Literally 6 Days

dwight92070

Re: Literally 6 Days

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:37 pm

[quote="TK"]Dwight it has been pointed out that the very style of Gen 1, because it is so different from the rest of the book, is an indicator to some that something is different about this chapter. It reads like a poem, for lack of a better word.

Dwight: I don't think that either of us want to get bogged down in details, but you and others have said this many times, so I must ask you for details in how Gen 1 is different. I have yet to hear exactly what you (or others) mean when you say Gen 1 is a different style. How, exactly, is it like a poem?

When you get into the stories of Abraham and his sons it reads like history.

I am certainly not saying that because Gen 1 reads like it does then it can’t be literal.

Dwight: So you at least acknowledge that it can be literal.

But lots of folks believe it reads like that

Dwight: like what?

because it is communicating huge truths in a non literal fashion.

Dwight: You have already acknowledged that these huge truths could be communicated in a literal fashion.

After all, how could you explain the creation of the space time continuum and quantum mechanics to a people who had no concept of the true nature of the universe?

Dwight: The Bible makes no attempt to explain God's creative power, nor does it seek to cloak it in symbolism.

TK

Post by TK » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:28 am

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/s ... a.amp.html

From the article:

On Sept. 20, 2016, Victor Buso, an amateur astronomer in Rosario, Argentina, was checking out the new camera on his telescope by taking pictures of a nearby spiral galaxy when a star within it went off in a supernova explosion.

Within hours, and prompted by Mr. Buso’s good fortune, professional astronomers around the world trained their big telescopes on the galaxy, known as NGC 613, about 80 million light-years from here in the constellation Sculptor. It was a rare instance in which astronomers were able to see the beginning of a supernova, when one of the most massive stars in the universe ends its life in one of the most violent events nature can cook up.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:37 pm

TK,

Why would you post that information under this topic?

TK

Post by TK » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:18 am

Its just one of the fairly regular astronomy discoveries which document something that happened eons ago- in this case 80 millions years ago. The amateur caught the supernova happening- but not really. He discovered the light of something that left the original explosion 80 millions years ago and is just now arriving at earth.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:51 am

TK wrote:Its just one of the fairly regular astronomy discoveries which document something that happened eons ago- in this case 80 millions years ago. The amateur caught the supernova happening- but not really. He discovered the light of something that left the original explosion 80 millions years ago and is just now arriving at earth.
Dwight: Man cannot even accurately predict the weather 24 hours from now, and yet we are supposed to believe that he knows what happened 80 million years ago? I think man needs to make a list of how many of God's questions to Job, in Job 38-41, he can answer today. I think I know exactly how many - zero. To claim that we know what happened when we see the light of a star 80 million light years away and then, suddenly, it goes out, is IMO, preposterous. When will man be able to say, "I really don't know."?

TK

Post by TK » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:03 pm

Hey Dwight- not sure if I understand your post. Obviously if the supernova star really is from a galaxy 80 millions light years away the universe could not be only 6 or 7000 years old.

Sure, a person might argue that the supernova never really happened and God just created the light from a pretend supernova which is what we are seeing. Or a person could argue the speed of light was faster a while back.

I just believe that the supernova really happened eons ago a long way off and we are just seeing the light from it now.

Remember that a supernova is the end of a stars life. This process takes billions of years. Young stars don’t go supernova.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:33 pm

TK wrote:Hey Dwight- not sure if I understand your post. Obviously if the supernova star really is from a galaxy 80 millions light years away the universe could not be only 6 or 7000 years old.

Dwight: Unless God first made the stars so that their light would be seen instantaneously from the earth from the exact second of their creation. Just like the Sabbath Day, the stars were made for man, man was not made for the stars. Their light was to "serve" mankind, not the other way around. God was not going to wait 80,000,000 years after Adam and Eve were created to give them the benefit of that star's light. Nor did He create that star 80,000,000 years before He created Adam and Eve, because the Bible tells us that "from the beginning of creation He created them male and female". The stars were created just 2 days earlier.

Sure, a person might argue that the supernova never really happened and God just created the light from a pretend supernova which is what we are seeing. Or a person could argue the speed of light was faster a while back.

Dwight: Or it's possible that supernova's don't even happen, that there is no such thing as a star's last evolutionary stage, culminating in one giant explosion. What astronomers are seeing may not be that at all. It could be God testing man to see if he will take Him at His word vs. theories about how Genesis cannot be literal because of what he just saw in his telescope.

I just believe that the supernova really happened eons ago a long way off and we are just seeing the light from it now.

Dwight: That is a theory, which, IMO, contradicts the plain statements in Genesis about the age of the earth.

Remember that a supernova is the end of a stars life. This process takes billions of years. Young stars don’t go supernova.
Dwight: All theories. None of that can be proven.

TK

Post by TK » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:23 pm

But Dwight- this article is about a guy who captured this star exploding- ie going supernova. It is pretty indisputable that there are stars in different stages of star life. I mean we know about and observe red giants, white dwarfs, neutron stars, pulsars, black holes, nebulas, supernovas etc. these stages of star evolution do not occur overnight.

If you say that God created these all at once we are once then again getting into an “appearance of age” argument. I think that’s balderdash but you likely don’t have an issue with it.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:26 am

TK wrote:But Dwight- this article is about a guy who captured this star exploding- ie going supernova. It is pretty indisputable that there are stars in different stages of star life. I mean we know about and observe red giants, white dwarfs, neutron stars, pulsars, black holes, nebulas, supernovas etc. these stages of star evolution do not occur overnight.

If you say that God created these all at once we are once then again getting into an “appearance of age” argument. I think that’s balderdash but you likely don’t have an issue with it.
Dwight: So how old do you think Adam and Eve appeared on the day they were created?

TK

Post by TK » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:04 am

I believed they appeared as young adults but with absolutely zero indications of any wear and tear that a young adult today would display (eg, teeth slightly worn).

Applying this to the trees in Eden, I would not expect them to have had growth rings. If they did, that would have created an appearance of age problem, at least for me.

Return to “Miscellaneous”