a Survey of verses on God's Sovereignty

__id_1497

a Survey of verses on God's Sovereignty

Post by __id_1497 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:03 pm

This is a paper I've been compiling for reference. Enjoy.

FROM THE WESTMINSTER CONFESSION, CHAPTER III, ‘OF GOD’S ETERNAL DECREE’
“God, from all eternity, did—by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will—freely and unchangeably ordain whatever comes to pass. Yet he ordered all things in such a way that he is not the author of sin, nor does he force his creatures to act against their wills; neither is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.”

God preordains all events; is both actively & passively in control of all:

 "Then God said to him in the dream, "Yes, I know that in the integrity of your heart you have done this, and I also kept you from sinning against Me; therefore I did not let you touch her." Genesis 20:6
 "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive." Genesis 50:20
 "The LORD said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Or who makes him mute or deaf, or seeing or blind? Is it not I, the LORD?" Exodus 4:11
 "Then God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech," Judges 9:23
 "The LORD kills and makes alive; He brings down to Sheol and raises up. The LORD makes poor and rich; He brings low, He also exalts." 1 Samuel 2:6-7
 "Now the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD terrorized him. Saul's servants then said to him, "Behold now, an evil spirit from God is terrorizing you. Let our lord now command your servants who are before you. Let them seek a man who is a skillful player on the harp; and it shall come about when the evil spirit from God is on you, that he shall play the harp with his hand, and you will be well." 1 Samuel 16:14-16
 "Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them. The LORD said to Satan, 'From where do you come?' Then Satan answered the LORD and said, 'From roaming about on the earth and walking around on it.' The LORD said to Satan, 'Have you considered My servant Job? For there is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, fearing God and turning away from evil.' Then Satan answered the LORD, 'Does Job fear God for nothing? 'Have You not made a hedge about him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 'But put forth Your hand now and touch all that he has; he will surely curse You to Your face.' Then the LORD said to Satan, 'Behold, all that he has is in your power, only do not put forth your hand on him.' So Satan departed from the presence of the LORD. Now on the day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house, a messenger came to Job and said, 'The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them, and the Sabeans attacked and took them. They also slew the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you.' While he was still speaking, another also came and said, 'The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants and consumed them, and I alone have escaped to tell you.' While he was still speaking, another also came and said, 'The Chaldeans formed three bands and made a raid on the camels and took them and slew the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you.' While he was still speaking, another also came and said, 'Your sons and your daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house, and behold, a great wind came from across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people and they died, and I alone have escaped to tell you.' Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshiped. He said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD.' Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God." Job 1:6-22
 "Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head. And he took a potsherd to scrape himself while he was sitting among the ashes. Then his wife said to him, 'Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!' But he said to her, "You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?" In all this Job did not sin with his lips." Job 2:7-10
 "He makes the nations great, then destroys them; He enlarges the nations, then leads them away." Job 12:23
 "Man, who is born of woman, is short-lived and full of turmoil…Since his days are determined, the number of his months is with You; and his limits You have set so that he cannot pass." Job 14:1, 5
 "Then all his brothers and all his sisters and all who had known him before came to him, and they ate bread with him in his house; and they consoled him and comforted him for all the adversities that the LORD had brought on him. And each one gave him one piece of money, and each a ring of gold." Job 42:11
 "The steps of a man are established by the LORD, and He delights in his way." Psalm 37:23
 "The LORD has established His throne in the heavens, and His sovereignty rules over all." Psalm 103:19
 "And He caused His people to be very fruitful, and made them stronger than their adversaries. He turned their heart to hate His people, to deal craftily with His servants." Psalm 105:24-25
 "Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them." Psalm 139:16
 "The plans of the heart belong to man, But the answer of the tongue is from the LORD…The LORD has made everything for its own purpose, Even the wicked for the day of evil…The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps…The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD." Proverbs 16:1, 4, 9, 33
 "Man's steps are ordained by the LORD, how then can man understand his way?" Proverbs 20:24
 "The king's heart is like channels of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it wherever He wishes." Proverbs 21:1
 "The LORD of hosts has sworn saying, "Surely, just as I have intended so it has happened, and just as I have planned so it will stand,…This is the plan devised against the whole earth; and this is the hand that is stretched out against all the nations." Isaiah 14:24, 26
 "The LORD has mixed within her a spirit of distortion; They have led Egypt astray in all that it does, As a drunken man staggers in his vomit." Isaiah 19:14
 "LORD, You will establish peace for us, since You have also performed for us all our works." Isaiah 26:12
 "Have you not heard? Long ago I did it, from ancient times I planned it. Now I have brought it to pass, that you should turn fortified cities into ruinous heaps." Isaiah 37:26
 "The One forming light and creating darkness, causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these." Isaiah 45:7
 "Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, 'My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure';” Isaiah 46:10
 "'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."' Jeremiah 1:5
 "I know, O LORD, that a man's way is not in himself, nor is it in a man who walks to direct his steps." Jeremiah 10:23
 "Who is there who speaks and it comes to pass, unless the Lord has commanded it? Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both good and ill go forth? Why should any living mortal, or any man, offer complaint in view of his sins? Let us examine and probe our ways, and let us return to the LORD." Lamentations 3:37-40
 "'And if the prophet is enticed to utter a prophecy, I the LORD have enticed that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand against him and destroy him from among my people Israel.'" Ezekiel 14:9**
 "It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men and knowledge to men of understanding." Daniel 2:21
 "but you have exalted yourself against the Lord of heaven; and they have brought the vessels of His house before you, and you and your nobles, your wives and your concubines have been drinking wine from them; and you have praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which do not see, hear or understand. But the God in whose hand are your life-breath and all your ways, you have not glorified." Daniel 5:23
 "If a trumpet is blown in a city, will not the people tremble? If a calamity occurs in a city has not the LORD done it?" Amos 3:6
