_Anonymous

Baptism of the Holy Spirit

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:34 am

Dear Steve,

What does the baptism of the Spirit confer or what is the purpose of the
baptism of the Spirit? Does it confer the gifts of the Spirit, i.e. can
Christians receive the gift/s of the Spirit without being baptised by the
Spirit? What about the fruit of the Spirit... can Christians produce the
fruit of the Spirit without being baptised by the Spirit?

Thanks,

Ben Ho
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:25 pm

Hi Ben,
First we need to define our terms. The "baptism in the Holy Spirit" I take to be something distinct from baptism in water, and not identical to conversion or regeneration—even though it would seem that most Christians in the first century experienced all three at approximately the same time (e.g. Acts 2:38/ 9:17/ 19:5-6/ possibly 1 Cor.12:13). There are exceptions, in which the baptism in the Spirit seemed for some reason delayed after conversion and water baptism, and was bestowed later (e.g., Acts 8:12-17), or in which this baptism was given prior to water baptism (Acts 10:44-48).

The term "baptized with [or in] the Holy Spirit" seems to be used interchangably with the terms "the Holy Spirit coming UPON" a person, and being "filled with the Holy Spirit" (see Acts 1:5, 8/ 2:4), the latter clearly not being assumed to automatically have occurred at conversion (Eph.5:18). All Christians, by very definition, possess the Spirit of Christ from the moment of true conversion (Rom.8:9/ 1 John 3:24/ 4:13), but not all are evidently "filled with the Spirit", suggesting that the baptism in the Spirit is something additional to regeneration, whether it occurs simultaneously or subsequently.

What difference does it make to be baptized or filled with the Spirit? The parallel expression which speaks of the Spirit coming "upon" a person is a common expression in the Old Testament for the divine power and anointing that was experienced by a prophet allowing him to prophesy (e.g., Numbers 11:25/Joel 2:28/ 1 Sam.10:10/ 2 Chron.24:20), or a leader, allowing him to lead (Numbers 11:17/ Judges 3:10/ 1 Sam.11:6-7/16:13-14)—even upon Samson, enabling him to do physical feats through supernatutral power (Judges 14:6, 19/15:14). Jesus referred to this gift as receiving "power from on high" (Luke 24:49) and said, "You will receive power after the Holy Spirit has come upon you" (Acts 1:8). We must assume that this makes a considerable difference since neither Jesus nor the apostles were permitted to begin their public service for God until they received this power (Matt.3:16/Luke 24:49).

It is clear that God's work is not to be done through mere human talent or effort (Zech.4:6). Though a skilled man without the Spirit may live a disciplined, moral life, and may perform many of the duties associated with public ministry, this is not normative Christianity or service, but produces a man-made counterfeit, an effort of the flesh, which may get visible results, but does not make a true spiritual impact, such as God intends His work to make, and such as only His Spirit can accomplish. If it is not the Lord who builds the house, the house may yet be built without Him, but it is labor spent "in vain" (Ps.127:1).

The gifts of the Spirit (1 Cor.12-14/Rom.12:6-8/ 1 Pet.4:10-11) and the fruit of the Spirit (Gal.5:22-23/ Eph.5:9) are different kinds of manifestations of the Spirit's presence and activity in the life of a believer. Since all believers possess the Spirit, it cannot be ruled out that some such manifestation may be seen in a believer who has not been baptized in the Spirit, but it is having the Spirit come UPON you and your being FILLED with the Spirit that produces normative Christian living (fruit) and service (gifts).

Both fruit and gifts of the Spirit manifest something of the power of God in the life—the former being God's power to transform the inner man, and the latter, His power to confer spiritual benefit, through the man to his fellow men. I should not wish to attempt either Christian living or service without being filled with the Spirit—which is not to say that Christians have never done so successfully—but it would seem so frustrating and stressful striving to accomplish things that only God can do, without the full power of God granted for the task. It would seem that, no matter how much natural strength and ability a person may possess, working strictly in the power of the flesh, his finite resources must eventually become exhausted, and burn-out (and possibly backsliding) must be the inevitable result.

