If God is X, Y, or Z

TK

Re: If God is X, Y, or Z

Post by TK » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:39 am

However, for those who see it as meaningful, let me ask you this speculative question, "Would you still love and serve Him, if you discovered some day that Satan is the real God?
Or if when you finally stand before him he says with an evil laugh-- "Just kidding" and begins to tear you apart like a cruel child tears apart an insect.

I guess the bottom line philosophical question is whether a creator deserves worship on the sole basis of being creator, and nothing more.

TK

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:58 pm

Paidion wrote:That's exactly as I see it, Darin. I don't think it means much to ask, "Would you still believe in God (or serve God) if he turned out have the nature Muslims or Calvinists ascribe to Him? For since God doesn't have the character that either of those ascribe to Him, why speculate as to the unreality of it.
I don't think it's fair to equate Muslim belief with Calvinist belief. While Muslims reject Jesus as the Christ, the Redeemer, the Living King, Calvinists (at least my friends who are Calvinists) proclaim all this and also believe God is love. They just happen to emphasize God's sovereignty over man's free will. I am convinced that they are the Lord's, but perhaps you disagree. Perhaps you believe that they are so wrong in what they emphasize and so mischaracterize God's love so as to be outside the household of faith along with Muslims. If I understand your theology, Paidion, in the resurrection, they will be sent to hell for 'loving correction' for days, years, or ages...kind of like that loving natural father that "locked you in your room for days at a time."
Suppose your natural father loved you and raised you to be kind and loving, and he taught you how to be a disciple of Christ. As a youth, would you still have loved him and coöperated with him if he had began to beat you severely, and locked you in your room for days at a time? What difference does it make would you would have done under those circumstances since those actions were completely contrary to your father's nature. Thus the question is meaningless.
But what if your father was beating you severely on the back because, unbeknownst to you, your jacket had caught a spark and was now on fire? What if you were locked in your room to protect you from evil doers who sought to do you harm? I realize that now I'm drifting into the problem of evil and why God allows difficulties in our lives and that isn't exactly what we're discussing.

I think everyone in this discussion agrees that God loves us and that God loves us perfectly. I think that our responses are just nuanced differently. Some people seem to be sure that since God loves us, He would not do (nor perhaps allow?) W, Y, or Z. I am sure that God loves us, so that if He does, or allows, X, Y, or Z, it is in light of - and because of - His love, even though I don't understand.

Asking absurd questions like, "What if Satan is God and God is Satan?" or "What if he tears us limb from limb like a devious child?" make no sense. If Calvinism makes no more sense than this to you, then so be it. Again, I think it's unfair to Calvinists. I have met many Calvinists (and listened to several more who preach) who love Jesus, study the word and seek the Lord for guidance. To imagine that they are ignorant about the bible, or to imagine that they are being arrogant or purposefully deceptive is naive, I think. I happen to disagree with them, but I can't dismiss the fruit of the spirit in their lives or bring myself to say that they serve a different, monstrous God.
However, for those who see it as meaningful, let me ask you this speculative question, "Would you still love and serve Him, if you discovered some day that Satan is the real God? Perhaps you see now why I consider the question meaningless and irrelevant.
Okay, I still don't get what you're going to do. If God reveals himself after the resurrection to be something totally different than you expected, will you dismiss yourself to hell for your correction?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:04 pm

Calvinists (at least my friends who are Calvinists) proclaim all this and also believe God is love. They just happen to emphasize God's sovereignty over man's free will. I am convinced that they are the Lord's, but perhaps you disagree. Perhaps you believe that they are so wrong in what they emphasize and so

I know you directed your response to Paidion, Michelle but i don't think anyone suggested Calvinists are'nt saved and can't be true believers. However i think their system is a lot more the just emphasizing the sovereignty of God over man's freewill. Every Christian would support God's sovereignty , the question is regarding justice.
I can accept Calvinism if God is just , but if the great majority of people spend eternity in the torment of hell and it's all predestined , i can't find any justice in it.
You may think that's it's prideful of me to make this statement but since we are accountable to God for our actions it must be because we have been given an understanding of justice and mercy or else we would'nt be accountable for what we do with these commands.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:24 pm

steve7150 wrote:Calvinists (at least my friends who are Calvinists) proclaim all this and also believe God is love. They just happen to emphasize God's sovereignty over man's free will. I am convinced that they are the Lord's, but perhaps you disagree. Perhaps you believe that they are so wrong in what they emphasize and so

I know you directed your response to Paidion, Michelle but i don't think anyone suggested Calvinists are'nt saved and can't be true believers. However i think their system is a lot more the just emphasizing the sovereignty of God over man's freewill. Every Christian would support God's sovereignty , the question is regarding justice.
I can accept Calvinism if God is just , but if the great majority of people spend eternity in the torment of hell and it's all predestined , i can't find any justice in it.
You may think that's it's prideful of me to make this statement but since we are accountable to God for our actions it must be because we have been given an understanding of justice and mercy or else we would'nt be accountable for what we do with these commands.
Okay, Steve, regarding justice: what must God do in order to be just?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:34 pm

