Universalism and not inheriting the kingdom of God

_Father_of_five

Post by _Father_of_five » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:13 pm

TK wrote:I just re-read Romans 1. i dont think it says that people living in sin are necessarily in "misery." it says they "receive in themselves the due penalty of their perversion" but i dont think they are necessarily conscious of this.
TK,

I am sure you are correct about this. People who are entangled in sin are not necessarily aware that they are subjects of God's wrath (per Romans 1). But it is still God's wrath; at least that's what Paul said it was. God wants something much better for mankind than to suffer through "the due penalty of their perversion." This is what I believe the Bible is referring to with such phrases as "perished" or "dead in sin" or "cast into the LOF" or "wallowing in the mire." When you compare this type of life to what Christ desires for us, I think it is not a stretch to say that they are miserable whether they know it or not.

Todd
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:22 pm

ciarajade wrote:
FOF, I am soaking up your words like a dry sponge. You put into words what I've felt in my spirit for a long time. . . I just didn't want to listen until now.
nice to have you here! for someone with your religious background, i can see how Todd's (FOF's) view is very attractive to you.

however, please proceed with caution! I think even Todd will agree that his view is in the extreme minority among evangelical christians. he believes his view is correct, and can support it admirably, although many of us feel that he is simply not correct. that's ok, because this is a discussion forum. but don't fall all over his view just because it sounds so nice. you really have to be careful about that.

again, welcome to the forum!

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

__id_991

Post by __id_991 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:09 pm

TK, your welcoming words are appreciated. Yes FOF's view is definitely not mainstream but it makes enough sense to me to seriously consider it. (Noah might have questioned the majority opinion.) I've been attending a Unity Church and have found many people whose core beliefs are similar to FOF's.

This is a fascinating discussion. . .

CJ
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:29 pm

Derek wrote:
The passage also says that they will suffer "everlasting destruction from His presence", but you think that they will have everlasting life in His presence (when they die). That's the exact opposite of all that "everlasting destruction from His presence" could mean, taken as figurative or literal.
The passage does not say "away from" His presence. I think it could be interpreted to mean "as a result of" His presence. In other words, the Lord will bring his punishment upon them. The words "everlasting destruction" could be taken figuratively to mean "severe punishment."
-Strongs
apo'
A primary particle; “off”, that is, away (from something near), in various senses (of place, time, or relation; literally or figuratively): - (X here-) after, ago, at, because of, before, by (the space of), for (-th), from, in, (out) of, off, (up-) on (-ce), since, with. In composition (as a prefix) it usually denotes separation, departure, cessation, completion, reversal, etc.

Thayer's Definition:
1) of separation
1a) of local separation, after verbs of motion from a place, i.e. of departing, of fleeing, ...
1b) of separation of a part from the whole
1b1) where of a whole some part is taken
1c) of any kind of separation of one thing from another by which the union or fellowship of the two is destroyed
1d) of a state of separation, that is of distance
1d1) physical, of distance of place
1d2) temporal, of distance of time

NASB Concordance:
apo; a prep. and a prim. particle; from, away from:

(ESV) They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might,

(NASB) These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

Many versions have "from" but I think the context makes these translations very likely (not that it isn't clear in the KJV). I am sure all of these people are biased by their eternal torment presuppositions or something, but either way the greek is clear, I think.

The words "everlasting destruction" could be taken figuratively to mean "severe punishment."
Do you think that all non Christians are being punished severly?
I do believe there is a universal event still yet in the future. This event is the second coming of Christ. What will happen on that Day?
Well... I think that Jesus will be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might, when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed...among other things.
We do know one thing for sure - "the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" (1 Cor 15:26). This means that, immeditately prior to the resurrection, Christ will have no more enemies except death itself.
Rev 20:14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
Rev 20:15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Do you believe that when death is destroyed here in the lake of fire, that "anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire" as well? By the way I don't take the fire literally, but I do take the concept of being destroyed in some way literally.
Rev 5:13
And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: "Blessing and honor and glory and power Be to Him who sits on the throne, And to the Lamb, forever and ever!"
Annihilationism does not conflict with this at all.

