The Last Judgement

Homer

Re: The Last Judgement

Post by Homer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi paidion,

You wrote:
It seems to me that Paul is saying that if there's no resurrection, then we might as well eat and drink, since there will be no afterlife.

Are you suggesting that Paul actually means, "If the wicked are not destroyed, 'Let us eat and drink, for why should we surrender our whole lives to Him if everyone will be saved tomorrow' "?
Or, "If the wicked are not tortured forever, 'Let us eat and drink, for why should we surrender our whole lives to Him if everyone will be saved tomorrow' "?
No, if there is no resurrection then there is no judgement. Paul says in Acts 17:30 that Christ's resurrection is proof that there will be a judgement. And if it is known that all will be saved after resurrection (we are constantly told all that is needed is to say "Jesus is Lord"), then to many it will make much more sense to say "uncle" when confronted with the risen Lord. They can live it up now, and if it turns out they are wrong they will still have one more card to play.

You think highly of Origen as a theologian. Why do you think he said that the idea of universalism was too dangerous to disseminate? Could it be he had the same idea I have as to its pernicious effect?

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi Jepne,

You wrote,
Funny, when Homer mentioned Hefner having a life of fun, I was reminded of a woman missionary who cried when she spoke of all she had given up to bring the Gospel to the lost in Africa. She had not gone out by or in the Spirit of the Lord!
Some people here appear to think I am envious of Hugh Hefner due to my referencing him several times. This idea is false. I have no interest in Hefner other than as a rather fitting and handy icon of the hedonist infidel.

Icon
Noun
1.A painting of Christ or another holy figure, used as an aid to devotion in the Byzantine and other Eastern Churches.
2.A person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something: "icon of manhood".

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:21 pm

(we are constantly told all that is needed is to say "Jesus is Lord"),

Really Homer, we are constantly told this ? I must have missed it, so i should pay more attention to these constant statements.

steve

Post by steve » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 am

(we are constantly told all that is needed is to say "Jesus is Lord"),

Really Homer, we are constantly told this ? I must have missed it, so i should pay more attention to these constant statements.
Homer,

It seems that you often bring up these straw man arguments. You have repeatedly said, in effect: "The sinner can sin his life away and then just change his story after death and get off scott-free."

To this, I would respond:

1) No one I know (certainly not at this forum) has ever reduced the basis of salvation to the mouthing of certain words—which even the demons are capable of saying. You know this, I think. So why do you repeatedly misrepresent the views of those with whom you are trying to argue? Is it because their views cannot be refuted without first being misrepresented?

2) True repentance is required for salvation, isn't it? This is not a difference between you and the evangelical universalists, but a shared conviction. I believe that you would agree that one who spends a lifetime hardening his heart against God will not find it an easy matter to repent thoroughly in an instant. This is the same doctrine, whether applied before or after death, isn't it?

3) Isn't the doctrine of salvation by grace (undeserved mercy) what you believe when applied to death-bed repentance? I have always believed in this possibility, even when I supported the traditional view of hell. How is God's showing mercy toward a postmortem penitent less appropriate than His accepting a death-bed repentance? Aren't both equally examples of someone "getting away with it" all their lives, and yet finding mercy for eternity? If you object to the one, why not the other? Why would God accept the one, but reject the other? Just asking.

Your objections seem to avoid these questions, which seem central to the point under consideration (i.e., the possibility of postmortem repentance and salvation).

In researching for my book on hell, I was very surprised to discover that the only biblical arguments for the view that I espoused most of my life (the doctrine of eternal torment) rest on the interpretation of very few (perhaps, five?) ambiguous verses. You complain that there are no verses about repentance in hell. This argument from silence is inconsistent, since there are none that unambiguously preclude repentance after the judgment, or that necessitate that the misery of the damned must last forever. Your complaint against the restorationists ignores the fact that hell is not really discussed thoroughly (nor is heaven) in any scriptural passage, nor is hell even the subject of more than a very few passages in the entire Bible.

If we wish to resolve the question of which view of hell is correct, we will not be able to do so on the basis of the handful of doubtful texts that can be said to refer directly to the subject—since they are in every case ambiguous. The Bible is not a message about hell, but about God. The universalists base their doctrine of personal eschatology on the bulk of the scriptures and their portrayal of God (this is the theme of scripture), not on a few ambiguous passages that might or might not discuss the question of the long-term fate of wicked men.