The fruit of the Spirit is the character of Christ supernaturally reproduced in the life of the believer, and the gifts of the Spirit infuse ministry activities—some of which might otherwise, with effort, be done in the flesh—with that divine anointing and blessing that only God can grant. A man may be an eloquent and learned teacher, or a flawless and dynamic singer, or a brilliant administrator, or a conscientious janitor—but apart from the Spirit's gifting and anointing, I believe, his contribution will be little more than "filling the role" or "getting the job done"—and will not be accompanied with transforming spiritual impact.

Some would wish for me to say more about speaking in tongues in this connection, but the Bible speaks of that subject only in a few places, in contrast with the scores of passages concerned with the working of the Spirit in and through believers generally. I myself sometimes speak with tongues, and I value the blessing in it, but I find no biblical warrant to make it a showcase gift or a litmus test for the Spirit-filled life and ministry.

I hope I may, in all of this verbage, have gotten around to answering your questions on this subject.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Anonymous

How to get baptised by the Spirit?

Post by _Anonymous » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:14 am

Dear Steve,

Thanks for your comprehensive answer. This is a topic that my church doesn't teach. I have another question to ask.

How do I get baptised in/with the Holy Spirit? Do I pray for the Holy Spirit baptism or get someone (who?) to lay hands on me or just simply wait for the Spirit to come at His own timing?

And when I do get baptised in the Spirit, how will I know if it occurred? Is it through some inward awareness or outward display? Or does it have to be tested with time? Some people say it is through speaking in tongues, which I know you don't agree with. Even then, I remember your testimony where you said that your parents could see an immediate change in you when you returned home after being baptised in the Spirit.

Grace and peace,

Ben Ho
Reason:

_Benjamin Ho

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:08 am

Hi Steve,

While you're thinking about the answer, I'm going to slip another question in. After being baptised in the Spirit, do I need to ask to be filled with the Spirit repeatedly in the course of my life? If yes, how do I get filled with the Spirit...is it the same process as being baptised in the Spirit?
Reason:
Grace and peace,
Benjamin Ho

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:39 am

Deart Benjamin,
I have been slow to answer these last two questions of yours for the simple reason that I am not as sure as I once was that I really know the answers. I will give you such answers as seem biblical to me, and which have worked for me, and for many others I have known. I would have no uncertainty about the validity of my answers if not for the fact that some people I know who have followed my advice on this did not seem to get recognizable "results." It is, of course, possible that this is not a defect in the teaching but in some factor in a person's life which is invisible to me and which I cannot discern. If I were seeking the baptism in the Spirit today, as I did in 1970, I would do the same thing again that I did then, because I am still convinced of its scriptural validity.

First, it may not require any action on your part to be filled with or baptized with the Spirit. Those in Cornelius' household apparently did not do anything or expect anything when the Spirit fell upon them (Acts 10:44). This was a sovereign act of God, and one which I believe He can repeat any time He wishes to do so.

Second, Jesus said that the Father will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him (Luke 11:13). I have always assumed that this applies to any measure or aspect of the Holy Spirit's ministry, including the baptism in the Spirit. If this is "the promise of the Father" (Luke 24:49), then there can be no impertinence in asking the Father to give the thing He has promised. Indeed, it may simply be that "Ye have not because ye ask not" (James 4:2).

Third, I think it goes without saying that this benefit is only available to true Christians (1 John 4:13). This may be where the problem lies with many who do not seem to receive the baptism of the Spirit upon the mere asking. The Spirit will only inhabit a cleansed vessel, which, by becoming part of the Body of Christ, is now qualified to be also the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor.6:19). It may also be the case that sin, compromise, or lack of total consecration may prevent a person from receiving the thing sought from God (2 Cor.6:16—7:1).