 "You shall speak to him, saying, 'Thus says the LORD, 'Have you murdered and also taken possession?' And you shall speak to him, saying, 'Thus says the LORD, 'In the place where the dogs licked up the blood of Naboth the dogs will lick up your blood, even yours.'…Micaiah said, "Therefore, hear the word of the LORD. I saw the LORD sitting on His throne, and all the host of heaven standing by Him on His right and on His left. The LORD said, 'Who will entice Ahab to go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?' And one said this while another said that. Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD and said, 'I will entice him.' The LORD said to him, 'How?' And he said, 'I will go out and be a deceiving spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.' Then He said, 'You are to entice him and also prevail. Go and do so.' Now therefore, behold, the LORD has put a deceiving spirit in the mouth of all these your prophets; and the LORD has proclaimed disaster against you.’…Now a certain man drew his bow at random and struck the king of Israel in a joint of the armor. So he said to the driver of his chariot, 'Turn around and take me out of the fight; for I am severely wounded'. The battle raged that day, and the king was propped up in his chariot in front of the Arameans, and died at evening, and the blood from the wound ran into the bottom of the chariot…They washed the chariot by the pool of Samaria, and the dogs licked up his blood (now the harlots bathed themselves there), according to the word of the LORD which He spoke." 1 Kings 21:19; 22:19-23, 34-35, 38
 "Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered." Matthew 10:29-30
 "And the disciples came and said to Him, "Why do You speak to them in parables? Jesus answered them, "To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted." Matthew 13:10-11
 "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it." Matthew 16:18
 "Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world" Matthew 25:34
 "For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother's womb." Luke 1:15
 "At that very time He rejoiced greatly in the Holy Spirit, and said, "I praise You, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants. Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight." Luke 10:21
 "Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures," Luke 24:45
 "John answered and said, "A man can receive nothing unless it has been given him from heaven." John 3:27
 “Therefore they said to Him, "What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?". Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent." John 6:28-29
 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day" …And He was saying, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father." John 6:44, 65
 "You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you." John 15:16
 "this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death." Acts 2:23
 "And on the basis of faith in His name, it is the name of Jesus which has strengthened this man whom you see and know; and the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect health in the presence of you all." Acts 3:16
 "For truly in this city there were gathered together against Your holy servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever Your hand and Your purpose predestined to occur." Acts 4:27-28
 "When they heard this, they quieted down and glorified God, saying, 'Well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life.'" Acts 11:18
 "When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed." Acts 13:48
 "Known to God from eternity are all His works." Acts 15:18
 "A woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple fabrics, a worshiper of God, was listening; and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul." Acts 16:14
 "…and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation," Acts 17:26
 "And when he wanted to go across to Achaia, the brethren encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him; and when he had arrived, he greatly helped those who had believed through grace," Acts 18:27
 "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified." Romans 8:28-30
 "For this is the word of promise: "AT THIS TIME I WILL COME, AND SARAH SHALL HAVE A SON." And not only this, but there was Rebekah also, when she had conceived twins by one man, our father Isaac; for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God's purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls, it was said to her, "THE OLDER WILL SERVE THE YOUNGER." Just as it is written, "JACOB I LOVED, BUT ESAU I HATED." What shall we say then? There is no injustice with God, is there? May it never be! For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION." So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I RAISED YOU UP, TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH." So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires. You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?" On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it? Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles." Romans 9:9-24
 "What then? What Israel is seeking, it has not obtained, but those who were chosen obtained it, and the rest were hardened;" Romans 11:7
 "For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen." Romans 11:36
 "For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith." Romans 12:3
 "Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God." Romans 13:1
 "But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption,..." 1 Corinthians 1:30
 "…yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him." 1 Corinthians 8:6
 "For as the woman originates from the man, so also the man has his birth through the woman; and all things originate from God." 1 Corinthians 11:12
 "Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus is accursed"; and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit." 1 Corinthians 12:3
 “Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God” 2 Corinthians 3:5
 "But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased..." Galatians 1:15
 "also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel*** of His will," Ephesians 1:11
 "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them." Ephesians 2:10
 "This was in accordance with the eternal purpose which He carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord," Ephesians 3:11
 "For to you it has been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake," Philippians 1:29
 "So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." Philippians 2:13
 "For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ," 1 Thessalonians 5:9
 "For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness." 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
 "which He will bring about at the proper time--He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords," 1 Timothy 6:15
 "with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will." 2 Timothy 2:25-26
 "fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2
 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead" 1 Peter 1:3
 "BEHOLD, I LAY IN ZION A CHOICE STONE, A PRECIOUS CORNER stone, AND HE WHO BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED." This precious value, then, is for you who believe; but for those who disbelieve, THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED, THIS BECAME THE VERY CORNER stone," and, A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE"; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed." 1 Peter 2:6-8
 “For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong…Therefore, those also who suffer according to the will of God shall entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right.” 1 Peter 3:17; 4:19
 "Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:" 2 Peter 1:1
 "Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him." 1 John 5:1
 "All who dwell on the earth will worship him, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who has been slain." Revelation 13:8
 "The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to come up out of the abyss and go to destruction. And those who dwell on the earth, whose name has not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, will wonder when they see the beast, that he was and is not and will come." Revelation 17:8

