Any Hope?

DavidinWichita

Any Hope?

Post by DavidinWichita » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:11 am

This question is for Steve Gregg, although I welcome anyone else to post their answer supported with scriptures:

Q: Does the unbeliever who dies without Christ have any hope of repenting or salvation after death?

Thanks,
David in Wichita

steve

Re: Any Hope?

Post by steve » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:38 am

I have no specific biblical data to answer this question. Some take the silence as a negative. Others find it encouraging.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:24 am

This question is for Steve Gregg, although I welcome anyone else to post their answer supported with scriptures:

Q: Does the unbeliever who dies without Christ have any hope of repenting or salvation after death?

When all the dead are raised to judgment (John 5.29) the greek word used is "krisis" which in english has come to mean "crisis." Sometimes a crisis can turn out well and sometimes not but to me their is hope. If you follow the language after Rev 20 when unbelievers are tossed in the lake of fire IMO it alludes to possibilities culminating in Rev 22.17 in which it issues an invitation to any who thrist to drink rfrom the water of life. The Bride and the Spirit are issuing the invitation , but the only ones still left are unbelievers in the lake of fire if the sequence is chronological. If it is chronological to me there is no question who the invitation is to, if it is not chronological it still does not preclude this possibility.

DavidinWichita

Post by DavidinWichita » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:10 pm

steve wrote:I have no specific biblical data to answer this question. Some take the silence as a negative. Others find it encouraging.
Steve,
What about this verse?

1Th 4:13 Now we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve like the rest who have no hope.

Either Paul was saying:
(a) living unbelievers grieving for dead unbelievers are the ones who had no hope, or
(b) dead unbelievers had no hope

Under either scenario, Paul's point was that unbelievers had no hope, correct? If so, then how can you say there's no specific biblical data to answer the question?

David in Wichita, KS

Todd

Post by Todd » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:04 am

DavidinWichita wrote:1Th 4:13 Now we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve like the rest who have no hope.

Either Paul was saying:
(a) living unbelievers grieving for dead unbelievers are the ones who had no hope, or
(b) dead unbelievers had no hope
David,

The answer is (a), the living unbelievers had no hope for their dead. However, the reason they did not share in our hope is because they were ignorant of what Christ did for the world. It is NOT that there wasn't any hope for their dead, but they, having no knowledge of Christ, couldn't have the peace and confidence we have about our dead knowing that Christ died for them and will raise them again.
DavidinWichita wrote:Paul's point was that unbelievers had no hope, correct?
No, this is not correct. They indeed have hope in Christ, but the living unbelievers were ignorant. Paul was saying not to grieve (like those who don't understand) because we know that Christ will raise them again; we know that Christ has gained the victory over death.

Todd

DavidinWichita

Post by DavidinWichita » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:18 am

Todd,

So do you believe in universal reconciliation?

David

Todd

Post by Todd » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:55 pm

DavidinWichita wrote:Todd,

So do you believe in universal reconciliation?

David
Yes.

DavidinWichita

Post by DavidinWichita » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:03 pm

Can someone who doesn't believe in universal reconciliation please post an answer?

Thanks,
David

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:25 pm

David,

I will answer no and explain some of my reasons when I have time. I may be the only one posting here who will say no, or who believes the answer is no and has any interest in saying so. I believe the parable of the "unmerciful servant" is a clear "no" when understood as Jesus intended. More reasons to follow.

Blessings, Homer

DavidinWichita

Post by DavidinWichita » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:33 pm

Thanks Homer.

So you are answering "no" to my original question, correct? That dead unbelievers have no hope of salvation?

David

Return to “Views of Hell”