1 Corinthians 7:14 and Paedobaptism

Homer

1 Corinthians 7:14 and Paedobaptism

Post by Homer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm

In studying through 1 Corinthians I noticed what appears to be an implied argument, in Paul's thought, against the practice of infant baptism:

1 Corinthians 7:14 (NASB)
14. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.

If Paul believed in the practice of paedobaptism it would seem that the fact of having one parent who was an unbeliever would be moot in the case of a baptized child who would certainly not be considered "unclean", if there was any efficacy in child baptism.

steve

Re: 1 Corinthians 7:14 and Paedobaptism

Post by steve » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:55 am

I think you are right.

Singalphile

Re: 1 Corinthians 7:14 and Paedobaptism

Post by Singalphile » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:54 am

I don't know. It's kind of vague, right?

How are the unbelieving spouse and children sanctified or made holy because of the believing spouse? It may have nothing to do with baptism in any way. Or maybe Paul assumes that babies will be (or were or will have been) baptized by the believing parent.

In any case, the lack of any biblical reference to paedobaptism doesn't stop it from happening. Church Tradition, or perhaps a deduction from some theological system, is reason enough for many, I guess. So good luck with that. :)
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “General”