Couldn't Paul be saying, "just as those who are physically dead are freed from sin, those also who are dead in Christ through Baptism are freed also?" I think this is a possible interpretation. But let's pursue this thought a little further.....
No. I don't think that is what Paul is saying at all, as the context shows. He is speaking of death "in Christ" and "to sin". This is important, because Christ was ressurected. That is why being dieing "in Him" is beneficial.

Rom 6:5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.

What motivates people to sin? John said that it is, "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life" (1 John 2:16). So, when we die, aren't these sin motivators destroyed? And if, in our lifetime, God has seen to it that we reaped what we sowed and has punished us appropriately when we sinned, that someone could be freed from sin at death? I think it is not totally unreasonable to consider it this way.

I (as most others would) take flesh to be more than our physical bodies. For instance, my natural desire to eat is not bad, it is the perversion of it by sin that makes me want to overeat.

The "flesh" is dealt with by faith in what Christ did on the cross. Through the cross we have power to walk according to the Spirit instead of according to the flesh.

Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Paul didn't literally die on the cross, of course, but this is the death spoken of in the bible that "frees from sin". A death "like His".
think it is not totally unreasonable to consider it this way.
I respectfully disagree.

God bless,
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:33 pm

I think even Todd will agree that his view is in the extreme minority among evangelical christians.
I am curious Todd. Is there anyone else that you are aware of that believes what you believe? I have never heard of it before hearing it from you. This in itself does not make it wrong at all. Just curious.
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:40 pm

CiaraJade wrote:TK, your welcoming words are appreciated. Yes FOF's view is definitely not mainstream but it makes enough sense to me to seriously consider it. (Noah might have questioned the majority opinion.) I've been attending a Unity Church and have found many people whose core beliefs are similar to FOF's.

This is a fascinating discussion. . .

CJ
Hi CJ,

Welcome to the forum! I hope we can have some edifying dialogue with you here.

God bless,
Reason:
Derek

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:12 pm

Todd, et al,

Regarding Romans 1:22-32, see Galatians 5:16-21 where Paul gives a similar list of sins and concludes with a warning that "those who practice (present participle: keep on practicing) such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. This inheritance is fully realized after this life, and is eternal, Hebrews 9:15, 1 Peter 1:3-4. We have but a pledge of this inheritance now, Ephesians 1:11-14.

Those who persist, unrepentant, in the sins Paul listed do not participate in this inheritance in this life or in the life hereafter.
Reason:
A Berean

__id_991

Post by __id_991 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:49 pm

Hello Homer ~ Some Christians (including myself) will at times commit one or more of those listed sins perhaps without always being aware of having done so. (That 'selfish ambitions' one could step on many toes. . . happens on the hour in my busy household).

Is there a dividing line that must not be crossed? What if a Christian *almost* reached the line and yet another Christian *barely* crossed over the line? On Judgment Day, would the first be saved and the second be lost? Is there a 'sin saturation point'? Or does the Christian have a 'free pass' of sorts to enter in regardless of sin? I must find the truth on this most important matter of eternal destiny. I could more comfortably stay in my legalistic mindset because then at least I have the 'rules' spelled out. This truth journey could bring me back full-circle to where I began. But I hope not.

C. S. Lewis said in Mere Christianity,
"There are people who do not accept the full Christian doctrine about Christ but who are so strongly attracted by Him that they are His in a much deeper sense than they themselves understand. There are people in other religions who are being led by God's secret influence to concentrate on those parts of their religion which are in agreement with Christianity, and who thus belong to Christ without knowing it."
What are your thoughts on this?

I'm beginning to suspect these cracks to my comfortable foundation just might lead to a full-blown earthquake.

Peace,
CJ
Reason:

__id_991

Post by __id_991 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Thank you, Derek, for the welcome. I appreciate all of you for creating this thought-provoking thread.

God's blessings to you as well,
CJ
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:50 am

Hello Homer ~ Some Christians (including myself) will at times commit one or more of those listed sins perhaps without always being aware of having done so.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
Gal 5:21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

CJ,

Are you sure you commit these? I don't think these are your everyday household sins. Rembering of course that there is a difference between commiting one of these, (falling into), and doing such things on a continual basis, (living in them) as Homer said ("keep on practicing").
Reason:
Derek

Return to “Views of Hell”