics are into some psudeo-idol/man worship.

Where were you then? Did you come out with blazing guns telling your Protestant friend to “back off, that is uncalled for”? No. Not a single one of you did. So I waited and still no one critiqued this individual. Therefore, I came back with a pile of Protestant “failings” with a “don’t throw stones in a glass” house comment to this individual.
I have no idea what picture you are talking about. Would you please direct me to where it is posted?

In the meantime, by all means, carry on.

Goodbye, God bless, peace, love....etc,
Michelle

TK

Post by TK » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:51 pm

Popeman-

you are not relying on the common "white light" experience to support the doctrine of purgatory, are you?

TK

Return to “Roman Catholicism”