4 questions concerning Calvinism...please help

Sean

Re: 4 questions concerning Calvinism...please help

Post by Sean » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:39 am

lee wrote:Steve and Homer, thanks for those thoughts. But, if God is omniscient, which I think we all agree on, then He chose to die needlessly for people He knew would reject Him. I think what is bothering me is the Calvinist idea of a 1 for 1 exchange between Jesus and the believer seemingly being the most "efficient" way of understanding the purpose of the death of Jesus. In other words, why would Jesus die for people He knew would reject Him anyway? His life is much more than a bronze serpent, although that parallel is enlightening.
Actually, I've never been to hung up on this point. Could it be that it so important because Calvinist say it is? All I'm saying is that there is some mystery involved as to exactly how the atonement works. I'm not sure I need to figure it out.

Anyway, I certainly can see how Jesus could have died for only those whom He foreknew (the elect). This is basically the same idea of "limited atonement" that the Calvinist proposes. Or, I could see merit in a view that says Jesus died for all sins but if He is rejected the forgiveness is revoked. That would seem to be similar to what Jesus teaches here:

Mat 18:23 Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants.
Mat 18:24 And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents.
Mat 18:25 But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made.
Mat 18:26 The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, 'Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.'
Mat 18:27 Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.
Mat 18:28 "But that servant went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and he laid hands on him and took him by the throat, saying, 'Pay me what you owe!'
Mat 18:29 So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.'
Mat 18:30 And he would not, but went and threw him into prison till he should pay the debt.
Mat 18:31 So when his fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their master all that had been done.
Mat 18:32 Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me.
Mat 18:33 Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?'
Mat 18:34 And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.
Mat 18:35 "So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses."

When Jesus said His heavenly Father will do this to each of us if we do not forgive seems to mean the forgiveness in Christ can be revoked. Why could this not also happen with all people? Their sins are forgiven even before birth. But if they reject the grace God has shown they have their forgiveness revoked and are handed over to the torturers.

I'm not sure how it all works.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

lee

Post by lee » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:30 am

Good point! I honestly don't know why it would be important for Jesus to die only for the elect, especially when he you take into consider the fact that if he purchased the world with His blood then he has the right to seperate the wheat from the tares and the sheep from the goats.

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:46 am

lee wrote:Steve and Homer, thanks for those thoughts. But, if God is omniscient, which I think we all agree on, then He chose to die needlessly for people He knew would reject Him. I think what is bothering me is the Calvinist idea of a 1 for 1 exchange between Jesus and the believer seemingly being the most "efficient" way of understanding the purpose of the death of Jesus. In other words, why would Jesus die for people He knew would reject Him anyway? His life is much more than a bronze serpent, although that parallel is enlightening.
It seems to me this question would be valid only if Jesus had to die separately & repeatedly for each individual ever born on earth. But He only had to die once - and if it was necessary to do so to accomplish redemption, how could Jesus' death be regarded as needless, or wasted, no matter how few repented, as long as some did?

I think I agree that there is definitely some mystery as to how exactly the atonement works, and that it isn't necessary for us to understand the finer details, (especially since they haven't been supplied for us).
Suzana

lee

Post by lee » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:59 am

Well thanks folks. This discussion shed a lot more light on the subject for me at least...

lee

Post by lee » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Ok, well I've been thinking about this again. Now the discussion concerning those previous questions has resolved the difficulty I was having concerning these things. But, this brings up another point that I know has probably been discussed countless times. Calvinists state that nothing is outside of God's control, even the salvation of the elect and the damnation of the non-elect. His decision concerning who is saved and who is not is entirely up to Him, and is just and good. Therefore, the sin and evil that causes an individual to be damned serves a purpose, just as his/her damnation serves a purpose, namely, to bring justice to the sinner. In the non-Calvinist view, I have a hard time reconciling the fact that nobody can be saved but by the name of Jesus, yet countless individuals have never even heard the gospel. How is this any different from Calvinism's elect and non-elect situation, if God has the power to cause all people to hear the gospel, yet holds out on them, so to speak???

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:03 pm

lee wrote:In the non-Calvinist view, I have a hard time reconciling the fact that nobody can be saved but by the name of Jesus, yet countless individuals have never even heard the gospel. How is this any different from Calvinism's elect and non-elect situation, if God has the power to cause all people to hear the gospel, yet holds out on them, so to speak???
Lee, (while you await responses), this question was actually touched on today’s TNP radio program, in Steve’s reply to a question by Michael, towards the end of the show in the last 20 mins or so.
(I won’t try & state what was said as I wouldn’t do it justice).
Suzana

lee

Post by lee » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Thanks. I listened to the program, but I don't think the discussion addressed this issue in a conclusive way. Any ideas?

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:06 am

lee wrote:Thanks. I listened to the program, but I don't think the discussion addressed this issue in a conclusive way. Any ideas?
Steve talked about the issue again, I think on Monday's show. I did type out a response but decided not to post it because no one knows the answer. God is going to judge everyone according to what they have done. It's just that simple. I don't think God is going to send people to hell because they didn't have opportunity to hear the gospel. If that were the case then all those in the old testament era would end up in the lake of fire. I don't get to worked up about this issue because thankfully it's not my job to judge those out in the world. That's God's job.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:01 am

Basically, the idea is that He died for all of them and that they all have opportunity in the same way Romans tells us they are all without excuse. Whatever light they have, they are responsible for, and if they have some notion of God and submit themselves to pleasing Him then God will save them -- yes, on the basis of what Christ has done, but not necessarily with explicit knowledge of what He did. Those who "have" heard of Christ and reject Him probably don't fit this category. Also, this doesn't relieve us of the obligation to spread the Gospel since it's commanded by God and because God's will we serve is not to get folks in heaven (though He will do), but to have His name and His love spread throughout the world and to have His will which is already done in heaven to be done on earth. Without a specific knowledge of Christ, and a filling of the Holy Spirit, they will lack the assurance of salvation and may lack a new birth to be saved now from their sinfulness, but that's a different situation. They may even serve a different role in the New Earth, and may be ruled over by Christians (someone has to do it), but we don't know much in this area and we must fill in places where the bible is silent based on the character of God and certain things that only make sense in this context.

lee

Post by lee » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:02 am

Awesome responses. I used to understand things in this way, but it was not based upon any scripture specifically, but more upon philosophical assumptions. After listening to Calvinists, I started to be pursuaded to the 5 points especially concerning the 1to1 salvation idea (particular redemption) and the mediation of Jesus on humans' behalfs. However, I never have seen a particular scripture specifically say that a person that does not believe will go to hell, whereas I do know of scripture that states that those rejecting Christ will be rejected. The only place that I can think of that discusses the non-believer going to hell is at the close of Mark, which we now know is an interpolation.

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”