"Aionios" NEVER means "eternal"

_Paidion

"Aionios" NEVER means "eternal"

Post by _Paidion » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:31 pm

Aiōnios Never Means “Everlasting” or “Eternal”

This post is in response to Homer’s post in another thread where he stated
[The word “aiōnios”] is translated as “everlasting” or “eternal” in the vast majority of cases [where it is used as an adjective for the life of the saved in the hereafter], and can have no other meaning…”
I will attempt to lay out Homer’s argument as a logical argument with premises and conclusion.

Premises:
1.The Greek word “aiōnios” is used an adjective for the life of the saved in the hereafter.
2. In the vast majority of the cases where it is so used, it has been translated as “eternal” or “everlasting”
3. The life of the saved in the hereafter is eternal

Conclusion:
Therefore “aiōnios”, in the passages where it is used as an adjective for the life of the saved in the hereafter, it can have no meaning other than “eternal” or “everlasting.”

Is the argument valid? That is, does the conclusion follow logically from the premises? All the premises are true. Is the conclusion therefore necessarily true?

Suppose “aiōnios” where used “for the life of the saved in the hereafter” means “going from age to age”. Is there any reason to think that “ending” or “non-ending” is part of the meaning of the word? I think not. In Christ’s parable, the goats go into age-to-age punishment, and the sheep into age-to-age life. That which goes from age to age, may come to an end or it may not. There is nothing inherent in the meaning of the word “aiōnios” that indicates which it is.

The Greek word “aiōnios” is the adjectival form of the word “aiōn”. Interestingly enough, this word has come into our English language from the Greek as “aeon”. In most dictionaries you will find that the meaning of the word is given as “an indefinitely long period of time, an age”, not “eternity”. So, if the noun means “age”, why should the adjective mean “eternal”? But, of course, this is no proof that “aiōnios” does not mean “eternal.” For it might just happen that in Greek, the adjective has a different meaning from the noun from which it is derived. But that isn’t the case. Abbott-Smith’s Greek lexicon not only renders “aiōn” as “a space of time, an age”, but also “aiōnios” as “age-long”.

Some say that in Greek the word “aiōnios” is used for “eternal” because there is no other Greek word available for the concept. Not so. The true Greek word for “eternal” is “aidios.” It is used in the New Testament to refer to God’s “eternal power and deity.”

Let’s examine some passages which show that “eternal” or “for ever” is definitely ōan incorrect translation of “aiōnios”:

Let’s start with the Old Testament. In Hebrew, the word corresponding to “aiōnios” is “olam”. The Septuagint (a translation from Hebrew to Greek several hundred years before Christ) translates “olam” as “aiōnios” or “aiōnos” (which is also translated as “forever” in English Bibles). Here is a quote from Isaiah 32:14-15, Revised Standard Version:

For the palace will be forsaken, the populous city deserted; the hill and the watchtower will become dens for ever, a joy of wild asses, a pasture of flocks; until the Spirit is poured upon us from on high, and the wilderness becomes a fruitful field, and the fruitful field is deemed a forest.

If the area will be deserted, a useless wilderness for ever, how can there be an “until”?
Will there be a time after “forever”, when the Spirit is poured out and the wilderness becomes a fruitful field?

I would like to suggest the word “permanent” as a translation of “aiōnios” or “aiōnios” .
Having a permanent driver’s licence does not imply that it cannot be revoked, just that the driver will probably have it a lot longer than a temporary one. Having a permanent hair-do does not imply that it will always stay that way, but it will certainly last longer than other hair styles. Try the word “permanently” in the passage above, and it makes perfect sense.

Of course, “permanent” may not always be the best translation. For example:

Romans 16:25 Now to the One who is able to empower you in keeping with my gospel and the heralding of Jesus Christ, in accordance with the revelation of the secret which was kept hidden for age-long times...

The above is my personal translation. I tried to render it as literally as possible from the Greek. But what happens if we translate “aiōnios” as “eternal”?Let’s consider the ASV:

Now to him that is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which hath been kept in silence through times eternal...

Does it make sense? What would the expression “through times eternal” mean? You can never get “through” eternity! Besides, how can there be “eternal times”?
Some according to their concept of time, have said that eternity is “outside of time”. If that is true, the phrase “eternal times” is self-contradictory and thus meaningless.

