Brother Yun's Book

_JC

Brother Yun's Book

Post by _JC » Fri May 19, 2006 9:33 am

Has anyone read Brother Yun's biography "The Heavenly Man?" This is the most edifying book I've ever read. The amount of miracles that have taken place in his life almost stetch credibility but much of his story can be documented. No one in the Chinese government can explain how he escaped from his heavily guarded prison cell and several people were fired because of it. Althought it's not a theological book he does knock the prosperity movement a little, saying it's a very western view. He says that in China and other poor countires, the gospel is treated as a life or death matter whereas it's more of a social convention in wealthy nations. I have to agree with him.

Anyone else read this book? What were your thoughts?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Fri May 19, 2006 9:52 am

I've just begun to read it.
It is convicting.

It is amazing the miracles that God does to bring people to repentance in an area where the kingdom of God is establishing a beachead (much like in the early church).
Reason:

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Fri May 19, 2006 10:18 am

I read it a few months ago and agree that is has definitely been one of the most encouraging books that I have read.

I do have to admit at times, while reading the book, feeling guilty for living in a free country with no persecution. But my husband encouraged me with 1 Tim 2:1-2 "First of all, then, I urge that entreaties {and} prayers, petitions {and} thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity."

If we are to pray for the authorities so that our lives may be tranquil and quiet (undisturbed), then I shouldn't feel guilty if they are such!

Anyway, I sent the book to my very sheltered, Baptist grandmother for Mother's Day... not really sure how she will react. Hopefully it will be encouraging to her as well.
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_Ely

Post by _Ely » Fri May 19, 2006 10:21 am

Code: Select all

Althought it's not a theological book he does knock the prosperity movement a little, saying it's a very western view. He says that in China and other poor countires, the gospel is treated as a life or death matter whereas it's more of a social convention in wealthy nations. I have to agree with him. 
Yeah I noticed that too. Also, this is a bit of an aside - but one other interesting thing I remember about that book is that in amongst all of the miracles and awesome supernatural experiences, I don't recall Yun ever speaking in tongues.

I actually found the book as unsettling as it was inspiring. It was unsettling because it make syou focus on your own luke-warmness in comparison with Yun. You look at the way he responded to the many, many trials and tests that he underwent and you just think "look at all the silly little things inmy life that I allow to get me down and draw me away fromintimacy with God." It seems to me that we can learn alot from Yun;s experience. Whatever situation in life we find outselves in, whatever day to day ordinary things we do - we should seek to cultivate the longsuffering, patience and faithfulness as Yun. I also likje th efact that he doesn't tryand hide away his faults and shortcomings. He comes across as a simple and humble man, relying on the Lord for all he has.
Reason:
"Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Christ Jesus" Titus 2:13
www.lasttrumpet.com
www.pfrs.org

_JC

Post by _JC » Fri May 19, 2006 11:45 am

I was also convincted at Yun's humility, always giving credit to the Holy Spirit each step of the way. There were also some funny moments, which probably weren't so funny at the time... like when Yun held up his bread in prison to bless it and another prisoner stole it from his hand. I remember thinking how angry I would be and then contrasting that to the way Yun handled it. If more Christians were like Yun (who imitated Christ very closely) there would be a worldwide revival. That may never happen but I can always start with myself.
Reason:

_Ely

Post by _Ely » Fri May 19, 2006 11:56 am

I was also convincted at Yun's humility, always giving credit to the Holy Spirit each step of the way. There were also some funny moments, which probably weren't so funny at the time... like when Yun held up his bread in prison to bless it and another prisoner stole it from his hand. I remember thinking how angry I would be and then contrasting that to the way Yun handled it. If more Christians were like Yun (who imitated Christ very closely) there would be a worldwide revival. That may never happen but I can always start with myself.
Dont' spoil it for Schoel. He's just started reading it :)
Reason:
"Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Christ Jesus" Titus 2:13
www.lasttrumpet.com
www.pfrs.org

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Fri May 19, 2006 1:01 pm

I already know it was Mr. Brown in the library with the candlestick.
Reason:

_Ely

Post by _Ely » Fri May 19, 2006 1:19 pm

I already know it was Mr. Brown in the library with the candlestick.
:lol:
Reason:
www.lasttrumpet.com
www.pfrs.org

_GCS 98

Post by _GCS 98 » Fri May 19, 2006 6:12 pm

I just ordered the Yun book. So it better be good!!!

I'm just kidding.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Sat May 27, 2006 7:16 pm

I just read the book because of all the things you guys said here. Wow. Just...wow.
Reason:

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”