Thank you Steve 7150. You answered Michelle much as I would have. However, I would like to comment on a few of Michelle's statements:
Michelle wrote:Asking absurd questions like, "What if Satan is God and God is Satan?" or "What if he tears us limb from limb like a devious child?" make no sense. If Calvinism makes no more sense than this to you, then so be it. Again, I think it's unfair to Calvinists.
Actually, Calvinism makes less sense to me than that. Which would you rather? Be torn from limb to limb, or be sent to eternal torment in hell? I know many groups outside of Calvinism teach eternal torment, but one form of Calvinism teaches that some people have been predestined to spend eternity in heaven, but that a far greater number have been predestined to spend eternity in hell. If you are one of the latter, there's nothing you can do about it. Just live the rest of your days in abject fear, hoping to live as long as possible before your torture begins. Once it begins, your hope is gone. You are doomed, never, ever, to get any relief from your pain. You'll spend eternity suffering agonizing pain.
I have met many Calvinists (and listened to several more who preach) who love Jesus, study the word and seek the Lord for guidance.
So have I. I have met and befriended some of them. My closest neighbours away out in my remote area of Ontario were devout Christian Calvinists.
To imagine that they are ignorant about the bible, or to imagine that they are being arrogant or purposefully deceptive is naive, I think.
I have never imagined such. It's not Calvinists which I oppose; it is Calvinism.
I happen to disagree with them, but I can't dismiss the fruit of the spirit in their lives or bring myself to say that they serve a different, monstrous God.
I have never suggested they worship a different God. Nor do I think that Muslims worship a different God. "Allah" is simply the Arabian word for God. When Arabian Muslims become Christians, they continue to pray to "Allah" in their own language.

Though Calvinists and Muslims both worship the same God as the rest of us, they both hold a false view as to His character. I have been stating that it is unrealistic and meaningless to ask whether we will still love and serve God if we find out some day that His character turns out to be that depicted by the Calvinists, or the Muslims. We never will, since His character as revealed through Christ differs significantly from either. So why ask what we would do if His character turns out to be the way either of those groups understand it to be? It's a bit like asking, "How would you respond, if you discover some day that the earth is flat, rather than spherical?"
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Ah, I see. Paidion, I'm sorry I misrepresented what you were saying.

TK

Post by TK » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:02 pm

I think it would be fair to say that many people who are calvinists don't know it. For example, i think very few baptists, could state the 5 points much less explain what they mean. i went to a Baptist church for years that taught calvinism but i never heard the word calvinism used. I don't even remember hearing phrases like "perseverance of the saints" or "total depravity."

The reason I bring this up is that I don't think many people who go to "calvinist" churches really understand the finer (and more objectionable) points- like that God predestines certain people to an eternity in hell "just because" - it's not because of anything they did and they can't do anything about it. I think if people were confronted with this calvinistic "truth" they would likely find it offensive.

I honestly do not see how a reasonable person can believe such a thing- although apparently there are fair number of seemingly reasonable people who do.

TK

look2jesus

Post by look2jesus » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:43 pm

It seems to me that it's a lot like dispensationalism, in that if you're locked into a certain church that teaches it, all you are ever exposed to is that teaching and the proof texts associated with it, while, at the same time, if you do hear teaching about alternative views, it is never (perhaps a hyperbole) represented objectively, so alternative views come off seeming ridiculous or even heretical in some cases.
And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowlege and discernment...Philippians 1:9 ESV

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:50 am

Hebrews 11:6 (New King James Version)
6. But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Romans 10:9-10 (New King James Version)
9. that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Not being the sharpest tack in the box, and weak in exegesis and logic, I have been thinking that faith in God and our Lord Jesus is based on testimony concerning certain facts - things that the scriptures testify have happened. Real stuff, like God made the world and all that is in it, that Jesus is really God's Son and our Lord. Went to the cross to die for our sins, rose after three days, and is coming back to judge us all. That He is the rewarder of those who seek him. And we, if we are wise, will have a healthy fear respect of Him.

I have studied the bible and been sceptical of a lot of things like Calvinism, universalism, once saved - always saved, Jesus only, etc., etc. Many friends and good folks disagree with me. But I have never been sceptical, in all my studies, concerning the facts my faith is based on. If I keep studying and come to believe any of the other Christians' ideas were right and I was wrong I will not "curse God and die", or fall into unbelief. That thought never crosses my mind. I will still praise God. But I will stick to the facts and testimony. I guess that's where being perhaps too unsentimental has gotten me.

I have never thought to base my faith in God on my standards and opinions on what He ought to do in order to be fair and just, and when I read stuff in the scriptures that I do not understand concerning what God has done to certain people, and threatened to do, I do not try to explain it away, or find some way to make Him suitable to me. I am comfortable in the belief that whatever He has done or will do is righteous and just. Seems that God's responses to Job in the end of the Book of Job are good to keep in mind. But that's just me.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:19 am

If I keep studying and come to believe any of the other Christians' ideas were right and I was wrong I will not "curse God and die", or fall into unbelief. That thought never crosses my mind. I will still praise God. But I will stick to the facts and testimony. I guess that's where being perhaps too unsentimental has gotten me.

Just to be clear "if" something that appears to me to be grossly unjust turns out to be true i would not curse God, i did say i did'nt know how i could love God. The fact is if for example Calvinism were true , how could you not be grieved for your fellow man whom we are commanded to love like we love ourselves? Jesus grouped the two commands together "Love God" and "Love your neighbor" , i still can't see that if the great majority end up in eternal torment how the two commands work together, it just does'nt make sense to me , particulary the Calvinist system.

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”