But worse! Consider some other translations!

King James Version:

Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began
Now that’s quite a difference, isn’t it? There’s quite a difference between “through times eternal” and “since the world began”! Nothing eternal about “since the world began”! So has the KJV “scaled down “aiōnios” to mean something less than endless eternity? Obviously so!

Douay Version:
Now to him that is able to establish you, according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which was kept secret from eternity...

From eternity! How do you keep a secret from eternity? Where do you begin? Eternity has no beginning or end.

The RSV and the NRSV translate the phrase as “for long ages”. That’s an excellent translation. It’s the current way to express the literal “for age-long times”. The NIV has “for long ages past”. That’s good, too.

So many of these translators have used “aiōnios” to mean something less that “endless eternity”. So obviously, even in the same passage, there’s no agreement among Greek experts as whether or not to translate the word as “eternal.”

So how did the word “aiōnios” come to be translated as “eternal”

Jerome used both speculum and aeternus in the Latin Vulgate in translating “aiōnios” . 1200 years later, the King James translators simply followed the Vulgate in translating these words. Whenever the Vulgate used aeternus, the KJV translated as, “eternal”, and whenever the Vulgate said speculum, the KJV translated as “world.” So instead of translating Jesus’ words as “I will be with you to the end of the age”, the KJV translates “to the end of the world.”

One more example:
How long is Jesus going to reign in the Kingdom? We all know the words from the Hallelujah chorus from the Messiah, “And He shall reign for ever and ever.”

Probably this has been taken from Rev 11:15

Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign for ever and ever." RSV

But I Cor 15:25,28 shows us that He will not reign forever, but, “...He must reign until He has put all his enemies under his feet...When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subjected to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.”

Is this a contradiction? Only if one accepts the mistranslation of “eis tous aiōnas tōn aiōnōn” as meaning “for ever and ever.” It literally means “into the ages of the ages”.

In today’s English, we could render it, “for ages and ages”. Jesus will reign for ages, until all His enemies are under His feet, until all things are reconciled to Him, and then His reign (not His Kingdom) will end. The Kingdom will be turned over to the Father that God may be all in all. God cannot be in all, until all cease their rebellion and submit to Him.

The exact same phrase, is used in Rev 20, which states that the Beast and the False Prophet “will be tested day and night for ages and ages”. By the way, the Greek word “basanizō” comes from a root word that means a stone used for testing metals. That’s why I translated it as “tested” in this verse. I think that “tormented” or “tortured” is a mistranslation and implies vengeance rather than correction. As GMD said, “Hell is on our side.” God uses Gehenna remedially. God doesn’t torture anyone to correct them.... especially not for all eternity.

In conclusion, the Greek word has the meanings “permanent” and “going from age to age”. Whether or not the object or condition which it describes comes to an end, is not inherent in the meaning of the word.
Therefore it is misleading to translate the word “age-long” which seems to imply an end to the object or condition. It is equally misleading to translate the word “eternal” which implies that the object or condition is endless. Rather it ought to be translated by some English word such as “permanent” or “age-to-age” which implies neither ending or endless to the object of condition which it describes.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:01 am

Paidion,

Thanks for your reply and interest in this most important matter. I believe part of the problem we have with the words aion and aionios is the failure to account for the Hebrew concept regarding "this age" and "the age to come". To the Hebrews of Jesus' day, there were two ages, one temporal and one eternal. In reference to things of this age, aionios must necessarily be used in its common figurative sense of limited time, and in reference to things of the age to come the literal meaning of forever unless there is some necessity to translate otherwise.

It is my understanding that aion is compounded of aei, always, and oon, being, meaning always being. I realize that the meaning of the word may change and what is most important is what the person intended to convey.

I'm a slow typer, and even slower thinker :D. I beg your patience; I intend to fully respond to your post. For now I leave you some food for thought regarding the Hebrew concept of the two ages.

This is part of an article "The Two Ages" by Ben Smith:

"By the time we reach the New Testament texts, the two ages are firmly in place.

