Universalism and not inheriting the kingdom of God

__id_991

Post by __id_991 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:22 pm

James 2:12-13
12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!
Steve ~ Here it is in the King James Version text. To all of you, I am grateful for learning various viewpoints. I very recently left a fellowship that is listed as a suspected cult with the FBI. In this forum, I found a place where Christians can share views without reservation. I am saddened at the slight mud-slinging but perhaps it is because I am new and vulnerable in this larger Christian world.

Father of Five, I sincerely encourage you to keep writing and sharing. Thank you for being a mentor when I needed one. No doubt you show your children a gentle, peaceful way of life.

God's best to you all. . .and a Blessed New Year!
Ciara Jade
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:54 pm

I think we have hashed out these arguments enough and have now begun re-hashing the same things. I have made my case and you have made yours.

Everyone who has participated should be commended for rigorously defending his/her view. This is how it should be.

This is my last post on this thread.

My God truly bless each of you.
God bless you too brother!

In Him,
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:31 am

James 2:12-13
Quote:
12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

Steve ~ Here it is in the King James Version text. To all of you, I am grateful for

Ciara, Thanks for the reference and i stand corrected and i appreciate it. However i think James is referring to fellow believers about the subject of faith and works and the power of the tongue and mercy shown by believers.
That's not to say mercy is not a big part of God's charactor but so is judgement.
Btw how did you find this website?
Reason:

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:32 pm

I don't know if any of you can stand another word on this topic, but here it is :) .

"Mercy triumphs over judgement." "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy."

It is commonly believed that Christians are "justified", which is a forensic term. This would be more or less analogous to being found "not guilty" in one of our courts. If we stand before Christ on judgement day as justified, what need would we have for mercy? Perhaps the mercy spoken of is shown to those who never had a chance to hear of Jesus. There are some conservative Christians who think so. Or could it be followers of Jesus who have lapsed? I have long puzzled over this.

Blessings and Happy new year!
Reason:
A Berean

__id_991

Post by __id_991 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:11 pm

James is referring to fellow believers about the subject of faith and works and the power of the tongue and mercy shown by believers.
That's not to say mercy is not a big part of God's charactor but so is judgement.
Btw how did you find this website?
Hello Steve ~ I'm certain you are right. Your ideas make perfect sense with the context.

I found this forum by listening to Steve Gregg on Hank Hanegraff's radio program. When I visited Steve G's website, I clicked on "Bible Forum".

All the best for 2007!
cj
Reason:

__id_991

Post by __id_991 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:26 pm

It is commonly believed that Christians are "justified", which is a forensic term. This would be more or less analogous to being found "not guilty" in one of our courts. If we stand before Christ on judgement day as justified, what need would we have for mercy? Perhaps the mercy spoken of is shown to those who never had a chance to hear of Jesus. There are some conservative Christians who think so. Or could it be followers of Jesus who have lapsed? I have long puzzled over this.
Hi Homer. . . Your ideas makes sense to me. When a child, our preacher would say certain people groups are pagans without hope. What a tragic thought! I'm so thankful God loves all people. I hope His mercy stretches that far.

Blessed New Year,
cj
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:29 pm

All the best for 2007!
ening to Steve Gregg on Hank Hanegraff's radio program. When I visited Steve G's website, I clicked on "Bible Forum".

Best wishes to you also Ciara, I also found this site through Hanegraaff's show. You may want to check out Steve's archived radio shows and his lectures. They are awesome.
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:38 pm

Hi Homer. . . Your ideas makes sense to me. When a child, our preacher would say certain people groups are pagans without hope.
This reminded me of Ephesians 2:11-13

ph 2:11 Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called "the uncircumcision" by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by hands--
Eph 2:12 remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.
Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Perhaps there is a way to be reconciled to God through Christ after death, but the bible is silent on the issue as far as I can tell. The bible is clear that the only way to the Father is through Christ, and that without Him, there is no hope.

I wonder how a universalist would explain the fact that these gentiles in Ephesus were "without hope" before they were saved "by Grace through faith" (vs. 8).

I realize that most universalists see hell as remedial, but wouldn't that mean that these Ephesians did, in fact, have "hope"?

Just thinking. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

God bless,
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:57 pm

I realize that most universalists see hell as remedial, but wouldn't that mean that these Ephesians did, in fact, have "hope"?

I think it simply means UNTIL or before you are in Christ you have no hope, or to put it amother way, you are lost until you are found.
Reason:

_Father_of_five

Post by _Father_of_five » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:28 pm

Derek wrote:[I wonder how a universalist would explain the fact that these gentiles in Ephesus were "without hope" before they were saved "by Grace through faith" (vs. 8).
I know I said I was done posting, but since this is a new topic I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I have always read this verse another way. The verse says that these Gentiles were "strangers from the covenants of promise." The promise of God is for redemption and eternal life. These Gentiles had no knowledge of this hope. It doesn't mean that they had no access to it or that it didn't apply to them - just that they were ignorant of it. The same thing applies now for those who have no knowledge of the Gospel. They don't share in our hope because of ignorance. But Christ died for the whole world.

This is why believing is so important to salvation (in life) - because, through believing, we know that God has provided a Savior for us - and it gives us a great Hope. If you don't believe, you lose the benefit of this hope and how it can strengthen your spirit and encourage you to follow Christ who was sacrificed for you.

Many people think that believing is merely God's requirement - a prerequisite, if you will, to having a home in heaven. Not so! Believing is for OUR benefit, not God's.

Todd
Reason:

Return to “Views of Hell”