The death penalty, society, and the new covenant.

JacobMartinMertens

Re: The death penalty, society, and the new covenant.

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Sun May 08, 2016 10:22 am

Homer wrote:Jacob,

Which parts of The Law of Moses do you keep and how do you decide? Neither Jesus nor the Apostles separated the law into ceremonial, moral, legal, etc. It all stands or falls together. Didn't Paul say that if you are circumcised you must keep all of the law?

Those who think the LOM is still in effect do not strictly keep the Sabbath:

Exodus 16:29 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

29. See, the Lord has given you the sabbath; therefore He gives you bread for two days on the sixth day. Remain every man in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.”

If the law is still in effect, how do those who go to church on the Sabbath keep it? Shouldn't they all stay home?

Didn't God destroy the temple for good in 70AD and as Jesus prophesied and put an end to the LOM system for good? When you read 2 Corinthians 3 doesn't it indicate the LOM is finished?
There is the old covenant and there is the new covenant. Thus far I am speaking of the Law of Moses as God's Law.

Moses is read in synagogues on the Sabbath. Otherwise Sabbath observers are in general at home. It is not a day for work.

I am circumcised. I see no problem with obeying God's commands found in the Law.
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

MMathis

Post by MMathis » Wed May 11, 2016 1:58 pm

jaydam wrote:
In other words, the death penalty exists for the believer in as much as the civil jurisdiction they live within has one.
Why is this hard for some to accept?

In 1977 a girl friend of mine was raped and stabbed to death. It took 17 years to carry out the death sentence, I actually wrote a letter to
the state of Nebraska and offered to make a donation of $20,000 to be the one to flip the switch. I would have done it without blinking an eye.
I never heard back from them, and in 1994 a state employee had the honor.

There was a ridiculous program special on a major network, of the effort put forth by his atty to save his life. Luckily he failed.
His argument was that Nebraska couldn't kill the person that committed the crime, as he no longer existed.

Sorry for the rant.
Last edited by MMathis on Wed May 11, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Wed May 11, 2016 3:37 pm

MMathis wrote: His argument was that Nebraska couldn't kill the person that committed the crime, as he no longer existed.

Sorry for the rant.
what a lame argument lol

Return to “General Questions”