Matthew 12.32; Mark 3.28-29; Luke 12.10:

Και ος εαν ειπη λογον κατα του υιου του ανθρωπου, αφεθησεται αυτω, ος δ αν ειπη κατα του πνευματος του αγιου, ουκ αφεθησεται αυτω ουτε εν τουτω τω αιωνι ουτε εν τω μελλοντι.

And whoever should speak a word against the son of man, it shall be forgiven him, but, whoever should speak against the holy spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age nor in that to come.

Αμην λεγω υμιν οτι παντα αφεθησεται τοις υιοις των ανθρωπων, τα αμαρτηματα και αι βλασφημιαι οσα εαν βλασφημησωσιν, ος δ αν βλασφημηση εις το πνευμα το αγιον ουκ εχει αφεσιν εις τον αιωνα, αλλα ενοχος εστιν αιωνιου αμαρτηματος.

Amen, I say to you that all things shall be forgiven the sons of men, sins and as many blasphemies as they might blaspheme, but whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit has no forgiveness unto the age, but is accountable for an eternal sin.

Και πας ος ερει λογον εις τον υιον του ανθρωπου, αφεθησεται αυτω, τω δε εις το αγιον πνευμα βλασφημησαντι, ουκ αφεθησεται.

And everyone who will speak a word against the son of man, it shall be forgiven him, but, for him who blasphemes against the holy spirit, it shall not be forgiven.

Notice the three distinct ways of denying forgiveness to him who blasphemes the spirit. Matthew says that he has no forgiveness in this age or in the age to come. Mark says that he has no forgiveness unto the age, that is, he never has forgiveness (as most translations put it). Luke says that he will not be forgiven. All three are simply saying that eternity future will hold out no forgiveness for this kind of blasphemer.

Matthew 13.22; Mark 4.18-19; Luke 8.14:

Ο δε εις τας ακανθας σπαρεις, ουτος εστιν ο τον λογον ακουων, και η μεριμνα του αιωνος και η απατη του πλουτου συμπνιγει τον λογον, και ακαρπος γινεται.

And the one upon whom seed was sown among the thorns, this is the one who hears the word, and the care of the age and the misleading influence of riches choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.

Και αλλοι εισιν οι εις τας ακανθας σπειρομενοι. ουτοι εισιν οι τον λογον ακουσαντες, και αι μεριμναι του αιωνος και η απατη του πλουτου και αι περι τα λοιπα επιθυμιαι εισπορευομεναι συμπνιγουσιν τον λογον, και ακαρπος γινεται.

And others are those upon whom seed is sown among the thorns. These are the ones who heard the word, and the cares of the age and the misleading influence of riches and the desires for the rest go in and choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.

Το δε εις τας ακανθας πεσον, ουτοι εισιν οι ακουσαντες, και υπο μεριμνων και πλουτου και ηδονων του βιου πορευομενοι συμπνιγονται και ου τελεσφορουσιν.

And that which fell among the thorns, these are the ones who heard, and as they go they are choked by cares and riches and pleasures of life, and they do not bear mature fruit.

What Matthew and Mark call the care(s) of the age Luke simply calls cares. Why? Because this age is the one that has gone terribly wrong. The next is the age in which all will be set aright. The next age is free of such cares.

Matthew 19.29; Mark 10.29-30; Luke 18.29-30:

Και πας οστις αφηκεν οικιας η αδελφους η αδελφας η πατερα η μητερα η τεκνα η αγρους ενεκεν του ονοματος μου εκατονταπλασιονα λημψεται και ζωην αιωνιον κληρονομησει.

And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for the sake of my name shall receive a hundred times as much and shall inherit the life of the age.

Εφη ο Ιησους· Αμην λεγω υμιν, ουδεις εστιν ος αφηκεν οικιαν η αδελφους η αδελφας η μητερα η πατερα η τεκνα η αγρους ενεκεν εμου και ενεκεν του ευαγγελιου, εαν μη λαβη εκατονταπλασιονα νυν εν τω καιρω τουτω, οικιας και αδελφους και αδελφας και μητερας και τεκνα και αγρους μετα διωγμων, και εν τω αιωνι τω ερχομενω ζωην αιωνιον.

Jesus said: Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for the sake of me and for the sak of the gospel, except he receive a hundred times as much now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and fields with persecutions, and in the age to come the life of the age.

