Types, Antitypes, and Universalism

steve

Re: Types, Antitypes, and Universalism

Post by steve » Wed May 08, 2013 8:14 pm

ET might be correctly called "the commonly held" view but universalism is the popular view in the sense of people liking it; it has a popular appeal. People want to believe it, as they have since day one.
So the view most amenable to the sensitivities of all people (Christian and non-Christian) is the one that should be held in suspicion by default—while the view hated by everyone, including its advocates, and including God (according to Spurgeon and many traditionalists) escapes the burden of proof?

What a God we serve! One whose values are all opposite of those of the best of humans, and who behaves precisely the opposite of how He commands us to behave!

Doug,

The examples you gave from the Old Testament, because they are only examples of physical death (a fate suffered even by the righteous), do not address ultimate purposes of God in the final judgment. Some of the examples you gave are those of decent people who succumbed in a moment to a temptation and were immediately taken out for it. Others are women, children and infants in whole populations that were destroyed. Is it your belief that these are good examples of people who ought to be tortured eternally, rather than brought to repentance?

What a God!

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Steve,

I am not an advocate of eternal conscious torment. I think that annihilation is the most satisfying of the theories of personal eschatology that I've heard. So, no, I don't think that any of their deaths deserves eternal conscious torment. But, it also appears that I misunderstood your point. If the Old Testament is essentially silent about the destiny of unbelievers (other than physical death death and a few short passages like Daniel 12) then I don't think there is much to be learned typologically there. The most you might get is the imagery such as dissipating smoke after being burnt up (but, that's poetic imagery, not type/antitype narrative).

Doug

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed May 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Steve,

Paul seems to have thought the type-antitype examples of judgement were important. He made use of a few here. I would be interested in seeing how the universalist idea is found, rather than being refuted, in the passage:
1 Corinthians 10:1-12, New King James Version (NKJV)

1. Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2. all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3. all ate the same spiritual food, 4. and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ. 5. But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness. 6. Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. 7. And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” 8. Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell; 9. nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents; 10. nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer. 11. Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. 12. Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.
The whole history from Egypt to the promised land is full of types for our edification. Perhaps I misunderstand Paul and the warning isn't as serious as it seems, but I didn't think some of those folks would ever get to the promised land.

steve

Post by steve » Wed May 08, 2013 10:13 pm

The promised land was an earthly destiny. You and I understand typology differently. My understanding is expressed in my posts above.

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu May 09, 2013 2:51 am

Doug wrote;
I think that annihilation is the most satisfying of the theories
My mother is not a professing Christian but is rightly horrified and sickened to the core by the antics of Ariel Castro. Nonetheless according to this doctrine, she will be equally annihilated alongside him. Where is the justice in that?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:37 am

My mother is not a professing Christian but is rightly horrified and sickened to the core by the antics of Ariel Castro. Nonetheless according to this doctrine, will be equally annihilated alongside him. Where is the justice in that?

Ian

Even within the annihilation or CU view there is still a lake of fire and God can dole out the appropriate custom designed punishment before either destruction or restoration.
Under the ET view your mother would be eternally tormented along with Ariel Castro and Adolf Hitler and countless other evil people.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu May 09, 2013 9:11 am

Steve,
The promised land was an earthly destiny. You and I understand typology differently. My understanding is expressed in my posts above.
I am supposing this is the reply you reference; if I'm mistaken please point me to your position:
The judgments of the Old Testament can be seen as "types" of the ultimate judgment, though the judgments in the Old Testament were of nations corporately (individual fates of the righteous and the guilty in those societies were not always discussed), the final judgment involves every individual answering for his/her deeds.

Where the similarity is found is in the purpose of God's judgments—they are remedial. Israel as a nation was destroyed, and then restored. This was God's purpose in judging.
In Paul's OT types cited in 1 Corinthians 10 we find individuals who were part of the nation died in the wilderness while others entered the promised land, and there is no hint of "remedial" in it. Paul issued it as a warning to those to whom he wrote.