Fourth, the Spirit is received by faith (Gal.3:2/ John 7:38-39). When I was baptised in the Spirit, I felt and saw nothing in the way of evidences such as I expected. However, I determined that the promise of God cannot fail, and that God had kept His word even if I had no recognizable evidence of the sort that I had anticipated. In other words, I simply affixed my faith to the promise of God and took Him at His word. As it happened, many evidences followed my believing. We can not think that we will receive anything from the Lord if we do not ask in faith (James 1:6-7).

Fifth, the laying-on of hands appears to be normative in scripture as a means of receiving the baptism in the Spirit (e.g., Acts 8:17/ 9:17/ 19:6/ 2 Tim.1:6/ Heb.6:1-2). While this factor does not seem to be indispensible (i.e., God can give the gift, if He wishes, without the laying-on of hands—Acts 2:4/ 10:44), yet my study of scripture led me to believe that the bestowal of this benefit without the laying-on of hands was the exception, rather than the rule. I was just desperate enough for this blessing that I was not prepared to take any chances, or to require God to make an exception in my case. Therefore, I did receive the laying-on of hands from a Spirit-filled brother, and I was not disappointed.

Sixth, speaking of being "desperate," I have come to think that the lack of this desperation may be the hindrance to some people receiving the baptism in the Spirit. Jesus said that the "rivers of living water" (which John identifies as the Holy Spirit) will be given to anyone who "thirsts" (John 7:37-39). "Thirst" is a raging, all-consuming drive to the parched soul. I wonder if some who have sought the Spirit's power have not received what they might otherwise have received, for the simple reason that they "could live without it."

Seventh (a good number to conclude with!), if I had done all the above and did not see any change in my life, I would ask myself whether I might already have received this anointing (as some have) at my conversion. If, on the other hand, it was evident to me that my spiritual experience was sub-normal vis-a-vis the biblical descriptions, I would simply not stop asking, knocking, and seeking until I was sure that I had received as much as God wished to give (Luke 11:5-9/ 18:1-7).

I have stated, on a number of occasions, my personal belief that there are cycles involving seasons of revival and seasons of testing for the people of God (Isaiah 55:6/ Acts 3:19/ James 5:7 ???). In the former (the revival times), large numbers of people are very readily saved and filled with the Spirit, while the latter (the testing times) are characterized by God's apparent withdrawal, during which conversions and baptisms in the Spirit are more rare and less easily obtained. I could be wrong, but my observations of 35 years, as well as my studies of the history of revivals incline me to believe that I am correct. I was very fortunate to have been swept-up in a true revival in 1970, resulting in myself and almost everyone I knew being filled with the Holy Spirit instantaneously upon the mere asking. My children, and those of their generation, on the other hand, have not found it quite so easy or instantaneous, though they have (apparently) sought this blessing in all the same ways that I did. Perhaps, when the revivals fade, and God is testing the fruit of the previous revival, the receiving of the same blessings can only be obtained by more determined and persevering prayer and pursuit. This is only a guess, but an educated one.

As for the evidence that will tell you that you have actually received the fulness of the Spirit, you know that I do not believe tongues to be the only or essential evidence. In scripture, and in modern Pentecostal experience, it is true that tongues were often in evidence when people were baptized in the Spirit (e.g., Acts 2:4/ 10:46/ 19:6), and I should not be surprised to find it so in many cases today. However, I am sure that there are many Spirit-filled believers who have never spoken in tongues (1 Cor.12:30), but who have reason to be convinced that they, too, have been baptized with the Spirit, as well as others.

The Spirit's invasion of the human soul is self-announcing (Romans 8:16/ 1 John 5:10). If, after seeking the baptism in the Spirit, God has not become more real to you, the scriptures more alive, prayer more natural and energized, then I would suggest that the fulness of the Spirit remains in your future—not your present experience—though all of these elements may exist in varying degrees from person-to-person, and may need to be cultivated over time. The person for whom Christianity is still little more than a set of theological beliefs and convictions needs to seek more of the Spirit's presence and fulness in his/her life. But if you know that you know Christ, and He is as real to you as the physical realities around you, then I would be prepared to say that you have received the infilling of the Holy Spirit. This is quite subjective, of course, but many valid things (e.g., love, admiration, confidence) are known only subjectively in experience. The fulness of the Holy Spirit, I believe, is in this category.