Ο δε ειπεν αυτοις· Αμην λεγω υμιν οτι ουδεις εστιν ος αφηκεν οικιαν η γυναικα η αδελφους η γονεις η τεκνα ενεκεν της βασιλειας του θεου ος ουχι μη λαβη πολλαπλασιονα εν τω καιρω τουτω, και εν τω αιωνι τω ερχομενω ζωην αιωνιον.

And he said to them: Amen, I say to you that there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God who shall not receive many times as much in this time, and in the age to come the life of the age.

Mark 10.30 and Luke 18.30 both set in contrast a period that they call this time and a period that they call the age to come. What, then, is this time? It is none other than the present age. We see this same phenomenon of calling the present age simply this time in the book of 4 Ezra.

Matthew 22.30; Mark 12.25; Luke 20.34-36:

Εν γαρ τη αναστασει ουτε γαμουσιν ουτε γαμιζονται, αλλ ως αγγελοι εν τω ουρανω εισιν.

For in the resurrection they neither marry nor give in marriage, but are as angels in heaven.

Οταν γαρ εκ νεκρων αναστωσιν, ουτε γαμουσιν ουτε γαμιζονται, αλλ εισιν ως αγγελοι εν τοις ουρανοις.

For when they rise from the dead they neither marry nor give in marriage, but are as angels in the heavens.

Και ειπεν αυτοις ο Ιησους· Οι υιοι του αιωνος τουτου γαμουσιν και γαμισκονται, οι δε καταξιωθεντες του αιωνος εκεινου τυχειν και της αναστασεως της εκ νεκρων ουτε γαμουσιν ουτε γαμιζονται, ουδε γαρ αποθανειν ετι δυνανται, ισαγγελοι γαρ εισιν, και υιοι εισιν θεου, της αναστασεως υιοι οντες.

And Jesus said to them: The sons of this age marry and give in marriage, but those deemed worthy to attain to that age and the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor give in marriage, for they are no longer able to die, for they are angellike, and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.

Neither Matthew nor Mark explicitly tell us what is happening to the ages at the resurrection of the dead. Luke makes the connection more explicit, perhaps with a gentile readership in mind. For he calls ordinary humans the sons of this age, but resurrected humans, he says, are those who have been considered worthy of the next age. These will not be raised unto eternal destruction and damnation. They are the worthy ones, raised up as full participants in the blessings of the age to come.

We find the two ages taught plainly in the Pauline writings, too, of course. The actual phrase the age to come is not as common as what one might expect, but the repeated mention of this present age makes a future age inevitable. Where there is a this there must at some point be a that. I begin with 2 Corinthians 4.4:

...εν οις ο θεος του αιωνος τουτου ετυφλωσεν τα νοηματα των απιστων εις το μη αυγασαι τον φωτισμον του ευαγγελιου της δοξης του Χριστου, ος εστιν εικων του θεου.

...in whom the god of this age blinded the minds of the faithless, so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Why is Satan called the god of this age? Because he will have no part in that age.

On to Pauline books of more debated authorship. Ephesians 1.20-21:

...ην ενηργησεν εν τω Χριστω εγειρας αυτον εκ νεκρων, και καθισας εν δεξια αυτου εν τοις επουρανιοις υπερανω πασης αρχης και εξουσιας και δυναμεως και κυριοτητος και παντος ονοματος ονομαζομενου, ου μονον εν τω αιωνι τουτω αλλα και εν τω μελλοντι.

...which he worked out in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenlies far above every rule and authority and power and lordship and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one about to come.

Jesus Christ will reign forever. That is, he will reign for the rest of the present age, and throughout the age to come, as well. The sum of both ages is eternity.

One of those phrases unique to the pastoral epistles is ο νυν αιων (literally the now age, but more gracefully translated the present age). As it happens, it occurs exactly once each in the three pastoral epistles. 1 Timothy 6.17a; 2 Timothy 4.10a; Titus 2.12b:

Τοις πλουσιοις εν τω νυν αιωνι παραγγελλε....

Instruct those who are rich in the present age....

Δημας γαρ με εγκατελιπεν αγαπησας τον νυν αιωνα....

For Demas deserted me, having loved the present age....