In this respect, the universalist claims rest on a foundation of scripture 100 times more abundant than does the traditionalist, because the Bible speaks at least 100 times more frequently about the heart and character of God than it does about postmortem retribution. Even the many passages about judgment of the wicked (few of which can be said to speak of judgment in another world than this one) are tempered with promises of mercy and restoration, after the judgment is past.

Typical of this theme, in the prophets, would be the threats God made to Israel in Hosea:

"All their wickedness is in Gilgal, For there I hated them. Because of the evil of their deeds I will drive them from My house; I will love them no more. All their princes are rebellious." (9:15)

Followed by this promise:

"I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely, For My anger has turned away from him." (14:4)

One would be hard-pressed to find an oracle about judgment in the Old Testament that was in no way connected to promises of restoration and mercy upon the same subjects toward whom the threats apply. Even when no promises are stated, as in Jonah's oracle against Nineveh, they are nonetheless implicit (Jer.18:7-10).

Please provide the complete list of verses in which you think you can see a doctrine of postmortem, hopeless judgment for the lost. They could be listed on a postage stamp, I would think.

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:23 am

Hi steve,

You wrote:
I believe that you would agree that one who spends a lifetime hardening his heart against God will not find it an easy matter to repent thoroughly in an instant. This is the same doctrine, whether applied before or after death, isn't it?

Isn't the doctrine of salvation by grace (undeserved mercy) what you believe when applied to death-bed repentance? I have always believed in this possibility, even when I supported the traditional view of hell. How is God's showing mercy toward a postmortem penitent less appropriate than His accepting a death-bed repentance? Aren't both equally examples of someone "getting away with it" all their lives, and yet finding mercy for eternity? If you object to the one, why not the other? Why would God accept the one, but reject the other? Just asking.
I remember a conversation with you in McMinnville some years ago where you scoffed at the idea that anyone could resist confession of Jesus as Lord when confronted with the resurrected Christ. Seems to me they will be like John, Rev. 1:17. Again and again were are told God 's punishment is for nothing more than correction. We both agree the death bed confession is valid, even for Ted Bundy (hey, I avoided using Hugh Hefner, but he was so handy ;) ). And the fear of imminent death can cause a change of heart. Please show (you or any other universalist) from either logic or the scriptures, how, if universalism is true, that a "resurrection confession" would not be as acceptable as a death bed one. Your statement above appears to acknowledge that one occasion (deathbed) is a counterpart of the other (resurrection). I am asking hypothetically. I do not deny that some may choose to be separated from God forever.
In this respect, the universalist claims rest on a foundation of scripture 100 times more abundant than does the traditionalist, because the Bible speaks at least 100 times more frequently about the heart and character of God than it does about postmortem retribution. Even the many passages about judgment of the wicked (few of which can be said to speak of judgment in another world than this one) are tempered with promises of mercy and restoration, after the judgment is past.

Typical of this theme, in the prophets, would be the threats God made to Israel in Hosea:

"All their wickedness is in Gilgal, For there I hated them. Because of the evil of their deeds I will drive them from My house; I will love them no more. All their princes are rebellious." (9:15)

Followed by this promise:

"I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely, For My anger has turned away from him." (14:4)
What you need to do to make your point is to show examples where God's judgements resulted in the restoration of every individual of those judged. All the people who were judged are then restored. That would be universalism.