As for the need of repeated or continuous fillings, I believe that the person who is once filled with the Spirit (owing to the personal nature of the Spirit of God) must continue to cultivate his/her relationship with the Spirit. Failure to do so, I think, will result in a decline in spiritual experience, and may bring one to the point of needing to be "recharged" (see, e.g., Acts 4:31/ Eph.5:18). I would seek the "refill" in the same manner as the original filling (with the possible exception of the laying-on of hands again).

A key to maintaining the fulness of the Spirit appears to be given in Ephesians 5:18-21. There are a number of exhortations here that seem grammatically subordinate to the general exhortation to "be filled with the Holy Spirit." This is in the present tense, which, according to Zodhiates, "refers only to continuous or repeated action" (Zodhiates, "The Complete Word Study New Testament"). As I understand the passage, Paul says, "Continue to be filled with the Holy Spirit by doing the following: 1) maintaining a habit of internal and verbally-expressed worship in song (v.19); 2) being continually thankful to God through every circumstance (v.20); and 3) maintaining a servant's heart in all relations with the brethren (v.21). This may be only a partial list, serving only to indicate a certain direction of conduct, but I have found these things to work in my experience.

Your experience may be different from mine, but I certainly hope that it will not be inferior in quality. I have known great anointing of power, intimacy in prayer, consolation in affliction, love of the brethern, and contentment in every state since receiving this baptism—and I greatly desire, as did Moses, "that all the Lord's people were prophets, and that the Lord would put His Spirit upon them!" (Numbers 11:29).
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:28 am

These are great questions and answers. I have another.

How do I know if the person who is doing the laying on of hands is truly spirit filled and not just "going through the motions" in a non spirit filled Church. I know time can tell, but I'm still looking for a Church. I don't want to feel like I'm "settling" for one just because it's close, etc. How to I find a good Church with a spirit filled pastor?

Maybe someone knows of one in the St. Louis metro area (I'm on the Illinois side). :D
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:07 pm

Sean,
I know that it can be hard to select a church and to trust a leader to be truly “Spirit-filled,” when so much that is not spiritual at all often goes under the name of spirituality today. I think, on balance, the more spiritual men may be found leading obscure ministries—prison ministries, rescue missions, small churches, etc. There is no guarantee these days that such people will be spiritual, but they are often the more humble and servant-minded types, which are traits more indicative of spirituality than are, say, eloquent preaching or dynamic personality.

This is not to suggest that the leader of a larger ministry can’t also be spiritual (e.g., Chuck Smith, of Calvary Chapel fame, has always impressed me as a genuinely spiritual man), but large congregations are often large because of compromised preaching and teaching, and an itch on the part of their leaders to become large and impressive—not a spiritual trait. Look for a man who is concentrating on the “depth” of his ministry, not the “breadth” (if we concern ourselves with the former, God will concern Himself with the latter—James 4:7-10/ Psalm 75:4-7/ 1 Pet.5:6).

As far as that goes, some of the most spiritual men you are likely to meet may not be recognized “leaders” in any ministry or church whatsoever. A man does not have to hold a position of church leadership to minister the Spirit to others (Acts 9:17).

As far as choosing a church goes, I can’t be of much help there. I gave up on expecting much from churches years ago. I still attend church, and I seek to get something from God out of each service, but I would be in trouble if I was dependant on one of these institutions either for my spiritual nourishment or for my fellowship. You might find what I have written on my website about this helpful. It is at www.thenarrowpath.com (under the topical articles link). There is an article called “What is Church?”.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

Return to “Miscellaneous”