...και δικαιως και ευσεβως ζησωμεν εν τω νυν αιωνι.

...and that we might live righteous and godly in the present age.

In all three of these passages the great turnaround destined to take place in the coming age is implicit. Those rich in this age might not be so well off in the next. To love this age is to forsake the next. And it is necessary to live a godly life because the next age will bring reward or punishment on the basis of how we have lived in this age.

Hebrews 6.4-6:

Αδυνατον γαρ τους απαξ φωτισθεντας, γευσαμενους τε της δωρεας της επουρανιου και μετοχους γενηθεντας πνευματος αγιου και καλον γευσαμενους θεου ρημα δυναμεις τε μελλοντος αιωνος, και παραπεσοντας, παλιν ανακαινιζειν εις μετανοιαν ανασταυρουντας εαυτοις τον υιον του θεου και παραδειγματιζοντας.

For as for those who were once enlightened, having tasted of the heavenly gift and having been made partakers of the holy spirit and having tasted of the good word of God and the powers of the age about to come, and having fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance while they crucify for themselves the son of God and openly shame him.

The blessings of the age to come have started coming in early, according to this text. We can already taste of its powers in the holy spirit and in the word of God.

This survey is far from exhaustive. Suffice it to say that there is no writing in the whole of the New Testament that denies or detracts from the doctrine of the two ages. Every word on the topic serves to support the Jewish apocalyptic expectation that we have seen so far.

Finally, to round matters off, we may glance briefly at the concept of the two ages in 4 Ezra, which was probably written at about the turn of the first century. 4 Ezra 7.112-113:

Et respondit ad me et dixit: praesens saeculum non est finis, gloria in eo non frequens manet. propter hoc oraverunt qui potuerunt pro invalidis. dies enim iudicii erit finis temporis huius et initium futuri inmortalis temporis, in quo pertransivit corruptela.

He responded to me and said: The present age is not the end; the glory does not fully remain in it. On account of this those who were strong prayed for the weak. For the day of judgment shall be the end of this time and the beginning of the future immortal time, in which corruption has passed away.

As I demonstrate in part 3 of my piece on the ages in 4 Ezra, the present time and the future time correspond respectively to the present age and the future age, just as in Mark 10.30 and Luke 18.30. So it is here affirmed that the future age is immortal. Unlike this present age, it will never come to an end."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TextExcavation 2006, www.textexcavation.com.
Author and designer: Ben C. Smith.
File last modified 09/08/2006 20:14:42.
Reason:
A Berean

_Ely

Post by _Ely » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:37 am

Homer, that link wasn't working. Here's a working link:

http://www.textexcavation.com/twoages.html

Shalom
Ely
Reason:
"Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Christ Jesus" Titus 2:13
www.lasttrumpet.com
www.pfrs.org

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:08 pm

Ely,

Thanks very much! I hadn't noticed.

Blessings to you and everyone for the new year!

Homer
Reason:
A Berean

_Ely

Post by _Ely » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:13 pm

Homer wrote:Ely,

Thanks very much! I hadn't noticed.

Blessings to you and everyone for the new year!

Homer
You too brother
Reason:
"Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Christ Jesus" Titus 2:13
www.lasttrumpet.com
www.pfrs.org

_Father_of_five

Post by _Father_of_five » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:29 am

Here is a quote on this subject from The Inescapable Love of God, written by Thomas Talbott.
....when the letter of Jude describes the fire that consumed Sodom and Gomorrah as "eternal fire," the point is not that the fire literally burns forever without consuming the cities; it is not that the fire continues to burn even today. The point is that the fire is a form of devine judgment upon those cities, a foreshadowing of eschatological judgment, that has its causal source in the eternal God himself. And similarly for Jesus' reference to "eternal fire" in Matthew 25:41 and to "eternal punishment" in Matthew 25:46. The fire to which he alludes is not eternal in the sense that it burns forever without consuming anything - without consuming, for example, that which is false within a person (see 1 Corinthians 3:15) - and neither is the punishment eternal in the sense that it continues forever without accomplishing its corrective purpose. Both the fire and the punishment are eternal in the sense that they have their causal source in the eternal God himself. For anything that the eternal God does is eternal in the sense that it is the eternal God who does it.

