What is the House of God?

_Father_of_five

Post by _Father_of_five » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:06 pm

Steve wrote:In the final analysis, however, it is my respect for the superior revelation given by Christ and His apostles, and the clear teaching that this revelation is a corrective to the uninspired Jewish opinions, and that the spiritual reality has forever replaced the types and shadows of the Old Covenant, ....
Steve,

This is well said and is exactly the way I look at the scriptures myself. Thanks for helping to broaden everyone's understanding. I am enjoying your lecture series.

Todd
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:47 am

Just FYI, Todd, the reason I've been having such a difficult time with Steve's viewpoint is because we each come from a totally different premise in trying to interpret the Scriptures. Both he and you look at things from the, IMHO, overly simplistic viewpoint that everything is fulfilled and manifested in Christ. While I don't disagree, I think we need to be careful not to read in to Scripture our own personal interpretation of how everything is fulfilled and manifested in Christ. I believe that it's very important to understand the Scriptures in the cultural context in which they were originally written, and it seems like most of the people who interpret the Scriptures from your viewpoint don't do this.

As I've studied - and I have years of background in this, by the way - the cultural context of the Scriptures necessitate a continuing importance to biblical symbolism. Yes, these "types and shadows" as you call them do indeed point to Christ, but I don't believe that it's a foregone conclusion that they are only a historical reality. I believe that they're also a present as well as a future reality, and that this is a provable fact and not just an interpretation on my part.

That's why there's such a difficulty between us.

Damon
PS. Steve, I'm temporarily stuck using a slow dialup internet connection at home, and I keep running into a 30-second "timeout" error when I try to read threads with very lengthy posts - such as this thread. I had to temporarily edit two of my posts in this thread and delete all of the text from them just to be able to read Todd's latest reply.

Is it possible to have the webmaster change this 30-second timeout to be one minute instead? Tell him it's on line 127 of the "template" script.

PPS. Thank goodness for DSL! I'm back to livable internet connection speeds now. ^_^
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

Return to “Essays and Writings”