Experiences and knowledge

RV

Experiences and knowledge

Post by RV » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:30 pm

Hello Everyone,

This is a kinda of part 2 of Experiences and Testimonies.

I'd like to ask Steve, but this question is really for all who are willing. I'm asking Steve because he's one of the more studied amoung us.

So my question; do you feel like you rely more on your experiences or the knowledge through study? I know they both play a part.

When I say rely, I mean lean on. Meaing, when it comes to knowing God, do you rely more on what you've studied, or more on the experiences that you've had.

I know Steve, you have been taken care of by the Lord in ways that most people aren't, as far as money is concerned. Not better or worse, just that the Lord seems to have done something sort of unique with you.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm finding myself more and more just saying I don't know. I can't prove that the experiences equal God.

But... when it comes to study, a lot of times, I just don't know and I feel like all I have is my experiences.

Following me?

RV

TK

Re: Experiences and knowledge

Post by TK » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:01 pm

God desires an intimate relationship with us. I am not sure how we can have an intimate relationship with God unless we experience that relationship. I would rather talk to and spend time with my parents than simply reading about their lives.

Of course, God seems to not be as "knowable" as we would like since He is, after all, God and a Spirit. So we do need to study scripture to see what God is like; we need to study the life of Jesus to see what God is like. We need to study nature to see what God is like. But we cannot simply study and stop there. Learning about God is not the goal-- intimacy with Him is. At least that is how I see it.

I think it is easy to learn, learn, learn about God and not take the next step to be intimate with Him. I was this way for a long time. However, I am striving to be a more extravagant worshiper, and to learn to listen for Him to speak (His sheep hear His voice). I love His presence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prbw1s5gVX8

TK

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:43 pm

So my question; do you feel like you rely more on your experiences or the knowledge through study? I know they both play a part.

Experienes are great but they may be few and far between , but through Jesus we do know God because he is the express image of his Father. He said he came to reveal God and he said "if you have seen me you have seen the Father" therefore we can know God very well thanks to his Son.

RV

Post by RV » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:49 pm

TK wrote:God desires an intimate relationship with us. I am not sure how we can have an intimate relationship with God unless we experience that relationship. I would rather talk to and spend time with my parents than simply reading about their lives.

Of course, God seems to not be as "knowable" as we would like since He is, after all, God and a Spirit. So we do need to study scripture to see what God is like; we need to study the life of Jesus to see what God is like. We need to study nature to see what God is like. But we cannot simply study and stop there. Learning about God is not the goal-- intimacy with Him is. At least that is how I see it.

I think it is easy to learn, learn, learn about God and not take the next step to be intimate with Him. I was this way for a long time. However, I am striving to be a more extravagant worshiper, and to learn to listen for Him to speak (His sheep hear His voice). I love His presence.

RV

Post by RV » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:05 pm

TK wrote:God desires an intimate relationship with us. I am not sure how we can have an intimate relationship with God unless we experience that relationship. I would rather talk to and spend time with my parents than simply reading about their lives.

Thanks for the reply TK.

This is a good example of why I asked my original question.

I could be wrong on this, but it appears that through study you've come to the conclusion that "God desires an intimate relationship with us", but that your experience has shown you that "God seems to not be as 'knowable' as we would like since He is, after all, God and a Spirit".

I assume TK, you can also confirm this:
steve7150 wrote:Experienes are great but they may be few and far between , but through Jesus we do know God because he is the express image of his Father. He said he came to reveal God and he said "if you have seen me you have seen the Father" therefore we can know God very well thanks to his Son.
Typically, if there is someone that I have few interactions with, I usually say that I know them, but not in an intimate way.

So is it safe to say, that what you know about the Lord comes mostly through study and not through an intimate relationship?

TK

Post by TK » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:25 pm

RV wrote:
So is it safe to say, that what you know about the Lord comes mostly through study and not through an intimate relationship?
As of right now, yes-- but I believe that is slowly changing. I have good friends who would say just the opposite.

I think one of the problems here is that I don't believe you have to know a lot ABOUT God to have an intimate relationship with Him. How much did David know about God? Any more than any of us? he probably knew much less- he didnt have the NT and he didnt know about Jesus. The same would go for many characters in the Bible. Moses is a notable exception, because he did have intense and lengthy personal encounters with God.

So i am not sure exactly what the "key" is to move from mere knowledge to intimacy. I know time spent with Him (not just reading about Him) is a key element, as is worship, and taking the time to hear his voice. I am certainly willing to listen to any other comments regarding this.

TK

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:11 pm

So is it safe to say, that what you know about the Lord comes mostly through study and not through an intimate relationship?RV

My intimate relationship with him is based on the fact i know He loves me and that he sent his beloved Son to die for me, so that i could be welcomed in his family.
If he had his beloved Son die for you , would that be intimate enough or would you consider that to be a part of "study."

TK

Post by TK » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Steve7150 wrote:
My intimate relationship with him is based on the fact i know He loves me and that he sent his beloved Son to die for me, so that i could be welcomed in his family.
But is that enough? I know that this is in many ways a very personal topic because we are all different. And believe me I am not picking on you at all. But does God want us to base our relationship with Him on just this?(although He certainly deserves our worship for this). I might know that my parents love me, but it does not automatically follow that I have a close relationship with them.

Close relationship is based on interaction, not just knowledge. It is my understanding that God wants to interact with us. I recently heard Bill Johnson talk about co-laboring with Him. He wants to be involved with us. That is why He created us.

TK

RV

Post by RV » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:07 pm

TK wrote:But is that enough? I know that this is in many ways a very personal topic because we are all different. And believe me I am not picking on you at all. But does God want us to base our relationship with Him on just this?(although He certainly deserves our worship for this). I might know that my parents love me, but it does not automatically follow that I have a close relationship with them.

Close relationship is based on interaction, not just knowledge. It is my understanding that God wants to interact with us. I recently heard Bill Johnson talk about co-laboring with Him. He wants to be involved with us. That is why He created us.
Those are a couple of my questions also TK.

I hear a lot of Christian talk about an "intimate" relationship with God. But... it's rare that I don't also find that most seem to struggle with clarity about His will for their lives.

Also... more times than not, I hear stories of how people have thought the Lord was telling them to do something only later to say that it may not have been the Lord.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Well i think knowing we are beloved is the single most important thing humans desire. To love and be loved and scripture does say we love him because he has loved us first.
So i think this is well beyond "study" and "knowledge" but this revelation has to be received in the heart. As Paul said in Eph 1 we have already received all spiritual blessings yet i think most believers strive for God to do something, give a sign, give them direction, something they can feel.
We do have the Holy Spirit in us and He does speak to our spirit (Rom 8) but Satan can speak to our mind or flesh so we must test everything by the Word. I talk to God everyday and i choose to believe every good gift comes from Him.

Return to “Miscellaneous”