Losing Salvation

psimmond

Re: Losing Salvation

Post by psimmond » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:43 pm

mattrose wrote: So there are likely people on this planet right now filled with the Holy Spirit who aren't part of God's elect? That seems like a strange belief to me.
It seems a bit strange to me as well, but it's what I currently believe based on my studies.

It seems you don't think someone could be filled with the Holy Spirit for a time and then later have the Spirit depart as a result of their choices (and I think most Christians would agree with you), but I'm having a hard time understanding how this distinction between primary and secondary election affects anything I wrote.

Practically, how does viewing election as "PRIMARILY corporate and only secondarily individualistic" make more sense? (I'm not disagreeing with what you said, in fact I agree completely that "We are elect in the Son. Anyone in Christ is elect by connection to Christ, the Elect One. They are elected individuals on account of their corporate connections. If they become apostate they are no longer part of the right corporation and, therefore, forfeit their individual status as elect as well.")
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Return to “Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism”