TNP Production Woes

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
_JC

TNP Production Woes

Post by _JC » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:45 pm

Steve, I've been a listener to TNP radio program for 3 years now. You may not hear this often but I've come to enjoy the lack of "polish" on the show. I listen to several podcasted radio shows and most of them have great bumpers, timing, and producing. They also have commercials, which are far more annoying than your connection going down every so often. During Wednesday's program, internet listeners missed out on your DJ skills as the producer's voice came on and debriefed us on FCC copyright law.

Things like that actually strike me as authentic and unscripted, which, of course, they are. Perhaps I'm a odd-duckling but those little blips add character to the show, in my opinion. Too much polish and I start to get bored. The BAM show is very polished but they take like three 7-minute commercial breaks for every hour Hank's on the air. As soon as the discussion starts to get good, they have a very protracted break and by the time the show returns I've forgotten what's being discussed.

What I'm saying here is simply this: Your lack of commercial breaks more than makes up for the production woes you guys face each week. Keep on keepin' on.

God bless.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:41 pm

Thanks, JC. Like I often say, I have the most forgiving audience in radio!
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_brody_in_ga

Post by _brody_in_ga » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:56 pm

The narrow path radio program is hands down the best! Lets have a look at the others, and I will offer my point of view on each.

Gene Cooks "unchained radio"-

Gene sometimes strikes gold with some of the comedy on his show, but as of late, there haven't been many shows at all, and the ones that are aired seem awkward at times, with lots of discussion on trivial things that can't seem to keep me interested.

James Whites "The dividing line"-

I listen to every pod-cast expecting something different, and I get the same thing. 1.) Some rant about a Roman Catholic whom I(and possibly nobody else)has heard of.

2.) Some attack on Dave Hunt for "misrepresenting Calvinism". I wonder if anyone understands Calvinism these days?

3.) A lot of talk about proper exegesis and how it works, and very little demonstration of it. I often get very confused when James starts talking about syntax Greek grammar and all that stuff, and I suspect most of his listeners do.

And add to this the fact that all the callers who call are pre screened by Rich,and you can see why it seems that almost every caller is in perfect agreement with a "pre-planned" show.

I am spoiled by Steve's program, therefore I expect every program to be like his.
Reason:
For our God is a consuming fire.
Hebrews 12:29

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:07 pm

I'd even listen to a BAD Bible-talk show if it had no commercials! Thankfully, that is not the case with the Narrow Path.
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:51 pm

I take a little different tack -- as much as I hate commercials (especially Christian ones that often seem to prey on the least common denominator of manipulation) I would prefer that the faithful sheeple (that listen to our local Christian radio station and consider it somehow salvific) would have the benefit of Steve's teaching even if it required commercials.

However, I very much appreciate Steve's lack of bondage of the budgets this might require.
I'd even listen to a BAD Bible-talk show if it had no commercials! Thankfully, that is not the case with the Narrow Path.
Reason:

__id_2620

Post by __id_2620 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:31 pm

I have to reply to brodys reply. I find myself getting ill after listening to J White for too long :oops:

I too notice him constantly saying "proper exegesis", which of course we all agree should be done. Well, that is unless, of course it is 1 John 2:2, or 1 Timothy 2: 3-6, or 2 Peter 3:9, John 3:16 or so on.........Then it is perfectly fine to use a little old fashioned Eisegesis to support your pre conceived theological position. Or should I use the "Tradition" word he uses to make others who do not agree with him look bad.

Go ahead, ask me how I really feel! :D haha Just wanted to piggy back brody and add my own frusteration.

In Christ, Greg
Reason:

_brody_in_ga

Post by _brody_in_ga » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:03 am

Greg wrote:I have to reply to brodys reply. I find myself getting ill after listening to J White for too long :oops:

I too notice him constantly saying "proper exegesis", which of course we all agree should be done. Well, that is unless, of course it is 1 John 2:2, or 1 Timothy 2: 3-6, or 2 Peter 3:9, John 3:16 or so on.........Then it is perfectly fine to use a little old fashioned Eisegesis to support your pre conceived theological position. Or should I use the "Tradition" word he uses to make others who do not agree with him look bad.

Go ahead, ask me how I really feel! :D haha Just wanted to piggy back brody and add my own frusteration.

In Christ, Greg
I know it may seem that I give James White a hard time, and believe me, I don't intend on taking cheap shots at him.

But you are right, he constantly picks fights with other apologist, and then proclaims himself to be the victor. I find myself asking, "If I were an unsaved person listening to this show, could I learn enough about Jesus from James to get saved"?.....
Reason:
For our God is a consuming fire.
Hebrews 12:29

_JC

Post by _JC » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:03 pm

I find James White to be quite winsome when he talks about things other than reformed theology. But nevertheless, I started this thread to encourage Steve to keep doing what he's doing. The Narrow Path is head and shoulders above the other podcasts on my list, despite it's basement production.

What other radio host would begin a program with, "You're listening to the Narrow Path and I'm broadcasting from the baggage claim at O'Hare International Airport." LOL

Steve, you're an inspiration.
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:13 pm

One Reformed radio guy's program, the last time I heard it, the intro sounded more like a "Big Halloween Party!" than...well, nevermind....

If Saint Paul would have had a radio show, I think he'd have broadcasted right out of the Thessalonican Airport. Wait! He had to catch the first flight and get outta there!!!
"Yer listening to the---oO! synagogue-guys, gtg, BYE! I'll write you a letter...." {silence}....

(That was cool, Steve), :wink:
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

Return to “Radio Program Topics”