Even as "eternal punishment" is that form of punishment that has its causal source in the eternal God, so "eternal life" is that mode of living that has its causal source in the eternal God. In the Gospel of John, we thus read: "And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent" (17:3). Here too, the emphasis is upon the special quality, not the duration, of a life in proper relationship with God.
Todd
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:29 pm

Thanks, FOF, for the quote from Thomas Talbott, professor of philosophy and religion. I have the book The Inescapable Love of God and have read it thoroughly. It uses many powerful philosophical arguments to support the truth of the reconciliation of all people to God.

One of a number of minor points with which I disagree with Talbott, is the one you quoted. I do not think that "aionios" life refers to a special quality of life rather than duration of life. I think it refers to a period of indeterminate duration, "going from age to age". This inderterminate period may be thousands or millions of years, or may continue "forever."
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:49 pm

Homer addressing Paidion:
Thanks for your reply and interest in this most important matter. I believe part of the problem we have with the words aion and aionios is the failure to account for the Hebrew concept regarding "this age" and "the age to come". To the Hebrews of Jesus' day, there were two ages, one temporal and one eternal. In reference to things of this age, aionios must necessarily be used in its common figurative sense of limited time, and in reference to things of the age to come the literal meaning of forever unless there is some necessity to translate otherwise.
The theory that there are only two ages, one in the past, and one in the future (which will continue indefinitely) seems to be contradicted by Scripture.

There are future ages (more than one):

Ephesians 2:7 …in order that he might show forth in the ages to come the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus…

There are past ages (more than one):

Ephesians 3:9 …and to bring to light the administration of the secret which was hidden for ages in God who created all things…

Colossians 1:26 … the secret which has been hidden from the ages and from the generations, but has now been shown to His saints…

There was a time before all ages:

1 Corinthians 2:7 but we speak God's wisdom which was hidden in secret, which God pre-appointed before the ages for our glory…

Past ages had their end or consummation with the coming of Christ:

1 Corinthians 10:11 Now these things symbolically happened to them, and were written for our instruction, for whom the ends of the ages have come.

Hebrews 9:26 Otherwise, He would have had to suffer often from the foundation of the universe; but now once at the consummation of the ages, He has been manifested for the abolition of sin through His sacrifice.

So when Jesus spoke of those who would have deliverance (or "forgiveness" if you will) from sin neither in this age nor in the age to come, He meant the age to come, not eternity.
Reason:
Paidion

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:57 pm

Paidion,

You said:
So when Jesus spoke of those who would have deliverance (or "forgiveness" if you will) from sin neither in this age nor in the age to come, He meant the age to come, not eternity.
Could you please inform us of what you know of this "age to come" that is not part of eternity? Not just AN age but THE age. I am ignorant about it (as with many things) :? .

When Jesus spoke of the cursed, "who will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life", Matthew 25:46, the statement is parallel, an antithesis. According to generally understood laws of language, statements on both sides of an antithesis are taken in the same extent of meaning. The substantives, punishment and life, are opposites while the adjectives are the same. One would not say antithetically "Joe is perfectly happy and Tom is imperfectly unhappy". This would not make sense.

A good example (there are others) of antithesis in scripture is "By a man came death; by a man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die; even so in Christ all shall be made alive." Notice "a man" is the same in each, and death and resurrection are exact opposites.

Unless I misunderstand you, you do not dispute that the statement is an antithesis, you take aionios punishment and aionios life to be both of an indeterminate period, neither one being eternal or forever. What happens to the saved when they come to the end of eternal life, or is it eternal probation?
Reason:
A Berean

_Father_of_five

Post by _Father_of_five » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:56 am

Jude 1:7
In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Homer,

In the Old Testament we read of the fire that rained down from heaven upon these cities and consumed them (Gen 19:24-25). Jude describes it as "eternal fire." Are we to understand then that this fire still burns today? Or should we understand that "eternal fire" is a form of divine punishment that describes not its duration but its source?

John 17:3
Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

When Jesus described "eternal life" as having the knowledge of the true God and of Jesus, are we to understand that He was referring to a duration of life or a certain quality of life that comes from knowing Him?

Todd
Reason:

Return to “Views of Hell”