Genesis -- Young vs. Old Earth

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:32 pm

in regard to dinosaurs-- wouldnt something that major at least be mentioned once in the bible, other than a cryptic possibility? i mean, if noah had to fend off the ark from marauding brachiosauruses, it might warrant a mention.
Hey TK,

Perhaps dinosaurs were as common as anything else to him, and not in need of a special mention to his mind. The bible dosen't mention a lot of animals, this doesn't mean that they weren't on the ark.

As to the braciosaurus, I think that's a plant eater anyway. Maybe you were kidding.

I don't feel the need to see a dinosaur necessarilly in the Job or Isaiah passages. They could easily be included in "every creeping thing that creeps on the earth" to me (Gen 7:14).
Last edited by _AlexRodriguez on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:52 pm

...scripture does allow for interpreting creation days (yom) as not 24 hour days. Even Moses in Psalm 90 says a day to God is not 24 hours. And the Ex 20.11 can be a symbolism or type of the creation picture given to man to emulate.
We've been over this before, so needless to say, I haven't heard an explanation yet that is not stretching what the scriptures say.

As for Psalm 90.
Psa 90:4 For a thousand years in Your sight Are like yesterday when it passes by, Or as a watch in the night

We have the word "like" here (as in Peter), which shows that this is figurative. This is a lot different than the creation narratives.

Just because day is used figurativly here and elsewhere in the bible, does not give us license to say that it is figurative everywhere else. No more than the mention of a literal day gives license to say that they are all literal days. We have to interpret each passage in it's context.
And the Ex 20.11 can be a symbolism or type of the creation picture given to man to emulate.
Exo 20:9 "Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
Exo 20:10 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you.
Exo 20:11 "For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

God clearly puts the creation days in direct contrast to the days of the work week. The context of this passage does not allow for millions/billions of years no matter how yom is used elsewhere. No one that I am aware of understood it this way before evolutionary thought and it's counterparts became scientific dogma (again not that I'm aware of).
The Old Earth position is not necessarily connected to evolution unless someone wants it to be but it need not be connected.
It may not be exactly connected, but the fact is, that the idea came from evolutionary thought, and not from the scriptures. There is no way that this can be taken from the scripture. It has to be put in in the scriptures.

I am an amellinalist, and have no problem spiritualizing poetry, prophecy, and apocaliyptic passages. I have no problem interpreting the word day figurativly when the context calls for it. But to hold the Old Earth position you have to interpret the Historical Narrative portions in an unnatural way, that was clearly not meant by the authors.

It is the Old Earth position its self, and not the context, of the creation narratives and in Ex. 20, that calls for a non literal interpretation of yom.

God bless!
Last edited by _AlexRodriguez on Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.

_TK

Post by _TK » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:53 am

yeah-- i was kind of kidding about the brachiosaurus-- i guess t-rex would have been a better example.

but it is not just the bible that doesnt mention dino's'; i am unaware of ANY other writing that references them (unless you want to count dragons). one could state that there were no dinos in civilized areas, but this doesnt make much sense to me. if there were dinos on the ark, they should have multiplied in the region of the ark, i.e. turkey and the surrounding environs.

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:09 pm

it is not just the bible that doesnt mention dino's'; i am unaware of ANY other writing that references them (unless you want to count dragons).
I would count dragons.

God bless bro,
Last edited by _AlexRodriguez on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Derek

Return to “The Pentateuch”