Jesus' humanity

_Kathy

Jesus' humanity

Post by _Kathy » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:56 pm

Hello Steve,
I don't know that my question can be answered scripturally, but it's something I've thought about off and on, I was wondering what your thoughts might be on the subject. My Presupposition is that when Jesus became a man, he accepted the limitations that go along with being human. That being the case, when he went back to the Father, did he go back to being as He was before His incarnation or, because of His human aspect, was the sacrifice He made by becoming a man an everlasting sacrifice to some degree? I think He is still a man as much as He is God, correct? What do you think?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:19 am

Hi Kathy,
I think that the fact that Jesus still had scars in His hands and feet and a hole in His side after His resurrection (John 20:27) would indicate that He still possessed His human body and thus (it would seem) His humanity (1 Timothy 2:5). It is now a glorified humanity that He possesses, such as we shall all have in the future resurrection (Philippians 3:21/ 1 John 3:2), but it is still humanity. Thus it would appear that the second member of the trinity did indeed submit to a permanent identification with the human race in His incarnation.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_james

Post by _james » Thu May 20, 2004 5:30 pm

Thus it would appear that the second member of the trinity did indeed submit to a permanent identification with the human race in His incarnation.

Interesting you should say that Steve. I believe that when Christ gives up His authority (per 1 Cor.15:28) that He will live like and with the rest of us men.That His identification is complete and eternal...
Reason:
"He who learns must suffer.Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God." Aeschylus

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Thu May 20, 2004 8:50 pm

Wow, Jim! I'm sure that your view would be branded as heretical by most orthodox types (just as many of mine would be!). It is an interesting perspective, and I don't know how it could be refuted scripturally (maybe someone does and will post a response). It certainly raises questions about the nature of the incarnation—just the kind of questions that ecumenical councils loved to debate, but which no one can really answer completely from scripture (meaning the answers to them must not be essential to our salvation or Christian walk). I guess we'll see...
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_james

Post by _james » Thu May 20, 2004 9:00 pm

Steve wrote:Wow, Jim! I'm sure that your view would be branded as heretical by most orthodox types (just as many of mine would be!). It is an interesting perspective, and I don't know how it could be refuted scripturally (maybe someone does and will post a response). It certainly raises questions about the nature of the incarnation—just the kind of questions that ecumenical councils loved to debate, but which no one can really answer completely from scripture.
Yes, probably heretical. Perhaps that is Christ's greatest sacrifice. Taking on the mantle of a man for eternity. Becoming one of us and remaining one of us throughout the ages. Made in ALL things like His brethern - forever...
Reason:
"He who learns must suffer.Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God." Aeschylus

Return to “Miscellaneous”