God controls nature:

 "He gives rain on the earth and sends water on the fields," Job 5:10
 "For to the snow He says, 'Fall on the earth,' and to the downpour and the rain, 'Be strong.' He seals the hand of every man, that all men may know His work. Then the beast goes into its lair and remains in its den. Out of the south comes the storm, and out of the north the cold. From the breath of God ice is made, and the expanse of the waters is frozen. Also with moisture He loads the thick cloud; He disperses the cloud of His lightning. It changes direction, turning around by His guidance, that it may do whatever He commands it on the face of the inhabited earth. Whether for correction, or for His world, or for loving kindness, He causes it to happen." Job 37:6-13
 "Have you entered the storehouses of the snow, or have you seen the storehouses of the hail, which I have reserved for the time of distress, for the day of war and battle? Where is the way that the light is divided, or the east wind scattered on the earth? Who has cleft a channel for the flood, or a way for the thunderbolt, to bring rain on a land without people, on a desert without a man in it, to satisfy the waste and desolate land and to make the seeds of grass to sprout?" Job 38:22-27
 "He gives snow like wool; He scatters the frost like ashes. He casts forth His ice as fragments; who can stand before His cold? He sends forth His word and melts them; He causes His wind to blow and the waters to flow." Psalm 147:16-18
 "For I am the LORD your God, who stirs up the sea and its waves roar (the LORD of hosts is His name)." Isaiah 51:15
 "Are there any among the idols of the nations who give rain? Or can the heavens grant showers? Is it not You, O LORD our God? Therefore we hope in You, for You are the one who has done all these things." Jeremiah 14:22
 "Mountains quake because of Him and the hills dissolve; indeed the earth is up heaved by His presence, the world and all the inhabitants in it." Nahum 1:5
 "Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father." Matthew 10:29
 "For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." Colossians 1:16-17

