UR, Jesus, and the Atonement

steve7150

Re: UR, Jesus, and the Atonement

Post by steve7150 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:41 pm

At this point I am just trying to get her to realize that UR is a viable alternative, not for her to embrace it 100%. I don't embrace it 100%, yet.

To me the strongest point in it's favor is that it's God's will, the other views are not. Then the issue becomes do we want God's will to be done as Jesus did? Jesus prayed for God's will to be done yet many believers are passionately against UR.

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Steve7150,
Jesus prayed for God's will to be done yet many believers are passionately against UR.
As apparently the only "opponent" of UR who posts here any longer, I assume you include me, but you do so in error. I am not opposed to UR. I am opposed to false teaching that diminishes Jesus' many warnings. If univeralism is true, then hooray! But as I have said before, the biblical case for it is weaker than Calvinism, which I do oppose.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:52 pm

Homer,

If you would like to read a better biblical case than what you have apparently encountered to UR, you might find "The Evangelical Universalist" helpful, by (pseudonym) Gregory MacDonald. I was more impressed by his biblical exegesis than I expected to be.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:45 am

As apparently the only "opponent" of UR who posts here any longer, I assume you include me, but you do so in error. I am not opposed to UR. I am opposed to false teaching that diminishes Jesus' many warnings. If univeralism is true, then hooray

Homer,
You might be the only opponent here right at this moment but you are with "orthodoxy" and still are, as the CU view is prohIbited on most Christian websites like Crosswalk.com or Matt Slick's website and others. As i mentioned before, Crosswalk banned me for even discussing the possibility. As far as you not being opposed to it, i respect you but i just find that denial a little difficult to believe based on the tone of your responses, but i'm sure you verbalize what you believe to be true.
Re Jesus many warnings, the warnings are all through the OT and Jesus continues these warnings of destruction, but the issue is whether destruction is the final result, as you know.
Also if you think that your "outer darkness eternally" punishment is more merciful then torture in literal fire, think about how a man ends up after being in solitary confinement in the dark. How long does it take before he goes completely insane beyond any rescue?

Return to “Views of Hell”