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Thu May 09, 2013 9:43 am

Ian wrote:Doug wrote;
I think that annihilation is the most satisfying of the theories
My mother is not a professing Christian but is rightly horrified and sickened to the core by the antics of Ariel Castro. Nonetheless according to this doctrine, will be equally annihilated alongside him. Where is the justice in that?
As was pointed out, the advantage to annihilation is that it provides a meaningful custom amount of pain and torment for each person judged depending on his bad acts in life.

The following is an illustration that we'll use to evaluate all three approaches. Assuming some kind of torment is involved, for each sin you did you have to undergo one minute of immersion in hot lava. You have two people to judge. One, Jimmy, is 10 years old. Through whatever mysterious mechanism God has put into place Jimmy reached the age of accountability this morning because he finally did one more sin, became aware that it was a sin, felt convicted of it by the Holy Spirit, blew off God, ran out the front door and was hit by a car. On the other hand, you have Joe who is the worst murderer in the history of the world. He is responsible for ordering the deaths of about 50 million people. I'll assume each one is a sin. Both Jimmy and Joe have to spend trillions of trillions of trillions of years in hell paying for those sins.

For eternal conscious torment, Jimmy decides to get his one sin out of the way the first day, and so spends the rest of the time sitting around with nothing to do. Joe decides that he will do a minute a week, with the rest of the time spent sitting around with nothing to do. Eventually they are both done and sit around with nothing to do. We can't say that they are constantly perpetually tortured because they have only committed a certain number of sins and according to Revelation 20 they are both judged for their sins. We might try to extend the time allotted for the torture by cutting the number of calories of heat down to 1/2 and then double the number of torture events. But, eventually, they are sitting around with nothing to do because infinity is a big number. If we do this enough times then they are perpetually sitting in a hot tub because we've run out of heat, so I don't think this is a good approach. The real problem here is time. One ECT theory worth pointing out comes from L. S. Chafer (this is as far back as I've been able to trace it) through Dallas Theological Seminary. In their atonement scheme Jesus indeed paid for all personal sin other than unbelief in himself (since he did actually believe in himself he couldn't pay for that one), so that the only sin Jimmy and Joe are paying for is unbelief in Jesus, and so they both get the permanent max sentence. This strikes me as a bit unfair, but was a novel attempt on their point to get out from under universalism while still keeping penal substitutionary atonement.

I am not an expert on universalism, but it seems to me that there are two basic approaches. In the first one, God says that Jimmy and Joe are both pardoned and are both immediately allowed into heaven. This strikes me as at least unjust, and probably a bad idea for a couple of other reasons. The second approach says that Joe and Jimmy are in hell until they are tortured for their sins and then they are restored. I could live with that, but I don't see that mechanism described anywhere in scripture.

For annihilation, we basically start with the eternal conscious torment model and say that when they are done paying they blink out of existence. For both parties it would be fair since they were tortured the right amount for what they did wrong. No one gets away with anything, and the punishment is fair. No one is entitled to exist eternally, eternal life is a gift from God to those who've complied with his program. I think there is a great deal of scriptural evidence pointing to this system as opposed to universalism. Though there also seems to be some evidence for eternal conscious torment, I think a close look will reveal that it's not as well documented as the proponents assume. Steve has done a good job of describing this on one of this interviews I listened to.

Doug

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:34 pm

For annihilation, we basically start with the eternal conscious torment model and say that when they are done paying they blink out of existence. For both parties it would be fair since they were tortured the right amount for what they did wrong. No one gets away with anything, and the punishment is fair.

The ECT believer might say that no one can pay for their sins, only Jesus can and since the sinner never accessed Jesus forgiveness they can never pay for their sins nor be forgiven hence they chose eternal torment.

What say you?

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Thu May 09, 2013 3:19 pm

steve7150 wrote: The ECT believer might say that no one can pay for their sins, only Jesus can and since the sinner never accessed Jesus forgiveness they can never pay for their sins nor be forgiven hence they chose eternal torment.

What say you?
I'd respond by asking the ECT advocate where he gets that in scripture. The closest scripture comes to something like that is the idea that only Christ can pay for someone else's sin because he was sinless. But, I'm not aware of anywhere that says that he can't pay for his own sin.

Doug

Return to “Views of Hell”