Transliteration of Upsilon

Homer

Transliteration of Upsilon

Post by Homer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:26 pm

What rule or rules are most useful to determine whether upsilon has the U or Y sound in Koine Greek?

Paidion

Re: Transliteration of Upsilon

Post by Paidion » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:40 pm

Hi Homer, you wrote:What rule or rules are most useful to determine whether upsilon has the U or Y sound in Koine Greek?
The Greek vowel is known as "upsilon" (usually pronounced "oopsilon" with the "oo" sound as in "look") This Greek vowel is "υ" and looks a lot like a "u" in Latin characters. For some reason unknown to me, it is generally transliterated as a "y" in English.

In 2 Corinthians 6:1, we read in the ESV, "Working together with him, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain." The Greek word for "working together" is "συνεργουντεντες." This is transliterated as "synergountes" It seems that since the second upsilon forms the diphthong "ου" (pronounced "ou" as in "group," it is transliterated as a "u" instead of a "y."

Thus the English word "synergy" is derived from the Greek word. You and I are synergists since we believe we need to coöperate with the grace of God in order for it to be effective. But the Calvinists are monergists, believing that God does everything alone for the salvation of the elect, thrusting his "unmerited favour" on all those chosen to spend eternity with Him in heaven, and that they have nothing at all to do with their salvation.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:47 am

Homer wrote:What rule or rules are most useful to determine whether upsilon has the U or Y sound in Koine Greek?
In Koine, it doesn't ever have a Y sound as far as I know. It is either "oo" in Erasmian or "ee" in Modern/Reconstructed.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:02 pm

dizerner wrote:In Koine, it doesn't ever have a Y sound as far as I know.
That is correct. In Koine Greek it never has a "Y sound" but it is transliterated into English as the vowel "y" unless it is combined with the vowel omicron (ο) to form the diphthong "ου" in which case this diphthong is transliterated into English as "ou".

In English, we usually pronounce it as a short "i" as, for example, in "myth" (from the Greek "μυθος").
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:14 pm

Paidion and Dizerner,

Thanks for the replies. A year or so ago I purchased Kittle's ten volume Theological dictionary at a local bookstore (30 miles), Windows Booksellers. I got a nice used set for under $60, discounted because they had several sets in stock. When I got home I quickly realized I had to learn the Greek alphabet or the set would be impractical, so I have done so, and now am learning to read the words. Anyway, it is confusing when using other sources that have only transliterated words.

By the way, Windows Booksellers is on the internet. I discovered them when I bought a book on ebay and they sent a note informing me they are nearby. They stock about 30,000 books, all Christian and philosophy, and have another store in Portland. They are a very good source for used, rare, and out of print books.

Return to “General Questions”