The Flood

dwight92070

Re: The Flood

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:26 pm

njd83,

You quote a lot of extra-Biblical books to support your theory about what the Bible is telling us in Genesis 6. I believe some of those can be useful at times, but the main proof text should be the Bible itself. Many times, the extra-Biblical books contradict the truth of scripture, and therefore should be ignored.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:42 pm

dwight92070 wrote:Mattrose,

I thought your 2 "www" offerings were going to be about Steve Gregg's critique of "the flood was to destroy the half-angels" theory, but instead they both go to your teachings, with no mention of Steve's teaching.
No, those 2 "www" links at the bottom of the post are just my 'signature' on this site. They are at the bottom of every one of my posts. Some posters have these 'signatures' (it's one of the options).

I didn't have enough time to type out Steve's contextual arguments for interpreting the flood as God's judgment of humanity (and not angel half-breeds). It would also be next to impossible to find that specific call in the archives. I just thought I'd mention it because it came to mind.

njd83

Post by njd83 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:39 pm

dwight92070 wrote:njd83,

You quote a lot of extra-Biblical books to support your theory about what the Bible is telling us in Genesis 6. I believe some of those can be useful at times, but the main proof text should be the Bible itself. Many times, the extra-Biblical books contradict the truth of scripture, and therefore should be ignored.
I mean I understand the argument. I'm not sure where it originated. Probably early church: that only certain books are valid. But the problem is more complicated than that because our own bible was put together by men after the apostles. Actually there are books not in our bible that were read and approved by the early church, Jews or apostles: Book of Enoch is found in some Septuagints and was quoted by Jude. Shepherd of Hermas, Wisdom of Solomon and Apocalypse of Peter were approved in the Muratorian Canon (early church) as valid true books or scripture. The Book of Jasher/Jashar is referenced to in the Old Testament scripture. And other books like Josephus, a historian, or Jubilees, a historical book, match up consistently with certain interpretations, interpretations which were accepted as valid by the early church (like angels cohabitating with human women, Genesis 6).

I downloaded the list of references in the new testament to apocryphal books by Heiser. I started to realize the New Testament was referencing books outside our canon when I started to enjoy reading the Wisdom of Solomon and realized Paul sounded a lot like that book at times, as if he was familiar with it as scripture.

If you want a biblical argument I could argue this. But keep in mind I don't really have an agenda. I would like to think I just want the facts and I will accept whatever they are.

“And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day, just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.” (Jude 6–7, NASB95)
Isn't the comparison here between the types of immorality the sodomites and angles indulged in? Strange flesh? Sons of God(angels) with Daughters of Men compared with Men going after Men, strange flesh?

Return to “History”