God’s purpose is not subject to man’s desires:

 "Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine;" Exodus 19:5
 "The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains, the world, and those who dwell in it." Psalm 24:1
 "But our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases." Psalm 115:3
 "The king's heart is like channels of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it wherever He wishes." Proverbs 21:1
 "Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, 'My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure';" Isaiah 46:10
 "All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, but He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth; and no one can ward off His hand or say to Him, 'What have You done?'" Daniel 4:35
 "He was also driven away from mankind, and his heart was made like that of beasts, and his dwelling place was with the wild donkeys. He was given grass to eat like cattle, and his body was drenched with the dew of heaven until he recognized that the Most High God is ruler over the realm of mankind and that He sets over it whomever He wishes." Daniel 5:21
 "All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him" Matthew 11:27
 "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12-13
 "For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes." John 5:21
 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you." John 15:13-14
 "For truly in this city there were gathered together against Your holy servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever Your hand and Your purpose predestined to occur." Acts 4:27-28
 "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28
 "For this is the word of promise: "AT THIS TIME I WILL COME, AND SARAH SHALL HAVE A SON." And not only this, but there was Rebekah also, when she had conceived twins by one man, our father Isaac; for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God's purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls, it was said to her, "THE OLDER WILL SERVE THE YOUNGER." Just as it is written, "JACOB I LOVED, BUT ESAU I HATED." What shall we say then? There is no injustice with God, is there? May it never be! For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION." So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I RAISED YOU UP, TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH." So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires. You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?" On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it? Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles." Romans 9:9-24
 "also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel*** of His will," Ephesians 1:11
 "This was in accordance with the eternal purpose which He carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord," Ephesians 3:11
 "For to you it has been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake" Philippians 1:29
 "for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." Philippians 2:13
 "all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." Colossians 1:17
 "We give thanks to God always for all of you, making mention of you in our prayers; constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father, knowing, brethren beloved by God, His choice of you; for our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction; just as you know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake." 1 Thessalonians 1:2-5
 "who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity," 2 Timothy 1:9
 "Who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds." Titus 2:14
 "In the exercise of His will He brought us forth by the word of truth, so that we would be a kind of first fruits among His creatures." James 1:18
 “For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong…Therefore, those also who suffer according to the will of God shall entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right.” 1 Peter 3:17; 4:19

God’s purpose cannot be thwarted:

 "God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?" Numbers 23:19
 "Also the Glory of Israel will not lie or change His mind; for He is not a man that He should change His mind." 1 Samuel 15:29
 "and he said, "O LORD, the God of our fathers, are You not God in the heavens? And are You not ruler over all the kingdoms of the nations? Power and might are in your hand so that no one can stand against You." 2 Chronicles 20:6
 "Were He to snatch away, who could restrain Him? Who could say to Him, 'What are You doing?'" Job 9:12
 "I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted." Job 42:2
 "The counsel*** of the LORD stands forever, the plans of His heart from generation to generation." Psalm 33:11
 "Many plans are in a man's heart, but the counsel*** of the LORD will stand." Proverbs 19:21
 "There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD." Proverbs 21:30
 "The LORD of hosts has sworn saying, "Surely, just as I have intended so it has happened, and just as I have planned so it will stand,…This is the plan devised against the whole earth; and this is the hand that is stretched out against all the nations. For the LORD of hosts has planned, and who can frustrate it? And as for His stretched-out hand, who can turn it back?" Isaiah 14:24, 26-27
 "Even from eternity I am He, and there is none who can deliver out of My hand; I act and who can reverse it?" Isaiah 43:13
 "Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, 'My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure'; calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of My purpose from a far country. Truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass. I have planned it, surely I will do it." Isaiah 46:10-11
 "All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, but He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth; and no one can ward off His hand or say to Him, 'What have You done?'" Daniel 4:35
 "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day...No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day." John 6:37-40, 44
 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand." John 10:27-29
 "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39
 "for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable." Romans 11:29
 "so that you are not lacking in any gift, awaiting eagerly the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will also confirm you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 1:7-8
 "Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption" Ephesians 4:30
 "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6
 "For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know Whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day." 2 Timothy 1:12
 "The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen." 2 Timothy 4:18
 "Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them." Hebrews 7:25
 "fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2
 "for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God" 1 Peter 1:23