steve

Post by steve » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 pm

I remember a conversation with you in McMinnville some years ago where you scoffed at the idea that anyone could resist confession of Jesus as Lord when confronted with the resurrected Christ.
I am not sure what my exact words were, but I have always believed that Saul, on the road to Damascus, had the option of rebelling. I might have said, "I don't see how anyone who saw Christ risen could continue in disbelief" (or something similar), but you are still missing my point. I don't believe that anyone can be bullied into loving God. Until someone loves God, their heart is not changed, nor suited to be with Him. Seeing Christ risen might or might not have that effect on someone. Hearts do not always change easily. It is not a given that seeing Jesus will immediately turn sinners' hearts toward Him and inspire selfless love and surrender to Him.
We both agree the death bed confession is valid, even for Ted Bundy (hey, I avoided using Hugh Hefner, but he was so handy ). And the fear of imminent death can cause a change of heart.
It can, but doesn't always.
Please show (you or any other universalist) from either logic or the scriptures, how, if universalism is true, that a "resurrection confession" would not be as acceptable as a death bed one. Your statement above appears to acknowledge that one occasion (deathbed) is a counterpart of the other (resurrection). I am asking hypothetically. I do not deny that some may choose to be separated from God forever.
I am not quite getting your point here. Are you asking why, if a resurrection repentance is acceptable to God, we would ever urge people to repent prior to that (i.e., on their death-bed)?

First, I don't know anything about postmortem repentance. I don't even know if it exists. I can't say much about it. As a rule, though, I would argue that repentance is always preferable earlier, rather than later. The longer one hardens his heart against repentance, the more difficult true repentance will be.

Second, the real reason for any repentance is so that God will get more of what He deserves out of us during our short lifetime. The more delayed the repentance, the more God is ripped off of our service.
What you need to do to make your point is to show examples where God's judgements resulted in the restoration of every individual of those judged. All the people who were judged are then restored. That would be universalism.
In quoting Hosea, I was not arguing specifically for universalism, but for a general drift in God's revelation of His own heart. After all, most of the defenses either of annihilation or of eternal torment depend, primarily, on verses (like Hosea 9:15) which speak of temporal judgment and rejection. My point is that, as much as can be proved for other views from such passages can also be proved against them by the same passages—since the destruction and punishment described is generally followed by God's promise to forgive and restore (like Hosea 14:4).

I didn't find, in your response, an answer to my question, which I will rephrase so as not to be hard to understand:

You think it a bad thing for God to accept the repentance of one who has died, because (apparently) that person would seem to have "gotten away with" his whole life of sinning, and been admitted to heaven nonetheless. I asked why this same objection could not be raised against the concept of a deathbed repentance. Wouldn't that equally be a case of one having "gotten away with" his whole life of sinning, and been admitted to heaven nonetheless? If one of these scenarios seems objectionable to you, why not the other? And why would you, in the one case, but not in the other, deprive God of a soul that He has forever desired to save? I am trying to find some consistency in your objections.

I would still like to see all those powerful scriptural passages that support the traditional view of hell. I already know how many are available for the conditionalist view, and that you are open to that one as well as to the traditionalist. This is good, so far as it goes.

However, you more strenuously object to the restorationist than to the traditionalist vision of retribution—meaning you are at least more open to God being like the God of the Pharisees' teaching than you are to Him being like the God of Jesus' teaching. I suppose you feel compelled, by a strong scriptural case, at least to entertain what seems to me an egregious slander against God. After all, if the traditionalist view is not true (a possibility you are willing to entertain), then it must be acknowledged that it is indeed an outrageous slander against God's character. Anyone even open to such a monstrous idea must have wonderful scriptural evidences!

Therefore, having shared with you the many verses used by universalists, I would like to see the total list of verses which you think give the traditional view any actual credibility.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:50 pm

Homer mentioned the verse: "night is coming when no man can work". Is this good evidence that there is no post mortem repentance?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Roberto wrote:Homer mentioned the verse: "night is coming when no man can work". Is this good evidence that there is no post mortem repentance?
It could mean that when the night of death comes for each of us, we can no longer work here on earth to evangelize and thus extend the Kingdom of God.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Paidion wrote:
Roberto wrote:Homer mentioned the verse: "night is coming when no man can work". Is this good evidence that there is no post mortem repentance?
It could mean that when the night of death comes for each of us, we can no longer work here on earth to evangelize and thus extend the Kingdom of God.
It doesn't say that, though. It doesn't mention evangelism. Right?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:08 am

It doesn't say that, though. It doesn't mention evangelism. Right?

Roberto

No but i think it means the type of works God wants in general like "doing good" , "preaching the gospel", "loving God and neighbor" etc. Simply put we can't do these things when we die. It refers to this life here on earth during our earthly lifetime IMO. Jesus may have been just talking about himself and the time he had left.

Return to “Views of Hell”