Connection to Steve/ The Narrow Path

Introduce yourself, get to know others, and commune with one another!
Sean

Re: Connection to Steve/ The Narrow Path

Post by Sean » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:56 pm

anochria wrote:
sean wrote:
So I took a chance and checked it out. I couldn't believe all the painfully long and free lectures.
I know! I love Steve's lectures but how does anyone have the time to listen to them? It took me a couple of months to find enough alone time to listen to the eschatology series and now it's been a good month plowing through the "some assembly required".

I also had to laugh at Steve's thoroughness when I asked him a question the last time I saw him at the open forum in Camas. I asked specifically about the state of the departed "saints" and he launched into a full-on exploration of the afterlife ;) I think he just knew that if he only answered my particular question someone was bound to jump in with a related question. Heading them off at the pass I guess :lol:
I wouldn't want it any other way. There are too many sound bite answers these days. Steve is like a breath of fresh air. As long as you have the time, that is. ;)
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

anochria

Post by anochria » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:20 pm

A LONG, deep breath of fresh air 8-)
Pastor Josh Coles, Aletheia Christian Fellowship
Visit the Aletheia Discussion Forums

Allyn

Post by Allyn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:46 am

My son heard him on the BAM and recommended that I listen to the reairing of the show. I then went from there to TheNarrowPath and listened to many of his lectures.

Steve may not like this credit but he is the one who actually led me to full-preterism. Inadvertently Steve taught me that there is no break in the Daniel, Matthew, Mark and Luke accounts of the destruction of Jerusalem and the resurrection of the dead.

selah

Post by selah » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:52 pm

Anochria wrote:
I love Steve's lectures but how does anyone have the time to listen to them? It took me a couple of months to find enough alone time to listen to the eschatology series and now it's been a good month plowing through the "some assembly required".
I enjoy listening when cleaning house, sewing, gardening, driving in the car, preparing and eating breakfast or preparing for bed at night. With this, it helps to live alone. :)

In 2000 or 2001, I met Steve in Albany, Oregon at a Bible study hosted by Ron and Barb Reed. I was encouraged to listen to TNP and teachings from the website. My first series was "Some Assembly Required" because as a new Christian (1999) I wanted to spend time with believers but needed to know where to go to do this. Not wanting to join a religious club, I thought "Some Assembly Required" was great!

Eventually, I stopped attending the Bible study and visited/attended a variety of churches, but never stopped listening to teachings from thenarrowpath. Finally, a little over a year ago, I reaquainted myself with a family from the original Bible study and they invited me to their home fellowship. I was surprised to find that some of the members are former students of The Great Commission School. Now, I feel very blessed to be a member among the fellowship.

Over the years, I have listened to just about every topical teaching Steve has produced, but still have hundreds of hours to go on the many text-by-text series.

By the way, I recently had a garage/moving sale and needing to let go of things, I put the old "Some Assembly Required" cassette tape series in the "Free" box. A very nice gentleman with a strong english accent took them. I told him about TNP website and he said he had never heard of Steve Gregg or TNP, but that he would go online and find the site. That old cassette tape series may even today, still be "out there" helping people understand scripture!

Steve, Great Commission School (former) students, TNP forum friends, and my home fellowship family, "I :) thank my God upon every remembrance of you...for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now." Phil 1:3-5
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:36 pm

I was already a Hank Hanegraaff disciple when Steve appeard on his show the first time. Since Hank would never endorse a heretic (or so I reasoned) I listened and was quite taken by Steve's on-air personality for some reason. I went to the site and remember seeing his mugshot on the front page, which prompted concern. It was surprising because I couldn't associate that voice with that face. Also, there were no Glammer Shots and the dude wasn't even wearing a suit! If you'd like to see said photo - it's still there. :P

After judging a book by its cover, I tried to listen to a lecture but didn't make it through. A short time later I had a question about a verse in Revelation and went back for a listen since Hank had given him some credibility - this time enjoying it. Like heroin, it only took a taste to get me hooked. Since then I've stopped listening to Hank in favor of TNP broadcast. Steve's attitude and lack of commercial interests will spoil you and it's hard to go back to other shows.

AaronBDisney

Post by AaronBDisney » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:31 pm

Jason wrote: Like heroin, it only took a taste to get me hooked. Since then I've stopped listening to Hank in favor of TNP broadcast. Steve's attitude and lack of commercial interests will spoil you and it's hard to go back to other shows.
There's a good ad for the show
THE NARROW PATH: THE HEROIN OF CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING :lol:

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:48 pm

AaronBDisney wrote:
Jason wrote: Like heroin, it only took a taste to get me hooked. Since then I've stopped listening to Hank in favor of TNP broadcast. Steve's attitude and lack of commercial interests will spoil you and it's hard to go back to other shows.
:D

TK

Post by TK » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:33 pm

I dont remember exactly how I i found the narrow path- definitely wasnt over the radio and i believe it was just a random google search on some theology topic that led me to steve's lectures. i think the first i listened to was the Radically Christian Counterculture series and this was eye opening enough to keep me coming back for more. The "life and teachings of Jesus Christ" series- though daunting, forever changed my views on various things.

Anochria wrote:
I love Steve's lectures but how does anyone have the time to listen to them? It took me a couple of months to find enough alone time to listen to the eschatology series and now it's been a good month plowing through the "some assembly required".
45 minute commute to and from work and mp3 cds, baby. that's how it is done. i've listened to hundreds of hours of steve's teachings this way.

TK

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:47 pm

TK wrote:
45 minute commute to and from work and mp3 cds, baby. that's how it is done. i've listened to hundreds of hours of steve's teachings this way.

TK
iPod in my pocket -- 10 minute walks through parking lots and elevators, sitting in reception areas, Houston traffic, etc.

selah

Post by selah » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Michelle wrote:
AaronBDisney wrote:
:D
Hi Michelle, I am watching this thread and smiled about these comments too. Hey, I sure have missed you and our cyberspace conversations!

I have been off the forum more than I wanted to be, but I listen to the show every day either live or archived. I appreciate TNP for all the same reasons mentioned above and also like the guy that Steve read his email last show. I believe the disenfranchized and disillusioned Christians and even fallen Christians, if they will listen to TNP will see that being a "Christian" is not what most of us have been led to think. Our relationship with our Saviour is so much better than following a bunch of rules or believing a list of dogma. Following Jesus is the adventure of our lifetimes!

I just thought I would say, "hi!" I hope to be more consistent on forum. What is a good thread to follow right now? What is a "hot topic?" Thanks!

selah*
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Return to “The Courtyard”