Demystifying Revelation

_Anonymous

Demystifying Revelation

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:31 am

Has anyone seen this Preterist DVD by Gary DeMar and Kenneth Gentry? Is it recommendable? I have read quite a few preterist books, but I would be rather interested in anyone's review/opinion of this 2005 release. Also, is anyone aware of any existing eschatology debates (audio/video/book) format besides the Ice/Gentry debate? Thank you. God Bless.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Sean

Re: Demystifying Revelation

Post by _Sean » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:50 pm

temporary name wrote:Has anyone seen this Preterist DVD by Gary DeMar and Kenneth Gentry? Is it recommendable? I have read quite a few preterist books, but I would be rather interested in anyone's review/opinion of this 2005 release. Also, is anyone aware of any existing eschatology debates (audio/video/book) format besides the Ice/Gentry debate? Thank you. God Bless.
Where is this available from? I haven't seen it.

Have you listened to Steve's ‘Eschatology series’ called 'When Shall These Things Be?' You can find it here: http://www.thenarrowpath.com/mp3table.html

Steve used to be a dispensational futurist and is now a amillennial partial preterist.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:52 pm

type "demystifying revelation" into a search engine and you will find some dvd by demar and gentry made in 2005. It's on some weird website, that is why I was looking to see if anyone has seen it or has any feedback on it. I really would like a debate format, because I think within that context, preterism shines as the elusive issues cannot be escaped by dispensationalists (such as why take Revelation literally? why a distinction between the church and Israel? etc.).

Steve's series on eschatology is the best I've ever heard. I listen to it on mp3 while I'm jogging. I am so grateful for it. Steve, I would love to see you debate a dispensationalist. It would be good for everyone involved. I'd especially like to see you debate Ed Hindson so that he could called on the carpet for his unnecessary cheap shots. Debates are so helpful to finding the truth.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:12 pm

I'd like to see Steve debate Norm Geisler, who is currently writing a book defending futurist position as we speak. I would think that Hank Hanagraff could arrange such an event, since he is friends with both men, would be the best debate in the history of the planet, IMHO.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:25 am

Great ideas both! I'll contact Hank and see if he can arrange a debate with Geisler. Don't know how to arrange anything with Hinson, but I would be open to it. DeMar and Gentry are good men. I haven't seen the DVD you mentioned, but I'd like to. I would only disagree, probably, with a few points...andf I could be the one who is wrong!
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:51 pm

I'd also be very interested in a Geisler/Gregg dialogue/debate
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_Anonymous

try this link

Post by _Anonymous » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:37 am

http://www.armageddonbooks.com/preterist4.html

This is what I am talking about, but I remain hesitant to buy anything from this website unless someone else can confirm that this is a legitimate product.

Wow! If Steve really does debate Geisler, I believe that will be so edifying for all. Geisler is probably the most credible, respected and known person I'm aware of who embraces dispensationalism (or perhaps John MacArthur). Certainly, the position would be fairly represented. I am interested in hearing if he has any arguments other than Steve's arguments (or former ones I should say) from his eschatology series. Anyhow, I think Steve will more than adequately articulate the preterist position.

Now Hindson, on the other hand, would be a significantly less edifying debate. That doesn't mean I don't want to see it, I'm just doubtful that Hindson would agree to it. He (and the crew from Liberty University) have been making the rounds "defending" dispensationalism and "clarifying prophecy misconceptions." This essentially amounts to defamation of preterists and an utter misrepresentation of the position. Frankly, I've had enough of it and would like to observe opinions of the dispensational faithful after a debate. Suddenly, preterism might not seems as ridiculous or heretical. I seriously doubt that Hindson would be willing to debate, I mean, why would he when he always seems to have a platform to bash and mischaracterize preterism without someone to correct him? I only say this will not be as edifying because Hindson is simply not very credible. But if he is worthy enough to travel around on a campaign against preterism, shouldn't he embrace the opportunity to a moderated debate where he can set things straight once and for all?

Ultimately, I'd really like to see the debate not as much because I'd like to see preterism's exposure/credibility increase, but even more because debate allows the best arguments to be tested. Critical analysis of these arguments help lead us to the truth, and we should all embrace this, no matter what position we hold. That is why Steve's parallel commentary is truly unique. I hope a debate will materialize. There will certainly be interest and its about time Christians could critically compare, analyze, and evaluate eschatology, since it is such a popular subject in contemporary teaching.
Reason:

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”