Did God Approve of Polygamy?

crgfstr1

Re: Did God Approve of Polygamy?

Post by crgfstr1 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:55 pm

morbo3000 wrote: How can you know that? We are trying to look back at civilization 4000+ years ago. You are doing so through the lens of Jesus 2000 years ago. Jesus lived in a very specific time, so his teachings have context that cannot be so easily ripped out of wholesale and dropped into 2016. Also, his words in this passage are descriptive, and inside a specific context. Not prescriptive, nor broad.
Because we know that this is how society handled it. You claimed it was God's social welfare program. I see no where that he set this program up. He did allow for it to happen of course, but that doesn't make it his plan. You stated it is God's plan. I am stating we don't know that. We only know he allowed it. Since Jesus changed it I believe that means it wasn't God's plan but society's. Otherwise why would he change it when God doesn't change.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:00 pm

I stand corrected. The Bible is silent on why polygamy is not forbidden, and why it is the example for many of the patriarchs.

Show me the verse where Jesus directly stated that polygamy was forbidden, or not in God's plan. You can show me that Jesus describes marriage. But you can't show me that the description is a prescription.

I know you can't show me where the Bible says it is forbidden because conservative scholars are in agreement on this. It's neither a new question nor new terrain.

Again. I'm not attempting to legitimize polygamy. I'm saying you are overstating. When we draw inductive conclusions we always run the risk of founding a new oral law based on Jesus' teachings. It was a mistake for the Jews to do it with the Torah. And it is a mistake for us to do it with the New Testament.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Did God approve of polygamy? I would say, yes.

As I've said before, sexual morality (which is related to polygamy) is strange. It doesn't seem to be grounded in God's nature (other than adultery, perhaps), and God appears to be flexible on it. Incest was apparently approved of as well at one time, if you believe that A&E were the first and only human beings.

I think it's more a matter of our design and what is best for us, which God knows best, and so it's best for us, and we should do what He says (by way of Jesus, His apostles, and His Spirit in us).
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:16 pm

It is my belief that the Apostles were inspired by the Holy Spirit to speak authoritatively for our Lord, and that He appointed them as His spokesmen. What the apostles taught regarding marriage is to be obeyed just as we obey Jesus' teachings.

I said that to say this - I believe the Apostle Paul put the issue to rest:

1 Corinthians 7, New American Standard Bible (NASB)

1. Now concerning the things about which you wrote, it is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2. But because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband. 3. The husband must fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4. The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

One husband, one wife, each having exclusive authority (Grk. exousia) over the body of the other. Polygamy makes nonsense of Paul's words.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:45 pm

If that was at all addressed to me, Homer, I agree with you. Multiple marriages would seem to be forbidden now. My point is that it appears that God approved of it (i.e., allowed it) at one time (though I could be wrong), but He does not approve of (i.e., allow) it now. (Keeping in mind that a great many Christians would say the same thing about incest.)

Would God have approved of it if it was hateful to HIm? If God had designed us for multiple marriages, would that somehow go against His character or nature? I don't see how. Perhaps it has to do with what is healthiest and best for us, men and women and society, at different times.

... but this is just fun talk. I agree that polygamy should not be practiced. That's fine with me.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “The Pentateuch”