*FAQ’s & Notes:
Q: Why do most of these verses occur in the Old Testament?
A:, God’s primary goal in revealing Himself during O.T times was to reveal His nature, attributes, and kingship in His Word. The O.T. presents a specific worldview where man is subject to God; cannot resist God’s plans; and that all events are decreed (decided/spoken/executed) by Him from eternity past. Ancient pagan concepts such as; ‘chance, fate, fortune, randomness, an unwritten/changeable future, and Free Will’, were foreign to God’s faithful in Israel. (Those concepts were the core beliefs of the pagan non-Israelite world; of Babylonian and Egyptian heathens and kings, worshippers of nature, Baal and Dagon, primitive idolaters, Greek philosophers, and eventually Rome. Unfortunately this is also the modern worldview today, even in the Christian churches. It is primarily a western/American view).
In the New Testament, God’s primary goal in further revelation was to point to His Son Jesus Christ, the final and Living Word of God. God’s Sovereignty is found in the N.T.; however the majority of those verses focus more on His absolute control over the salvation of individuals, rather than His control of nature, i.e., “casting of lots”. God’s kingship over all events had already been clearly established in the O.T.

** Ezekiel 14:9: Some versions translate it as “if the prophet is induced to speak anything, I the LORD have induced that prophet” or “if a prophet is deceived and gives a message anyway, it is because I, the LORD, have deceived that prophet”…, the point here is that this man is a false prophet, speaking a false prophecy, which God ordained to occur. This same man is then later destroyed by God.

*** The word “counsel” here does not mean “advice or guidance” but “a plan of action”. Other versions frequently translate it as “plan”. For example, Amos 3:7 in the NIV: “Surely the Sovereign LORD does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets.”, or Jeremiah 19:7 …”'In this place I will ruin the plans of Judah and Jerusalem.” Isaiah 36:5 in the NIV even translates it as “strategy”: “You say you have strategy and military strength…” The point here is that God made His “counsel” or “plan” in eternity past; that which decreed all events that will occur and ever could occur, (as well as not occur,) and nothing can thwart, change, or alter that counsel. Man resisting God’s moral will is part of God’s eternal decree. God decrees the end, and also the means to the end.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_SoaringEagle

Post by _SoaringEagle » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:45 pm

shouldn't this be in the essay section?
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:56 pm

Bilbofett, no one I know denies God's sovereignty.

However, "God's sovereignty" does not (as Calvinists maintain) imply that God is the cause of every event that has ever taken place. Nor does my last sentence imply that some events were uncaused. Rather some events were caused by angels and people, whom God created with the ability to choose.

By the way, the section of the Westminister Confession which you quoted is self-contradictory, and thefore meaningless ----- incomprehensible
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_tartanarmy

Post by _tartanarmy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:06 am

shouldn't this be in the essay section?
No, it should be in your Theology!:roll:

Mark
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:51 pm

FROM THE WESTMINSTER CONFESSION, CHAPTER III, ‘OF GOD’S ETERNAL DECREE’
“God, from all eternity, did—by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will—freely and unchangeably ordain whatever comes to pass. Yet he ordered all things in such a way that he is not the author of sin, nor does he force his creatures to act against their wills; neither is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.”
Paidion is right. This at least appears to be contradictory.

1. God...did...freely and unchangeably ordain whatever comes to pass
2. Yet he ordered all things in such a way that he is not the author of sin

How can these two statements be true at the same time?

When someone sins, is that not part of "whatever comes to pass?".

God bless,
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

Return to “Essays and Writings”