Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies. Verse Tool: show

"The Lord directs his steps"

Postby Clint » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:33 am

In Proverbs 16:9, at face value, it seems to say that God controls a persons life. How would a nonCalvinist respond to this? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clint

Re:

Postby steve » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:55 pm

There is a contrast between the planning and the execution of the plan. Man proposes; God disposes.

Man makes his plans, says the proverb, but what actually ends up happening is up to God. It is similar to the first verse of the chapter.

The interesting thing, with reference to the Calvinism debate, is not that God controls outcomes, but that these verses say that the preparations and plans of the heart are in man's power. This is a challenge to the Calvinist position, which makes the preparations of the heart a matter of God's meticulous providence. The proverb distinguishes between man's prerogative (the preparation and the planning), on the one hand, and God's prerogative (the outcome) on the other. Calvinism makes both of these God's prerogative.
steve

Re:

Postby Clint » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:45 pm

steve wrote:There is a contrast between the planning and the execution of the plan. Man proposes; God disposes.

Man makes his plans, says the proverb, but what actually ends up happening is up to God. It is similar to the first verse of the chapter.

The interesting thing, with reference to the Calvinism debate, is not that God controls outcomes, but that these verses say that the preparations and plans of the heart are in man's power. This is a challenge to the Calvinist position, which makes the preparations of the heart a matter of God's meticulous providence. The proverb distinguishes between man's prerogative (the preparation and the planning), on the one hand, and God's prerogative (the outcome) on the other. Calvinism makes both of these God's prerogative.

Clint

Postby Clint » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Great point, I didn't think of that! Thank you for your input, Steve!

Clint

Return to Calvinism, Arminianism & Open Theism