Can't find a Reference

mattrose

Can't find a Reference

Post by mattrose » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:06 pm

I remember reading on a couple of occasions a comment from a (Roman?) official about the early church.

It had to do with how there was little to no poverty in his area b/c the Christians fasted so regularly (and donated what they would have eaten) to the poor.

For whatever reason, I cannot remember or find this reference. Does it sound familiar to anyone else?

darinhouston

Re: Can't find a Reference

Post by darinhouston » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:47 pm

Probably some over-active "sermonization" you heard somewhere -- ;)

Interesting, if true. I thought they had little hunger because the spoils kept coming in from Roman conquests.

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:06 am

Could this be it:

Julian the Apostate complained: “These impious Galileans (i. e. Christians) feed not only their own poor, but ours as well.”

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:26 am

Thank you Homer! I think you are right. In fact, I think my mind was combining quotes from different sources. The first (I just found) is from the Apology of Aristides. It seems to be a 2nd century Christian work and mentions there being no poor among the Christians b/c they fast and donate their food. The second (which you found) is from Julian the Apostate (Emperor in the 4th century) and talks about how the Jews feed all their own poor and the Christians feed their poor AND the Roman poor! Julian considers this a shame on his own religion and notes that the reason Christianity is growing is b/c of such kindnesses.
"And if there is among them any that is poor and needy, and if they have no spare food, they fast two or three days in order to supply to the needy their lack of food." (section 15)

"And to me there is no doubt but that the earth abides through the supplication of the Christians." (section 16)

THE APOLOGY OF ARISTIDES THE PHILOSOPHER
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... s-kay.html
"For it is disgraceful when no Jew is a beggar and the impious Galileans [the name given by Julian to Christians] support our poor in addition to their own;" (Middle of 3rd paragraph)

Julian the Apostate: Letter to Arsacius

Return to “Church History”