who (else) can comfort you?-
ruin and destruction, famine and sword-
who (else) can console you?

Your sons have fainted;
they lie at the head of every street,
like antelope caught in a net.
They are filled with the wrath of the LORD
and the rebuke of your God."

In the midst of a passage dealing with Jerusalem's redemption when it looks the most impossible because of a terrible oppressor who is troubling them (vv. 12-13), we hear this strange statement of "two sons" who will come to comfort them.

What two sons? What's Isaiah talking about?

Isaiah is using language directly from Genesis 3:15 here. Whereas the Messianic descendant of Eve would crush the head of the serpent (that is, defeat him in battle), none of the sons that Jerusalem has brought forth has proven capable of defeating their oppressor! Nevertheless, TWO SONS will stand up to comfort Jerusalem in the midst of their great distress. How will they comfort them? By pointing them to why it is that they're being oppressed - because of their wickedness - and how it is that they can escape this wrath - by repenting!

These two sons are types of the Messiah, in other words. They are the two prophets - the two witnesses - who prophesy in Jerusalem in Revelation 11.

Question. From a preterist viewpoint, who would these two sons be?

Damon
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Benjamin Ho

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:26 am

Hi Damon,

I looked up Isaiah 51:19--I think that is the Bible reference you were referring to since you didn't indicate it in your post. Also I'm not sure which English version you are quoting from but all the major English version has two things and not two sons. (See below.)

Grace and peace,
Benjamin Ho

=====

Isaiah 51:19

19 These two things are come unto thee; who will bemoan thee? —desolation and destruction, and famine and sword: how shall I comfort thee?
DARBY

19 These two things are befallen thee, who shall bemoan thee? desolation and destruction, and the famine and the sword; how shall I comfort thee?
ASV

19 Two kinds of calamities have befallen you—but who feels sorry for and commiserates you?—they are desolation and destruction [on the land and city], and famine and sword [on the inhabitants]—how shall I comfort you or by whom?
AMP

19 These two things have come on you; who will be weeping for you? wasting and destruction; death from need of food, and from the sword; how may you be comforted?
BBE

19 These two things have happened to you— who will console you?— devastation and destruction, famine and sword; who will comfort you?
ESV

19 A double disaster has fallen on you: your land has been devastated by war, and your people have starved. There is no one to show you sympathy.
GNT

19 These two things are come unto thee; who shall be sorry for thee? desolation, and destruction, and the famine, and the sword: by whom shall I comfort thee?
KJV

19 These two things have been your lot: desolation and destruction. Yes, famine and the sword. And who is left to sympathize? Who is left to comfort you?
The Living Bible

19 You’ve been hit with a double dose of trouble —does anyone care? Assault and battery, hunger and death —will anyone comfort?
The Message

19 These two things have befallen you; Who will mourn for you? The devastation and destruction, famine and sword; How shall I comfort you?
NASB95

19 Troubles came to you two by two, but no one will feel sorry for you. There was ruin and disaster, great hunger and fighting. No one can comfort you.
NCV

19 These double calamities have come upon you— who can comfort you?— ruin and destruction, famine and sword— who can console you?
NIV

19 These two things have come to you; Who will be sorry for you?— Desolation and destruction, famine and sword— By whom will I comfort you?
NKJV

19 These two things have been your lot: desolation and destruction, famine and war. And who is left to sympathize? Who is left to comfort you?
NLT

19 These two things have befallen you —who will grieve with you?— devastation and destruction, famine and sword— who will comfort you?
NRSV

19 These two things have befallen you— who will condole with you? — devastation and destruction, famine and sword; who will comfort you?
RSV

19 These two [things] have come to thee; who shall be sorry for thee? desolation, and destruction, and famine, and the sword: by whom shall I comfort thee?
Revised Websters

19 These two are meeting thee, who is moved for thee? Spoiling and destruction—Famine and sword, who—I comfort thee?
YLT
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:27 am

I would say the two things are desolation/famine and destruction/sword.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:00 am

Ugh!!

Guys, I don't mean to be blunt, but did you ever think to look in a concordance or an interlinear to try to figure out what the passage was saying in the original Hebrew?

The word "things" is in italics in the KJV, meaning it's been inserted by the translators to try to make sense of the passage. However, I believe that it's an incorrect rendering. The subject of the surrounding verses is what? SONS! Therefore "these two" are two SONS, not things.

Besides, one has to try to understand this passage in terms of its symbolism, and the symbolism very clearly connects with the concept of a "promised son" - a Messianic overcomer - in Genesis 3:15.

Damon
Reason:

_Benjamin Ho

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:47 am

Hi Damon,

The Hebrew word (shettayim) is just the word "TWO". In your translation of the passage, I note that you placed in brackets the words "ELSE", you should have done the same with the word "SONS". The word "SONS" is not found in that verse. Of course neither is the word "THINGS".

Even if I were to assume the "TWO" refers to sons as in the verse before and after, the very verse itself then figuratively identifies these two sons as "desolation/famine" and "destruction/sword".

Just my two cents.
Reason:
Grace and peace,
Benjamin Ho

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:32 am

Hi Benjamin.

I don't think you're getting what the verse is trying to say. Look at the last line: "BY WHOM shall I comfort you [Jerusalem]?"

Well, who comforts Jerusalem?

Look at Isaiah 40:1. "This is what your God says: 'Be comforted, be comforted, My people!' Speak comfortingly to Jerusalem," etc. And who says this? Look at Isaiah 40:3: "The voice of one crying in the wilderness..." And this was spoken by the one who came in the spirit and power of Elijah, according to Matthew 3:1-3 and Luke 1:17. If the two witnesses of Revelation 11 are to be understood as Elijah and Moses, then who is Isaiah 51:19 referring to, who comfort Jerusalem? Elijah and Moses, of course!

Jerusalem is being comforted because it's been enduring desolation, destruction, famine and the sword. Obviously the inhabitants would want to know that God is about to have mercy on them, right? And that's what the verse is trying to say.

The phrases in this verse are simply arranged in poetic apposition to one another. Remember, Elijah of old preached during a three year period of drought and famine (1 Kings 18:2) and he prophesied that all of Ahab's family would fall by the sword (1 Kings 21 and 2 Kings 9), whereas Moses of old inflicted plagues on Egypt resulting in desolation and destruction. That's why these things are worded two by two.

Damon
Reason:

Return to “Essays and Writings”